ReefCleaners.org

Pickle's AIO 40 BDR

Pickle010

Nice setup but sorry to hear you have to move again so soon, just get some of those 35g trashcans on wheels to help you move water, or maybe one of those coolers on wheels so you can easily transport it. keep that nano around to drop corals into while you move tank stand and LR etc. If I was near you I'd offer to help ya out but since I'm on the east coast... you'd have to pay for my plane ticket :P

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure it will go fine... it's just more of the hassle. Almost makes me want to set up another - bigger tank at the new place and transfer everything in there like I did the last move. But I know the wife will never go for it. (DRAT) I haven't had the 40 set up for 4 or 5 months now. I think it's too soon to throw another upgrade at her.

On another note... holy snail invasion batman!!! I just counted well over 100 baby snails on my glass and there must be just as many on my rocks. I've had snails hatch in my tank before but never in these kind of numbers. This is just crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have any pics showing the back of your tank? I'm going to be doing a AIO 40 breeder frag tank in the near future and am looking for ideas. I'm pretty sure I know how I'm going to configure the chambers / baffle set up, but I'm interested to see what you did with yours.

Hey Glenn... sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I don't have a pic but I roughed out a sketch of what's back there for you.

Rear.jpg

The longer return line is flexable tubbing - made it a lot easier for lining up the holes through the bafles that it runs through.

HTH

Hey Glenn... sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I don't have a pic but I roughed out a sketch of what's back there for you.

Rear.jpg

The longer return line is flexable tubbing - made it a lot easier for lining up the holes through the bafles that it runs through.

HTH

Looks good!! Thanks for posting the diagram I really appreciate it. What are you using for retrun pumps? Is there anything you would change if you were to do it all over?

Looks good!! Thanks for posting the diagram I really appreciate it. What are you using for retrun pumps? Is there anything you would change if you were to do it all over?

The returns are rio 8's - the work well but I think I'll put in something a little larger when I replace them. I'm also running a pair of koralia 2's in the display.

What would I change?

Don't get me wrong... this is really good and very functional - but next time I'm going to drill and go with a sump below. The rear chambers are only 4" wide but that's 4 inches I sometimes wish I had. I'll probably turn this one into a frag tank when I build my 75 (dreaming here)

• 1 month later...
Hahahaha yes!

Bump for an update! :D

I know I've been lacking here. Just finished my new house and slowly moving stuff in. We have boxes everywhere - but at least the big screen got hung on the wall. I'll be ready for the tank in a week or two. Still dreading having to move it again.

HeyLookItsCaps

dang it mike!

i have an aio acrylic that was setup incorrectly.....and the AIO part didnt really work. so i had to nix the tank. im rebuilding it now......and im gonna do a similar setup to yours, would i get decent flow with 1 big pump Yed out to each side for flow? wish you were still in the neighborhood so i could apprentice for you

dang it mike!

i have an aio acrylic that was setup incorrectly.....and the AIO part didnt really work. so i had to nix the tank. im rebuilding it now......and im gonna do a similar setup to yours, would i get decent flow with 1 big pump Yed out to each side for flow? wish you were still in the neighborhood so i could apprentice for you

Hey Caps... 1 BIG pump might do the trick. Depends on how large of tank you are doing and what type of return system you are looking at. Also you have to take in account how big that back section is going to be. I would plan it around the pump.

I mean - when I built mine I made my back section 4" wide because I have large hands and I wanted room to work back there. What I should of done was put more thought into the pump first and built the rear section to accomadate whatever I wanted to put in there.

I still have some flexability, I don't like the pumps I'm using now but now I'm limited to the best pump or pumps that will fit.

If you are going with a 40 or something to that affect I still recommend plumbing in a sump - you'll have more options, more water and more area in your display.

AND SO IT IS DONE....

It's 1:45 AM and I just finished moving my tank. I wasn't planning on moving it just yet, but my sister-in-laws plans to paint and renovate a little in my old place made me think that now would be a good idea.

It took almost 5 hours in all. What kills me is the last time I moved the tank I rushed to get everything in it since it was almost 6 or 7 hours in the car. I thought no worries - I'll be re-scaping again when I move it in a few months. Well I actually put some thought into my scape tonight and I don't think it looks anywhere near as good as the throw it all in the tank job I did last time.

Anyhow, my fish are confused, my coral is pissed off and I'm exhausted. Guess I'll see what I got tomorrow when the light come on.

I just looked through your thread and I really like the tank. Good luck in getting an aquascape that you're happy with. That's always difficult.

HeyLookItsCaps

ive noticed over time, any aquascape becomes your "ideal scape" after you look at it for 5-7 days. its all about acclimating to your tank ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's been a while since I posted anything about my own tank. I guess I've been bummed about some of the stuff I lost in the last move. Amazingly I lost more moving my tank 200 feet to my new house then I did moving my tank 200 miles.

Then tonight is my latest loss - my Bengai Cardinal turned into a meal, sorry for the crappy pic but it's the best I can get right now:

byebyebengai.jpg

Yes... that's his head sticking up out the nem. Good bye buddy!

• 1 month later...
Hey hey pickle, I see you posting all the time on CVReefers.org good to see your tank.

It's been a while since I've updated...

Yeah Prop - I guess it comes with the territory - I've got some plans to expand this next year, I'm half way considering a system plummed like your old set up with a tank and frag tank sharring a sump. We'll see though.

Fierce, I just started getting more active on CVR since I've got a little more settled in to the new house. I joined last week and gave away and traded off some Xenia - It paid back with dividends!

One of the member hooked me up with this acro - complete with acro crab living in it. I really like this piece and it's cool to watch the crab doing his thing in there:

IMG_4781.jpg

For some of the Xenia another guy hooked me up with this ric... he said orange but this guy is almost red (pic with flash):

IMG_4717.jpg

After losing the Bengai I went to Ultimate in Bakersfield and picked up this 6 line - Always a favorite of mine:

IMG_4724.jpg

Found a little more information on the Crab in the Acro:

"Crabs found in heads of SPS corals are usually of the Family Xanthidae. They are typically commensals which sometimes protect the coral from predatory fish or invertebrates. However, all of these crabs should be watched carefully as not all of the Xanthids are harmless"

Another source:

"Acro crabs are harmless commensals, apparently living in harmony with their associated coral. It is unknown what they feed on, but presumably the mucus secreted by the coral or perhaps particles trapped by the coral polyps. One of the thumbnails shows a crab eating the detritus captured by a large tube worm mucus net which is near its coral head. They will also eat meaty food that falls into the coral, but they do not need to be specially fed. They will die if separated from their coral and should be left where they are found. They will sometimes migrate from coral to coral, but usually stay within the same coral colony."

• 1 month later...
You have some of the best pics. Super clear. Any chance of you catching all of us up to date with some new pics :huh: ? Full TS, Left side TS and Right side TS.

Yeah... I'm due for an update. I'll see about getting some fresh pics up soon.

Archived