inTank Media Baskets

Pickle's AIO 40 BDR

Pickle010

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice pictures man.... frag swap???

I'll let you know... I spent a lot of time fragging last year and swaping / selling corals that right now I'm just enjoying leaving my stuff alone. I guess the lat thing I want to do to my tank right now is make it look like a frag tank again.

But I do want to set up a small frag tank this summer.

Thanks Danny... She seems tohave setled in right in the middle of my xenia... Teh xenia doesn't seem to mind so I hope it works out there. My clowns still ahve no idea what it is... I don't even think they've noticed it yet. No worries though.. I don't really care if they host it or not. It would make feeding easier though.

Looks like I finally made a deal on selling my BC29 - I actually just got it back out of storage and posted it on my local reef club site. Anyhow, I think it's a good trade that going to include some cash + some corals one of which is a nice frag of GARF Bonsai which is like the one found HERE

Anyhow, making the trade this weekend.. I'll post pics once I get it in my tank.

• 3 weeks later...

Read through your thread and love how you set the tank up! Im thinking about doing something very similar to a 55 gal. Was it difficult adding in the false wall? And for your tank is just very similar to putting together 2 nanocubes as far as the return pumps, filter floss, etc? Thanks for any info that you can give me!

Hey treygarz my only concern with your plans is that a 55 isn't very wide. If it's a standard tank then it's about 13 inches wide. If you put a false wall in and left yourself enough room for pumps in the rear chambers that will leave you with a display that's right around 9 inches wide and kind of tall. Now that's if you did it coast to coast across the entire length of the back. Something you might want to consider first is drilling the tank and going with a standard sump. Even with 14 inches in my display - I still wish I had the other 4 and can gaurantee that the next build I will drill and have a sump.

If you are set on the AIO concept - you could consider doing a AIO where you use one end of the tank. And make the false wall go from front to back so that you still have the entire with of your tank but it's just not as wide in the display. For examply if you blocked off one foot you'd still have 36" of display that is 13 inches wide.

Making the wall was very easy... I premeasured the back wall and had it precut to size and the parts I used for the baffles came from the scrap bin at the acrylic shop. I drilled my returns myself and notched my overflow - a table saw made that pretty simple to do.

My rear compartments I modeled after the rear chambers of my bc29 - just much wider. If you go back through this thread I have it all sketched out and posted. And yes... I built in a media rack and run filter floss and chemi-pure elite as well.

Hey treygarz my only concern with your plans is that a 55 isn't very wide. If it's a standard tank then it's about 13 inches wide. If you put a false wall in and left yourself enough room for pumps in the rear chambers that will leave you with a display that's right around 9 inches wide and kind of tall. Now that's if you did it coast to coast across the entire length of the back. Something you might want to consider first is drilling the tank and going with a standard sump. Even with 14 inches in my display - I still wish I had the other 4 and can gaurantee that the next build I will drill and have a sump.

Well I'm kind of new to all this but let me see if this is right.... a 40 gal breeder would be wider than a 55 bowfront? Just curious because I know that the 55 gal in general really aren't that wide and I didn't know if being a bowfront would have any difference. Thanks again for the information and again your tank looks awesome!

Well I'm kind of new to all this but let me see if this is right.... a 40 gal breeder would be wider than a 55 bowfront? Just curious because I know that the 55 gal in general really aren't that wide and I didn't know if being a bowfront would have any difference. Thanks again for the information and again your tank looks awesome!

Now that I would have to look up... you'll notice I stated "standard 55". I don't know the dimensions of the bow front off hand. Just measure your tank front to back on the sides and in the middle and then figure for about 4 inches for your rear compartments and see what you have left over to work with in the display.

You definitely couldn't do the "end" flow I was talking about with the bow front... that would look just wrong. I still think your best bet and what would make you happiest in the end would be to drill it and go with the sump. BUT that's just my opinion.

Good luck.

crappy tank, start over

GFY!!! and don't think I'm not considering it.

Hey Pickle!

Tank is looking great! I'm jealous of all the room you have in that thing.

I'm moving up to that area pretty soon too (Reedley to be exact) Did you have any heat issues with the tank? It's a lot hotter and drier up there than in Huntington, i'm a little nervous about the tank temp.

What local club did you hook up with? i'm curious.....

Hey Cali -

Welcome to the neighborhood - Reedley is about 60 miles north of me... you'll be on the north side of Fresno if I'm not mistaken. I understand that you'll at least have a few decent LFS in that area.

The temps here get much hotter then the average annual of 78 that you have probably gotten used to (and much colder in the winter) the summer seemed to last forever and hit 108 - 110 often. I have central AC and keep the house comfortable but still ran a chiller just in case and I was glad I did.

The local reef club is CVReefers.org - most of them run 75 to 300 gallon tanks and some are just starting to get into the "Nano" thing. The site just started a Nano section and last I looked there was a 19 or so threads. I know... pretty crazy.

Most of the people are pretty cool and I've come across some good deals - You can get a huge tank pretty cheap becuase a lot of people are down sizing because of the cost of running and cooling a big tank.

I was really dissapointed with what's available out here - I just spend more time ordering supplies and stuff online. We where really spoiled in the OC.

Need any help with anything let me know.

Wow, i'm suprised the Nano's haven't caught on as much... maybe more exposure in the cities in needed.

Reedley is actually south of Fresno. You mentioned your wife went to Visalia, it's pretty close to that. Kingsburg and Clovis are the neighboring areas. Don't I know about the heat! I went up there this summer to visit my parents, i was sooooo glad to be back down here with the ocean breeze! I think i liked the colder weather tho, i got to wear my fun jackets :D

I'll look up that club! Did you know there is a big aquarium research center being built in Fresno? It's all based on donations so i'm sure it'll take a while but it's called Aquarius Aquarium.

Anyway, i'm crossing my fingers the move up there goes smoothly. I'll be packing a few jugs of saltwater, as well as saving as much tank water as possible. Did you empty your sandbed? or buy new stuff?

I used the move as an excuse to upgrade my BC29 to my 40bdr. I set up the 40 at the new house with new sand and some extra LR then just let it cycle. A month later I turned a large ice chest into a make shift tank complete with heater and power heads that I ran off the car and transported my tank contents to the new tank. I still have the old sand in a sealed bucket somewhere in case I want to use it for something else later on.

That's good info on the place in Fresno... I'll deffinately check it out.

So... pretty good week for some trades and aquisitions from some local reefers...

I picked up some new monti caps:

IMG_5302.jpg

IMG_5300.jpg

Oh.. and I especailly like this one... hard to see in the pics but it's green with blue polyps:

IMG_5299.jpg

Oh... and this week my wife made some aquisitions of her own. I'm not that happy about it but what can you do? First off... I'm allergic to cats. It takes a couple of weeks but eventually I get used to them and it doesn't bother me anymore. We have a 4 year old siamesse that I just love and somehow this guy showed up at the house last week:

IMG_5277.jpg

And apparently my wife has the abillity to frag them becuase tonight I found this:

IMG_5287.jpg

They tried to convince me it was the same cat... but I busted them:

IMG_5304.jpg

Oh my heart just melted!! :wub:

I love Calico's! looks like they might be Long Haired too... haha Those two little girls are going to steal your heart and let you know they rule the house! Apparently it's an inborn trait of the coloring! haha

Well maybe as your driving past on your way to your new home some can somehow magically appear in your car. I don't know how it got in there... :huh:

Paleoreef103
Well maybe as your driving past on your way to your new home some can somehow magically appear in your car. I don't know how it got in there... :huh:

Nah. Just reminder that turnabout is fair play by having a MP20 magically show up on your doorstep. Or a 75 gallon tank... B) I swear honey, I don't know how this three hundred dollar pump ended up on the credit card bill or in my tank....

Nah. Just reminder that turnabout is fair play by having a MP20 magically show up on your doorstep. Or a 75 gallon tank... B) I swear honey, I don't know how this three hundred dollar pump ended up on the credit card bill or in my tank....

LOL... problem is I already have her beat hands down in the toy and stuff purchasing department.

Archived