Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

** StevieT's How to Glue Coral Thread **

StevieT

hey stevie i just bought this stuff... not sure if its the right stuff... it says steel filled.... thats why i ask

just need to be sure before i use it

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

thanks!

I would be nervous about anything that said it has steel in it. Looking at the MSDS deosn't show it on the ingredients that I can see, but I am not a chemist.

Personally I would not use it.

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/instance...XY_%20PUTTY.pdf

Found more here:

putty.jpg

i think the stuff in the post with the lock tight brand is the same stuff just with a different name... because i cant find a MSDS for that one....

i defanatly wont use that one.... will have to go to home depot this weekend.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
andrewguilfoy

I'm new at this and I've never worked with polyps before, I'm looking into getting some mushrooms and polyps, (it's in a petco soft coral pack) Does this information still pertain those types of corals? like button polyps and such?

Thanks!

the pack i'm thinking of getting:

I have a 20L, 22lbs of live rock with no corals at the moment. A clean up crew, two clowns, and a royal gramma.

http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=1036106

For just a polyp use superglue only. Mushrooms do not glue so you will have to use another method if they are not already attached to a rock. If they are then use the entire method of gluing. If not try a shot glass and a piece of rubble. It will attach itself.

I have seen some puttys that make your skimmer go nuts for a few days, any recomendations?

This moment was great...i was hoping he would throw his shoes at him. LOL

• 1 month later...

What if the coral isnt attached to a rock yet? Ive tried super gluing it directly to the rock but had bad results. I added 5 rics to my tank once and the only one that I superglued directly to the rocks, has now shrunken to about 1/5 of a penny while the others have grown 3 times as big and have split.

Rics like all mushrooms are hard to glue. You have to allow them to attach themselves.

One method involves using a shot glass and a piece of small rubble. Place the coral in the shot glass with the rubble, grind into your sand and wait. Coral will attach itself. Now you can glue the rock with the ric attached wherever you want.

• 3 weeks later...

How do you remove the things after using this method? Will they just pull right back out? I have something I need to glue down, but Im going to need to move it when my new light comes.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So it looks like more and more Home Depot stores are dumping Aquamend. I was in there today looking for resupply since I am moving my tank again this coming weekend.

This is the replacement you are looking for, sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. JB Water weld which is discussed in this thread. I have used it in the past even while having a supply of aquamend. All of these type of putties for the most part are one in the same

IMG00123-20100922-1157.jpg

7160234_jbw_8277_pri_larg.jpg

Notice the newly branded packaging.

• 1 month later...
igotreefermadness

Hey just a heads up. I picked up an epoxy putty at home depot named "Harvey's Epoxy Putty" and began to fasten rock and coral in my tank with it. Shortly after my staghorn Acro began to STN and is now fully bleached. I have another SPS frag that is browned out, my zoas have been closed for three days, my mushroom wont fully extend, and my frogspawn doesnt want to extend either.

I have done two 50% water changes in two days and they are still all pissed. I just wanted to forewarn anybody that there are some brands out there that may have harmful chemicals in them that could cost the lives of some animals. But still a great writeup and my corals are all positioned perfectly via StevieT's advice.

Next time I'm definitely going with the reef safe approved stuff though.

Hey just a heads up. I picked up an epoxy putty at home depot named "Harvey's Epoxy Putty" and began to fasten rock and coral in my tank with it. Shortly after my staghorn Acro began to STN and is now fully bleached. I have another SPS frag that is browned out, my zoas have been closed for three days, my mushroom wont fully extend, and my frogspawn doesnt want to extend either.

I have done two 50% water changes in two days and they are still all pissed. I just wanted to forewarn anybody that there are some brands out there that may have harmful chemicals in them that could cost the lives of some animals. But still a great writeup and my corals are all positioned perfectly via StevieT's advice.

Next time I'm definitely going with the reef safe approved stuff though.

I would think that anything that says its safe for potable water applications would be reef safe...

JB's WaterWeld works, but I think Home Depot picked it up because it costs them less and they can sell it for the same price and get a greater profit margin.

I'm assuming it's cheaper because:

1) It's all one color instead of the green and white of aquamend. It's harder to tell when it's fully mixed because it's monotone to start.

2) It's sticky. Not the good sticky. Like aquamend, it doesn't want to stick to rocks on its own, but it does want to stick to your hands and fingers. ANNOYING!

It also smells worse than aquamend. It's smells like urine and peanuts.

igotreefermadness
I would think that anything that says its safe for potable water applications would be reef safe...

I know and I'd assumed that all the products were the same general thing. On another post there was a comment about some putties possibly having harmful metals in them. I just know everybody in the tank was a happy camper up until I stuck that putty in. I've done two 50% WC's in two days and I'm still getting bad reactions from all the corals. But they are beginning to look a little better..aside from my staghorn. Just my .02

And it smelled like piss and peanuts too lol

Edited by igotreefermadness