Mercuryne

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh no you di'int. <_<

:P

How are the zoas looking, Merc?

lani Lani bo bani...

GOOD.. the Green Bay Packers opened up Yesterday.. and this morning when i went in to check. two of the pink centers were open. (Awesome under just the actinics) and about 1/4 of the red skirts were waving hello...

YAYAYAYAYAYAYYA..........really pleased everybody made it.

oh yeah. and the GSP was open the first hour. haaa. of course..

THANK YOU. cant wait to frag a few of the zoa's for the new office 8G.

if there's every anything in my tank that you take a liking to. let me know..

after a big WC last weekend and reducing the MH light cycle by a few hours a day the cyano looks to be retreating....thank goodness...I'm a few days away from celebrating 1 year with this tank and this is the first algae problem ive had since i recovered from the biggest noob mistake ever..filling the tank with dechlorinated tap water.......

a new 1 year anniversary FTS is just days away...

ha...

another good sized water change and sweeping of the bed to remove the Cyano that was starting to form back.. frustrating as the params i took before the test showed zero's.. uggh..

could the new MH bulb be causing this bloom? or lack of flow?

i added a koralia 1 to the tank today. the back right hand corner was the one big dead spot in the tank where stuff liked to collect.. so i put the new Powerhead on the back left glass shooting across the back sand bed.. it kicked up a big storm of crud so maybe now the new flow will prevent some of the cyano.

question: anybody running a Koralia 1 in a 28G? with good results? im a bit worried that maybe its TOO much flow.. (is that possible?)

my xenia seem pretty pissed about it.. so they may have to get moved unless they acclimate and come to get use to the new flow.

just wondering if i should have bought a koralia nano vs. the koralia 1 that i did buy?

the nano seems so low..

thoughts? opinions?

a year in to the life of this reef and the cyano bloom has me pretty befuddled...

check your source water for phosphates. Remember cyano is a bacteria. As a last resort try blue life red slimer remover. Im not big on chemical dosing, but this stuff does work when all else fails.

check your source water for phosphates. Remember cyano is a bacteria. As a last resort try blue life red slimer remover. Im not big on chemical dosing, but this stuff does work when all else fails.

DT.. thanks a bunch for the tip man..

ive been saying for three weeks "IM GOING TO ORDER THE mighty Mite RO/DI" unit..

that's gotta be it.. i get my water from a health food store in my neighborhood, but i just have this gut feeling thats the reason.. ive never tested it (shame on me) so i dont really know what the TDS is..

so...i'm doing it this week.. that way i'll KNOW how often the membranes get changed.

Im so hesitant to use the chemical stuff.. but probably would down the road..

im a big fan of work all possible culprits before deciding to get drastic with the chems.

Your info is values.. and i appreciate it.

The K1 really shouldn't be too much flow in that tank, in fact I think it should be just right.

Give the Xenia a couple of days to adjust.

A good way to really knock cyano back is to do Lights Out on your tank for 3 days. I know a few ppl that that has worked for.

Don't worry about your corals, they'll be fine.

Do a WC on the first and 3rd days.

If you're really nervous about it, just do it for 2 days.

HEY.. just realized that My tank is a year old TODAY....

WOW.. i survived the first year.

Cool....

a 1 year old photo update coming.. just have to upload the photos...

My Little Tank made it a year and still growing

happy birfday nanocube!

I have to buy a real camera.. washed out photo's blow...

FTS

DSC02218.jpg

Zoa Garden

DSC02211.jpg

Recent addition (thanks biblesue)

DSC02227.jpg

Blub Blub

DSC02235.jpg

My Very first coral

started with 6 heads.. doing well

DSC02214.jpg

Lani's Frag

DSC02208-1.jpg

Your right monk..

lets go back a bit .. shall we

Day one

DSC00474.jpg

A couple week in to the cycle after filling with TAP WATER :o

DSC00563.jpg

a couple of months in...going sloooooww

DSC00801.jpg

1 year Birthday

DSC02241-1.jpg

ok Lani. im going to have to bite the bullet.. tired of washed out photos

talk to me obi wan......

if im going to invest.. what should i be buying? camera? lenses? macro lens? flash?

come on .. lay it on me....i can take it.

Merc,

Take it from your old man!!! You should be proud of how your tank looks now as oppposed to algae farm month about a year ago. Love all the new Zoas. I want some of Lani's red skirts when you have extras. BE PROUD!!!!!!

Merc - What camera do you have now?

Lani.. its a sony cyber shot.. not the little thin one. but one that sort of looks like a real camera.. just so limited with what i can do with it.. cant really get in close. and the shots all wash out.

Help.. dont mind investing.. just need to know which direction to head for our hobby.. and for shots of my boy boo of course..

Merc,

Take it from your old man!!! You should be proud of how your tank looks now as oppposed to algae farm month about a year ago. Love all the new Zoas. I want some of Lani's red skirts when you have extras. BE PROUD!!!!!!

Thanks pop.. i am proud of it.. and you know what im most proud of? that i let the dang thing mature without overloading it.. it may look sparse even after a year, but it wont always and i KNOW in my heart and mind that's its healthy and stable becuase of the time spent letting it mature.

best advice i could ever give anyone. ...why rush and take a chance on crashing.. would that be worth it? hopefully we will be staring at these tanks five years from now so why try and do it all in the first few months...

its a marathon.. NOT A SPRINT..

your little 8 will give you lots of joy..

Happy birthday!

HEY.. just realized that My tank is a year old TODAY....

WOW.. i survived the first year.

Cool....

a 1 year old photo update coming.. just have to upload the photos...

Happy BDay Merc's 28!!

Looking very sweet there Merc!

Ok, real quick before I'm off to work. +1 on the 3 days lights out followed by a good WC and sand bed vac.

I have gone lights out for 3 days on all of my tanks for various reasons and have yet to see anything but positive results.

RODI is awesome to have. There is nothing like being able to make water when its needed, no running out, no jugs, buckets, bottles whatever and as you know you really don't know what you are getting without testing. Many horror stories have been posted right here on NR for store bought water and pre-mixed as well.

Sweet additions Sir, next time can you get a closer shot of Lanis red skirt? Yes, lift it high for all to see and enjoy.

;)

Rocket.. i know but when it started to get bad i added a Koralia and pointed it right at the dead spot in the tank and its getting plenty of flow, yet it still seems to come back.. so..

gotta be water quality.. even though my tests are showing zilch, its gotta be my source.. will remedy that tomorrow..seriously cant go another week battling like this..

the removal of my crappy skimmer could be causing it too..

completely healthy tank for a year until a few weeks ago..

i'll take two more steps to remedy this tomorrow.. ordering an RO/DI first thing in the am.. then if that doesnt solve it.. i'll go back to a skimmer.. the Tunze 9002 .. (I guess)

im betting the filters havent been changed in a while on the RO unit at the health food store.

can you guys tell me what the MAIN culprit is in the water that is the biggest factor for Cyano?

phates? trates? what?

Prolly Phosphate.

Don't forget to get a TDS meter, it will allow you to test the purity of the source water so you can be sure you are working with pure water.

Will also allow you to be able to tell when filter cartridges on your RO/DI unit need changing.

Archived