inTank Media Baskets

Mercuryne's 28G Algae Farm

Mercuryne

My son Boo.. the reason i dont have time to take photos of fish and coral these days.

Fair Trade, if you ask me!

BoosBikeHelmet.jpg

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sexy Shrimp
I would love to read your thread if you have one?
Refering to chuckfullofservice

Have a look - he's advising newbies that it is ok to use tap water ;)

Don't stress with his comments.

You're doing great. The tank looks like its coming along nicely!

what are you thinking pothead , letting the little one ride a hot rod!! Good looking kid man and the coralline is doing so much better in yours than mine. I must have FUBARED something.

Refering to chuckfullofservice

Have a look - he's advising newbies that it is ok to use tap water ;)

Don't stress with his comments.

You're doing great. The tank looks like its coming along nicely!

L34NN3,

i had to chuckle at your message....I believe that I, and the Algae farm are perfect case study of why NOT to use Tap water...although i have defeated the tall, free flowing green and red algae. I thought for a while it would be the death of me. Cant imagine that Chuckfull would chastise me about my tank and then recommend tap.. Hmmm.. oh well.. Thanks for stopping by the thread.

what are you thinking pothead , letting the little one ride a hot rod!! Good looking kid man and the coralline is doing so much better in yours than mine. I must have FUBARED something.

MONK.. hey brother how the heck are ya?

bought a new bicycle this weekend and added the toddler seat so that he can ride with me.

He LOVED IT..everytime i would slow down going up a hill, he'd pat me on the back and say MORE MORE MORE..haa.. i was about to pass out!

Dude.. are you not getting any coralline? or just not that much?

i have to go look at your thread to see.

He's so cute!

THANK YOU LALANI.. i think he's pretty cool.

Im getting some its just slow going plus I did take some of the rock out and put it back in after killing some unwanted hitchhikers so that didnt help the coralline much either. They do love the bike seat I just got the little one her first bike with training wheels she loves it.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

ok ok ok.

So im sure ive been written off here, and rightly so. its been almost six month since i bothered to post an update on the 28G nanocube....But i am indeed alive.. just been really horrible about posting. Has it really been almost 6 months? yeah ok.. lets have it..

Ya'll go ahead and roast me up.

i deserve it.....

my son is two now and he commands so much of my time. (happy to be commanded..)

works been crazy busy too.. on a great note.... one of the acts that i work with Sugarland, took home two Country Music Association awards last week at our annula awards show. "Duo Of the Year" and "Song Of The Year" for STAY.

big night for us here in Tune town.

On the other hand. my 28 G nano is still very much alive and thriving i might add. I will take new photos this weekend and post. my Reef is what maybe 10 months old now? and i havent lost much (knock on glass) except for a few snails and the odd hermit crab, and and im pretty sure that i somehow starved my diamond spot goby fish to death.....but all the original corals are still living.

im having a small outbreak of cyano lately and not sure why but i'm stepping up my changes to try and do away with it.

Havent added too much either.. a new emerald crab and three blue/green chromis fish. also a nice orange Monti cap... that's growing and curling well.

WEETY, the zoas that you sent me are thriving. well two of the three varieties are. Pretty sure the emerald crab ate most of the Katara blues but the other two.. the angel food ? and the evil mels Green skirts are rollin. the green ones especially...they are about to take over the rock they are on.

My neon green candy cane polyps have split a number of times and where i started with 4 heads, i think i now have maybe 12 or so.

I believe the fact that i havent added too much too quickly has allowed the tank to mature and cycle really really well. its really healthy.

I'm ordering a new bulb for the MH lamp tonight. i've probably waited too long for that too but it'll be nice to get a fresh one in.

like i said.. photos are coming soon.

Miss my old friends Weety, Monkfish and Lalani etc.

along with many others who were so nice to me in getting started. H20 and Klarion etc.

you guys still reefing?

Going now to try and catch up on all the threads that i use to follow.

hoping you guys will roast me then let me back in. ha.

Mercuryne

hoping you guys will roast me then let me back in. ha.

Roast you? Yes.

Let you back in? No.

J/K! :lol:

So glad to see you're still around Merc! Was wondering what happened to ya!

Can't wait for new pics. :)

P.S. Let me know if you still want some of those red-skirted zoas!

Roast you? Yes.

Let you back in? No.

J/K! :lol:

So glad to see you're still around Merc! Was wondering what happened to ya!

Can't wait for new pics. :)

P.S. Let me know if you still want some of those red-skirted zoas!

Lalani.....ACK.. i just had a bit of a heart attack.....i thought you were dead serious.

dang..thought you were serious.. had to scroll down..

YES! YES! YES! have to tell you a story.. i have the perfect rock for zoa's i actually gave it a stupid name..

"zoa finger rock" i have a small colony of super cool zoa's on the top left finger that Weety GAVE me.. and ive not added anymore to the other fingers cause i couldnt find a color that was better than your "reds" at my local LFS's.

So.. will gladly purchase....or trade something..

my Frogspawn has grown soo much that i actually spit it last week into two separate branches.. i started with two heads.. it had grown to six.. would gladly swap ya, if you wanted something like that for one of your fantastic tanks..

let me know.

Mercuryne

Sorry buddy, didn't mean to scare you....... well maybe I did, just a little. :D

There is already a frag of those zoas with your name on it.... :)

thanks for the laugh, and just tell me how you want me to handle.. pay pal or check or whatever..

whenever you get ready to do your next run to the mail box...PM me and i'll send you my address etc....

damn fantastic.. you have any other colors with a frag you would sell?

i have five more fingers to fill......

you are the best.

FTS UPDATE.

Time to get caught up.

After many months of being away from the nano reef site.. (just been busy)

I finally took some updated tank shots.. my 28 G nano is now 10months old..

ive moved so slowly adding things that i feel its been a HUGE benefit to the tank.. properly cycled.. and maturing nicely.

Ive added a few new things since my last postings in June but not a lot...

There is a new Monti Cap, a nice mushroom rock with red and green shrooms (that may have been in there at the time of my last post)

i split my Frogspawn into two branches. and the Zoa's that i got so generously from WEETABIX are doing really well. the coralline is spreading nicely on the rocks, and i've made no attempts to remove it from the back wall of the cube. good color!

i really want to add more stuff. and with the help of Lalani, the "zoa finger rock" on the top left hand corner will soon have some new colonies.

here are some updated shots of my 10 month old 28G nano cube.

FTS

Mercurynes28gnano10months.jpg

Side View

sideview-10months.jpg

Mushroom Rock with Green striped and Red

shrooms-10months.jpg

top finger of "Zoa Finger Rock"

this colony started with one polyp given to me by Weety

Weetysdonation.jpg

BEFORE:

this shot taken when i first placed this polyp

AngelfoodonZoafingerMountain.jpg

More of Weetys Polyps..

"Evil Mel's Green Skirts"

I think this was three total to start with... look at them gooooo.

WeetysGreenSkirts-startedwiththree.jpg

Before: when evil mels were first placed.

EvilMelsGreenSkirts.jpg

Jus as Weetabix predicted when she sent these zoa's to me. The Green Skirts are spreading much faster than the others..

there are also some katara blues in my reef from her, but i believe one of my crabs ate them.

at least most of them. There are a few that survived the attack. that colony had grown to about 15 or 18.. there are maybe five tiny ones left. I've read that the green hairy legged crabs have been known to do this.

Its true...i've got my eye on him.

About to swap out the MH Bulb in my reef.

Anybody have a favorite they would suggest?

Its 150, double ended..i'm just not sure which brand to go with?

which provides the best overall color?

Thanks

Mercuryne

going to try a bag of Purigen in the morning to polish things a bit. also..a few new Turbo snails. two new hermits.. and FINALLY a small frag of GSP's.

photos coming once GSP is placed.

Enjoy the "Bird" today.. and be thankful....dig?

New Aquascape!

As i am given to my own thoughts about my horrible aquascaping skills.. i am often messing with my tank.

I guess since this is my first nano reef, i didnt really have a good grasp on the right chunks of Live Rock for what i wanted to do and i just bought a bunch that looked cool. not really giving any thought to how they would fit together. Because of that, i am often reworking my LR to try and get it right. this new one wont be the last as i eventually want to add a couple more chunks so that i can go Higher and will have more real estate where i can place more coral.

the plating monti that i added monts ago, had finally attached its self to the rock that i has wedged it under, so that gave me the ability to move it and get it more vertical (which i think shows it off better.. it will no doubt move and shift to get the best light, but it looks cool to me right now going vertial.)

also moved the big rock with "fingers more toward the center of the tank.... just have to add more zoa's to it now.

oh also took one branch of the frogspawn and made a bonsai looking tree.. (will most likely have to be moved as it hasnt really extended fully since i moved it.. too much flow? maybe? not sure.

New Aquascape, FTS

NewAquascapeNoFlash.jpg

WIth Flash

NewAquascapeWITHflash.jpg

new location for Plating Monti

PlatingMontiCap.jpg

Tank is looking awesome man:) Long time no see I havnt been around much either hows everything going?

Monk,

things are great.. work was hectic over the summer and my little boy is two now so the time to continue the thread has been smartly diminished.. but im back at it. the help that you can get here is great.

still having fun, and im looking forward to loading up the tank over the holidays with some new stuff..

Lalani is hooking me up with a few polyps of red and pink Zoa's, im buying some armor of god and another frag of zoa's from DT.. and i am on the hunt for some armegeddon and ring of Fire zoa's if they can be had..

my system is very stable and i have yet to see another outbreak of algae. hahaha

just need to get more stuff in it.

How is you coming?

New arrival's today..

Purchased a couple of frags from DT.. two Armor of the God's zoa's, a few polyps of orange center red skirts, and a nice surprise a frag plug of zoa's... not sure what color, will be fun to see what they are when they open.

got them all acclimated and into the tank.. just waiting for them to come on out and stretch..

the orange center red skirts act like they are about to open. the others not yet...

I have the perfect spot for them on "the big finger'ed rock" in the center of my scape..

Thanks DT.. well packed... appreciate the extra too.

oh yea.. p.s. two of our acts at the label got nominated for Grammy's last night.

Sugarland for

Best contry Vocal performance,

Best Country Song

and

best collaboration with vocals for "Life in a Northern Town"

Jamey Johnson

Best Male Vocal Performance

Best Country Album

Best Contry Song

Huge night for our artists and our team.

Pics of DT's zoa's coming soon.

Archived