Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mercuryne's 28G Algae Farm

Mercuryne

Question..

whats the longest amount of time anyone has seen for new addition Zoa's to open up?

I added the new ones that i got in the mail last week on Thursday.. finally got them placed on Friday, but no luck yet..

just wondering...how finicky are they?

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen them take up to a week before, although it's not as common.

Try putting them in a different location with different flow and/or different light level and see if it helps.

You can also try doing an iodine dip--

1 cup tankwater

1 drop lugol's iodine

3-4 mins

I've seen them take up to a week before, although it's not as common.

Try putting them in a different location with different flow and/or different light level and see if it helps.

You can also try doing an iodine dip--

1 cup tankwater

1 drop lugol's iodine

3-4 mins

Thanks Weets..

got them from DT..

none of the three different frags have opened... pretty sure that the smallest frag didnt make it.

all white and getting smaller..

the other two look like they are still viable. just havent opened. and not sure what to expect.

I'd dip them right away and see what happens.

Try dipping them once a day for 3 days and see how they are after that.

Pics would help, if you could get any decent close-up shots.

On a different note, I have to laugh now when I see your thread title, cause now I have an algae farm in my 16g tank! :lol:

Damn, they all looked good when i shipped them. LMK how they make out.

hey man.. no worries.. shipping was A+.. all looked good when they were unpacked....

im sure they will come on out and say hello soon.. well the greens and the AOG's any way..

the little rubble rock with the two polyps.. they are done.. but man.. the rest should be good.

• 3 weeks later...

Signs of life

Some of the Zoa frags that i recently purchased and thought werent going to make might after all.

The Armor Of The Gods definately didnt, but the loose frags. i believe orange skirts.. are STARTING to extend a bit.. i thought they were goners.. somewhat faded as they must have gotten a damn good stress in shipping, but they are starting to open a bit.. the freebie frag "radiactive dragon eye's" are also extending.

so all in all not a total loss.. look forward to seeing what color the orange skirts turn out to be once they get healthy....

Merry Christmas everybody.

A Nice square box under the tree..

there's a nice square box under my christmas tree that im betting contains some black plastic and glass. ha.

i've been hinting about a smallish AIO setup for my office..

Santa must have gotten the memo....already planning in my head..

pretty sure its a 8g biocube...

i'm thinking zoa gardens and rics....

thoughts?

Mercuryne- just dropping in to give props for your longevity here... I wish everyone who got into the hobby when I was making a living in an aquarium store had your restraint, openness and learning ability!

Just coming back to the hobby myself, it's almost like starting over again. In a good way. This thread was a great read, and inspirational.

Your son is a heartbreaker already.

I'm secretly happy about Sugarland's awards- always liked them, but please don't tell any of my friends I ever listen to CW! LOL

Beautiful tank now.

FishOnTheBrainCoral

My zoas didint open for about 3 weeks but I then found out that they had hydroids.... once i got rid of that they opened up about three days later. I cut the hydroids out and did a FW iodine dip.

Mercuryne- just dropping in to give props for your longevity here... I wish everyone who got into the hobby when I was making a living in an aquarium store had your restraint, openness and learning ability!

Just coming back to the hobby myself, it's almost like starting over again. In a good way. This thread was a great read, and inspirational.

Your son is a heartbreaker already.

I'm secretly happy about Sugarland's awards- always liked them, but please don't tell any of my friends I ever listen to CW! LOL

Beautiful tank now.

Maybe one of the nicest things ive heard in a while. thank you dirtymonkey..

took me a looong time to get the tank rights after all my mistakes etc...

some folks here have been very nice and HELPFUL.. some sucked and just wanted to judge and ridicule about the stupid beginner mistakes....luckily the positive won out.

hope you'll jump back in with both feet.

and re:sugarland...its ok to like CW...it aint what it use to be...turn a friend onto s'land....they might feel JUST LIKE YOU.

thanks for stopping by, do so again ...please.

Merc.

Nice present, sorry teh AOG's didnt make it. Glad the other ones did.

Thanks DT...

the dragon eyes are looking great. others are alive....

maybe we'll give it another go on the AOG when it warms up.

Def LMK, I'll replace the frag for free.

I knew there was a nice guy lurking behind that grumpy facade somewhere.

Don't worry, I won't tell anyone else tho.

O wait, did I say that out loud? :o:P

UPDATE:

Ive been quiet on the postings that last couple of weeks.

Tank is well overall....made it through two trips over the holiday without any issues..

i had feared that i'd have to buy a chiller once we hit july and august but my little double azoo fan works just fine and keeps the temps at a steady 78.

Big Issue today is that i am starting to think that my emerald crab is nipping at softies when i'm not looking.

i lost half of a colony of Katara blue's a while back and this morning i noticed that a big red shroom was just MISSING. vanished.. GONE..

the emerald is all i can figure.. any thoughts on that you guys?

p.s. got an 8 Gallon Biocube for the office..

i've already water tested and brought it to the office.. ordered one of Stevie T's media racks for the middle chamber to run floss etc...

also replacing the stock pump with a minijet 606. but that's for a whole different thread which i'll start soon.

cool note.. my dad.. NR member name: Gussie.. bought the same 8Gallon and we'll be doing these builds at the same time. should be fun.

Merc,

Thanks for mentioning ol' Dad. I can't wait for my tank to arrive. Was told it will be here Friday. I've already received a post from Weetie and Lal ani on the new thread. I'm pretty sure they will be great reffin' friends once I get started. If I can just get something to post about. Weetie sent some good advice over the holidays in a private message but she and Lal Ani were saying something about me wearing a Christmas Fro? Lookin' forward to being in Nashville on Sunday and a trip to the LFS with you and Booie.

Merc,

Thanks for mentioning ol' Dad. I can't wait for my tank to arrive. Was told it will be here Friday. I've already received a post from Weetie and Lal ani on the new thread. I'm pretty sure they will be great reffin' friends once I get started. If I can just get something to post about. Weetie sent some good advice over the holidays in a private message but she and Lal Ani were saying something about me wearing a Christmas Fro? Lookin' forward to being in Nashville on Sunday and a trip to the LFS with you and Booie.

Dad....

i know the suspense is killing you.. it'll be there soon. I got my 8gallon to the office and unpacked. but i have to find the right stand for this one. I dont want to buy the one you did (14 Gallon biocube stand with only one door) since this tank will be at the office i feel that im going to have to put an Auto Top Off unit on this for extended absences over the holidays.

at christmas we are gone for three weeks, and i'll need to be able to top off without having to be here, so i need to find a stand for the bio 8.. that has shelves with room enough for the resevior.

hang in there. and I'll see you on Sunday.

CHANGING THE METAL HALIDE BULB

I know ive been threatening this for weeks. but i am going online TODAY to order a replacement 14k metal Halide bulb for my 28G. Its been a year.. I know i know.. I am starting to see some cyano bloom on the sand that i dont like. and i'm wondering if the light could be the culprit?

Any thoughts?

anyway.. I'm still awfully torn about which bulb to order.

Radium?

Ushio?

or

Phoenix?

i know its a matter of taste but im leaning toward the pheonix....

took a cool photo of my emerald crab laying between two layers of plating monti last night.

i'll upload and post.. after lunch.

I failed to mention earlier that about two or three weeks ago i finally turned off that crappy protein skimmer that came with my nano cube.. i ran it for a year.. with decent results but the damned thing was so loud and it had sort of started to fail. so i planned to buy a tunze on Stevie T's recommendation.. but after a week with it off, all the coral seemed really pleased..healthy..

I know that this may cause some bloom and that may be whats causing the cyano.. but for now, i'm going to let it ride without one.. I know there are pro's and cons. i need to step up the WC's to be sure i'm keeping it clean, but the inhabitants seem really happy without the skimmer.

I say either the Phoenix 14K or the Radium 20K. Depends on how YOU want the tank to look. Both are good bulbs. Hellolights seems to have the best price on both.

I say either the Phoenix 14K or the Radium 20K. Depends on how YOU want the tank to look. Both are good bulbs. Hellolights seems to have the best price on both.

+1.

DT.thanks for the response..i do have another question for you becaues im not well versed with MH or lighting in general to this point...

how much difference is there in the 14K and the 20K? how much difference in color?

i actually ordered the Phoenix 14k because that seemed to be the one MOST mentioned here at NR.

the bulb that's been in the tank (stock) was the JBJ bulb (not sure if that's the viper or not)

just curious how different the phoenix will look, and furthermore how different the 20k would look.

thanks for the time.

Merc

Hey buddy Im having the same problem and my tank is about the same age and I use the good water and all that so maybe I need bulbs as well. Check your PM's as well.

Hey buddy Im having the same problem and my tank is about the same age and I use the good water and all that so maybe I need bulbs as well. Check your PM's as well.

Monk.. man.. you are too kind.. seriously.. love the new Sig...i was just thinking i needed to try and figure out how to do one.. but im clueless on that.. I'm pretty savvy too but you'd have to walk me through. ha..

i ordered the phoenix 14k bulb last night.. hello lights is really competitive on price and they offer free shipping i believe.. ( i ordered elsewhere then saw the free shipping thing at hello lights.. ha)

so.. are you seeing red slime algae too? i was thinking maybe it was because i shut off the skimmer but maybe the buld is starting to peter out.. i really should have changed the halide about 4 months ago IMO.

Thanks again for the new sig man. awsome.. can i start marketing that as a business for you?

Archived