Cultivated Reef

** StevieT's How to Glue Coral Thread **

StevieT

Thank you for this thread.

I must be doing something wrong with the epoxy/putty because you are right it does not provide the hold that is needed, everything i have used it for thus far is jiggling. it does not feel particularly hard to me either. Home Depot does not carry aquamend anymore, what they have (and what i bought) is water weld HomeDepot water weld

This epoxy is white with a white center making the kneading and mixing difficult as you cannot see if you mixed it well or not. I suspect this may be the actual problem. The product says:

"WaterWeld Epoxy Stick helps make repairs in moist applications and underwater applications. This epoxy adheres to a variety of surfaces including fiberglass, PVC plastic, copper, iron and aluminum. Helps to make repairs in moist applications and underwater applications"

So why is it jiggling when I applied it outside of the tank and even waited before putting the rocks back in the tank?

Anyway, the superglue gel idea on top of putty is best, I did try that on one small piece. My original problem remains however, this epoxy is useless. Is there any other epoxy that can be suggested? Repeat: Home Depot does NOT sell aquamend anymore.

Thank you

Thank you for this thread.

I must be doing something wrong with the epoxy/putty because you are right it does not provide the hold that is needed, everything i have used it for thus far is jiggling. it does not feel particularly hard to me either. Home Depot does not carry aquamend anymore, what they have (and what i bought) is water weld HomeDepot water weld

This epoxy is white with a white center making the kneading and mixing difficult as you cannot see if you mixed it well or not. I suspect this may be the actual problem. The product says:

"WaterWeld Epoxy Stick helps make repairs in moist applications and underwater applications. This epoxy adheres to a variety of surfaces including fiberglass, PVC plastic, copper, iron and aluminum. Helps to make repairs in moist applications and underwater applications"

So why is it jiggling when I applied it outside of the tank and even waited before putting the rocks back in the tank?

Anyway, the superglue gel idea on top of putty is best, I did try that on one small piece. My original problem remains however, this epoxy is useless. Is there any other epoxy that can be suggested? Repeat: Home Depot does NOT sell aquamend anymore.

Thank you

If you are using the epoxy to hold heavy rocks together, it won't hold all that great. You may need to drill the rock and use acrylic rods along with epoxy to provide the needed support.

Deleted User 6
Yep, never had luck with epoxy and rock to rock. Acrylic rod is the way to go

Left rock was epoxy/glue. Use a #### ton though.

945023626_zcDPy-L.jpg

Never fell apart.

You live

and learn

and scape with live rock three times because you keep moving the same tank -_-

then you use acrylic rod

and are happy

k-bye

Wow, I think I'll stay a noob, to avoid cussing at people I barely know. lol.

My LR was ordered "live" and was extremely challenging to scape and I knew this already.

Dry rock scaping is infinitely 'easier', even though I am sure it wasn't easy.

But hardly challenging. Yawn.

that poem sucks.

i have one:

you noob

you scape with live rock

what a ####ing noob.

I ####ing loved that ####ing awesome ####ty ass poem

And I do know Hault, I ship him things like rubber bands

I will forever be a ####ing n00b because I keep using the same rock

and you spelled n00b wrong n00b

But hardly challenging. Yawn.

boosh :happy:

And I do know Hault, I ship him things like rubber bands

Lol good to know, because I'm (-) this close to ordering a bunch of stuff from your site Stevie, if I get rubber bands I'll know it was you! I'm thinking of the submersible underwater light for the Chaeto I received today for one.

Hault, didn't like your poem but love the avatar and the taxi image in your posts. :) You're still up one point I think.

Deleted User 6

Stevie, your glue container got all ####ed up after i used about 3/4 of it. Protip: Don't curl it up from the bottom like a toothpaste container. It just cracks in the tube part and gets all over your hand/desk/thatwhatshesaid.

• 3 weeks later...