Coral Vue Hydros

Mercuryne's 28G Algae Farm

Mercuryne

The New Kids on the block!

I posted earlier about the three new frags of Zoa's that i added from Weeties prop tank.

However there have been a few other new additions.

the large Hand looking chunk of LR that i bought a long time ago and never used. I finally got it into the tank. although everything that was there is dead and the rock is WHITE.. i figure it will eventually purple up. No matter as I intend for it to hold nothing but Zoa's. Zoa finger Mountain is the working title. for now.

You can see it in this new FTS with the Actinics on along with the MH.

my aquascaping sucks btw.

11weekFTS.jpg

Mushroom Rock is also new.

One large Red and a number of really interesting greens. (this will eventually be moved to a new location as its sitting on the spot that will be a large Zoa Garden.

MushroomRockandWeetysfrags.jpg

Another new addition is a new Diamond Goby. Ive not done a lot of research on them. i just know that my substrate was pretty dingy looking and i knew he would roll up his sleeves and filter it all through his gills.. (which he did in the first 12 hours. he's a fast little guy and my son loves to watch him.

DiamondGoby.jpg

and Finally

The new Mushroom rock i bought has a few hitch hikers growing out of the side of it.

I know this will be a simple id for most vets, and i will post in the ID forum as well but have a look and tell me if you recognize. id hate to venture a guess as i know i'd get it wrong.

HitchHiker1.jpg

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think your aquascape looks bad at all!!!

I like the idea of putting zoas on that finger rock.

I think the hitchhiker on your mushroom frag is some kind of star polyps, maybe pink star polyps, very hardy and a fast grower.

On the bubble algae, just take the piece it's attached to out of the water and try to slowly and gently loosen and wiggle it off with your finger.

Congrats on all the new additions, it's looking good!

Really nice tank, Mercuryne! Those new frags are going to fill out in no time. :)

Thanks for checking it out. its my first, and not where i want it to be, but isnt getting there the fun of it.

I will say this. i've come a LOOOOOONG way since i filled my tank with TAP water originally, got flamed....Stressed over it....got flamed some more.....had a little Tap water Freak out..Battled algae because of tap water...Got flamed some more.. picked at algae...eventually won the battle over the algae.

yeah.. i'll be ok...

Thanks again

Heh, I read the first few pages and saw the whole tap water ordeal. Glad you didn't give up, as some people have done when things get tough. Oh, and the moment you feel you've 'gotten there'.... you'll want to start up another tank.... guaranteed! :lol:

SO...

because i feel that my aquascaping skills are highly lacking.. i cant stop messing with it.

What you see below is the latest version but it will change at least one more time. i need one more large flat bit of LR for the right side to give me some more verticle height. I'll get that this week. I really like the finger rock on the left and plan on covering it with a zoa garden, but its shape makes it sort of hard to get the scape to look how i'd like it..

Where is Junkitu when you need him?

DSC00801.jpg

one of the reg legged Hermits is playing "King Of The Hill"

DSC00797.jpg

A Cowerie cruising with his Mantle out for full body armor.

DSC00802.jpg

chuckfullservice

I'm to late !

Love your thread and your enthusiasim! But I want to warn you, your tank will more the likely cycle more then 1 time ! Most cycle for about 2-6 months depending apon the amount of die off you have inside your live rock! Yes there is stuff rotting inside the L.R. producing amonia!!!

Also stop buying L.R. most say to put a pound for every gallon , but if you haven't realized already . When you buy corals they ussually come attached to live rock , and over time you will find yourself removing pieces to make room . Also all those pods are going to die becuase they have no food source , theres more amonia.

I didn't fully read you post its kind of long now. But did you ever see diatoms ? Brown stuff on your sand ?

That will die too more potential amonia. When some thing dies it creates amonia .

I would recomend you not buying any thing for a while ! It is truely the hardest part of this hobby ! Waiting out the cycle periods ! Your brand new tank and nothing in it ! Believe me I know !

But when your stuff starts dying for no reason , the cause will be amonia spikes . Sometimes you can test for it and it won't show up. Later the say day amonia present . Next morning no amonia . It spikes for about 2-6 months again.Also you PH is probably going to swing alittle in this time frame as well. Sorry if I'm bumming you out I'm just try to spare you heart ache and money .

On a positive note:

You have selected a nice tank , good job and the metal halid lighting it will give you so much more range in your selection of possible corals and anemones . Any extra live rock I would recomend putting in the middle chamber rather then the stupid bio balls or what ever came in their . Another great trick I can offer you is go to walmart or another store like that and buy %100 acrylic pillow stuffing , known here as filter floss. It cost about $1.00 for a bag that will last years , you use this as another type of filter . Grab a wad rinse and put it in you middle chamber. Change it when ever you change or clean your other filters. This really will help keep you water clean anything small enough to get past your regular filters will be caught up in it!

Try to stay away from any chemicals you see at the store . They ussually try to sell you things you don't need.

Ph buffer/stablizer , iodine , calcium, declorinator. If you change you water like you should you will never need this stuff! Its all in your salt mix .

Good luck and don't sweat it ,everyone here has made mistakes along the way you a very wise person to do so much research . Unfortunately there is no guide book or manual in this hobby . Sure theres lots of research done by scientist and some books out there but to be honest there is soo much to learn any real book on this hobby would look twice as big as the bible! That alone would scare half of us away!

happy reefing ,

Chuck

I'm to late !

Love your thread and your enthusiasim! But I want to warn you, your tank will more the likely cycle more then 1 time ! Most cycle for about 2-6 months depending apon the amount of die off you have inside your live rock! Yes there is stuff rotting inside the L.R. producing amonia!!!

Also stop buying L.R. most say to put a pound for every gallon , but if you haven't realized already . When you buy corals they ussually come attached to live rock , and over time you will find yourself removing pieces to make room . Also all those pods are going to die becuase they have no food source , theres more amonia.

I didn't fully read you post its kind of long now. But did you ever see diatoms ? Brown stuff on your sand ?

That will die too more potential amonia. When some thing dies it creates amonia .

I would recomend you not buying any thing for a while ! It is truely the hardest part of this hobby ! Waiting out the cycle periods ! Your brand new tank and nothing in it ! Believe me I know !

But when your stuff starts dying for no reason , the cause will be amonia spikes . Sometimes you can test for it and it won't show up. Later the say day amonia present . Next morning no amonia . It spikes for about 2-6 months again.Also you PH is probably going to swing alittle in this time frame as well. Sorry if I'm bumming you out I'm just try to spare you heart ache and money .

On a positive note:

You have selected a nice tank , good job and the metal halid lighting it will give you so much more range in your selection of possible corals and anemones . Any extra live rock I would recomend putting in the middle chamber rather then the stupid bio balls or what ever came in their . Another great trick I can offer you is go to walmart or another store like that and buy %100 acrylic pillow stuffing , known here as filter floss. It cost about $1.00 for a bag that will last years , you use this as another type of filter . Grab a wad rinse and put it in you middle chamber. Change it when ever you change or clean your other filters. This really will help keep you water clean anything small enough to get past your regular filters will be caught up in it!

Try to stay away from any chemicals you see at the store . They ussually try to sell you things you don't need.

Ph buffer/stablizer , iodine , calcium, declorinator. If you change you water like you should you will never need this stuff! Its all in your salt mix .

Good luck and don't sweat it ,everyone here has made mistakes along the way you a very wise person to do so much research . Unfortunately there is no guide book or manual in this hobby . Sure theres lots of research done by scientist and some books out there but to be honest there is soo much to learn any real book on this hobby would look twice as big as the bible! That alone would scare half of us away!

happy reefing ,

Chuck

Chuckfullservice,

thanks for stopping by the thread.. i always say that im never too smart to learn from others.

I will say this.. Your post DID indeed bum me out a bit.

Ive been through so much with the cycling of this tank. a massive algae explosion, a very smart Mantis hitchhiker, etc, yet im still here, with a really healthy tank. I take great pride in very stable water params now.

and I still have pods coming out my ears. I'm sure that many have died.. but many more have picked up where the dead ones left off.

I believe my tank to be fully cycled. I tested my params everyday for 10 weeks. And yes.. i went through a complete algae and diatom bloom, so that ammonia spike has long since come and gone.

I've added stuff more slowly than just about any thread ive seen on this site. really taking my time.

I removed the bio balls right off the bat and the black sponge very soon after. I've been using filter floss almost the entire time. I wish you'd read through the entire thread before posting such things as "stop buying live rock." and "Those pods are going to die". But as i said.. i appreciate you taking the time to post here. all info is good info in my book especially when given by folks who've been through it all.

I would love to read your thread if you have one?

thanks again.

CarterNichols

i love how people come in 3 months late on a thread and write a book on what the OP needs to do to make the tank work, even though you can clearly see that the tank is looking awesome and mercury has a grip on things..

mercury the tank really came through a tough road and lots of people would have called it quits and just gave up or started over, congrats on that.

keep up the good work!

i love how people come in 3 months late on a thread and write a book on what the OP needs to do to make the tank work, even though you can clearly see that the tank is looking awesome and mercury has a grip on things..

mercury the tank really came through a tough road and lots of people would have called it quits and just gave up or started over, congrats on that.

keep up the good work!

CARTER, LALANI and WEETY

Thank you guys for the backup.. i'm not pissed per se about the comments, i just know that had he read the whole thing, he would have seen what i've learned along the way and would know exactly how the tank is doing.. that's all.

I've learned much "grasshopper" and continue..

preciate' you guys.

chuckfullservice

Sorry if I wrote a book last post and I didn't mean to say you were doing a bad job at all.I think your tank looks great ,especially since its a first for you. Well done !!!

I was just trying to give some hard learned advice.

Good luck and best wishes,

Chuck

Sorry if I wrote a book last post and I didn't mean to say you were doing a bad job at all.I think your tank looks great ,especially since its a first for you. Well done !!!

I was just trying to give some hard learned advice.

Good luck and best wishes,

Chuck

Chuck,

No worries man.. seriously. like i said. for folks that have already been through it. its nice to know they are willing to share information.. ive worked really hard to overcome alot.

Appriciate you taking the time.

Very interesting developements.

I love the "King of the Hill" reference and what a really cool cowery!

About the cycling Chuck mentioned, It's all relative because our taniks always cycle! Every time you add life to the tank it produces more waste than the bacteria present in the tank can handle, so a tiny cycle happens with an almost imperceptible swing in ammonia, nitrites and ....ates. I doubt it's enough to cause any serious damage! Also, every time you move and shift filter innards and rocks, the bacteria get disturbed and probably cycle a little bit. Not a big deal at all.

Chuck might have had a point about adding live rock and having to get rid of some. It happened to me when I started getting corals. Though, I would defer to your judgement as to what is enough. It's your tank after all.

About the hitcher Id. Those polyps look a lot like xenia/anthelia polyps, but that's more of an observation than a hard ID.

Also, what do you mean when you say "our bands", your favorite bands or are you in the "business"?

Many a cheers for your tank!

Tanks looking really sweet Merc you must be having a balst....has the wife seen the CC bill yet?

HA....umm NO....

Cash only here buddy.

Thanks Monk.. i'm really enjoying it. I've almost got the rock work like i want it.

And i'm definately ready to add a few new things..

Have a great weeknd.

Very interesting developements.

I love the "King of the Hill" reference and what a really cool cowery!

About the cycling Chuck mentioned, It's all relative because our taniks always cycle! Every time you add life to the tank it produces more waste than the bacteria present in the tank can handle, so a tiny cycle happens with an almost imperceptible swing in ammonia, nitrites and ....ates. I doubt it's enough to cause any serious damage! Also, every time you move and shift filter innards and rocks, the bacteria get disturbed and probably cycle a little bit. Not a big deal at all.

Chuck might have had a point about adding live rock and having to get rid of some. It happened to me when I started getting corals. Though, I would defer to your judgement as to what is enough. It's your tank after all.

About the hitcher Id. Those polyps look a lot like xenia/anthelia polyps, but that's more of an observation than a hard ID.

Also, what do you mean when you say "our bands", your favorite bands or are you in the "business"?

Many a cheers for your tank!

Klarion,

Thanks for stopping by.. Appreciate your insight.

as for the "business" Yes.. I am in the business.

I work for a record label in Nashville.. I am in the radio promotion department. Been here for about ten years and love what i do.

Klarion,

Thanks for stopping by.. Appreciate your insight.

as for the "business" Yes.. I am in the business.

I work for a record label in Nashville.. I am in the radio promotion department. Been here for about ten years and love what i do.

Excellent! Now we have at least three things in common: fish, music, and we both love what we do!

• 2 weeks later...

Been a few days since Ive been able to update the thread. Things still going well with my Nanocube albeit much more slowly on the livestock stocking that i had planned. Just havent seen anything in my Local LFS that really turns me on. The last new things added were the three different Zoa Frags that i got from the Fantastic WEETABIX. those and cool Rock of Shrooms.

I guess i will have to search some of the sponsor sights here for my next great, perfect fitting coral.

my goal is to find some amazingly colored zoa's so i can finish populated "Zoa Finger Rock" any suggestion on which Zoa's to go with? and where to get them?

would also maybe like to add an Acan Lord and maybe a duncan.

HEAT ISSUES (resolved for now)

With the temps going up here in TN the last few weeks, my Nanocube was really warming up. all the way up to 84 and 85. As i'm not quite ready to buy a chiller i went with a quick simple fix. I bought the Azoo double "clip on" fan and i have it blowing right into the rear chambers. So far today with the MH light on AND the actinics on.. the temp has not risen above 78. WOW....lets hope she holds and the Chiller may never have to happen.

I did a good sized water change today and i have to make a point.

I ALWAYS run my H.O.T. magnum cannister filter with the water polishing micron filter after every change, and i use a turkey baster to blow all the detrius up into the water column as to get most of it out of the tank. It works REALLY WELL...and it just made me think today how much stuff i wouldnt be getting out of the tank if If i just used the siphon to try and vacuum the tank. I'm in no way negatively judging that method of cleanup, but if you dont have this cannister filter.. seriously.. spend the 50 bucks and get one..

once ive basted and run this thing for thirty minutes the water is so clear that you cant hardly believe it.

• 3 weeks later...

Updates Damnit!!!

Edit: I didnt notice the goby dude.....I love it he must be alot of fun to watch?

DiamondGoby.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

WOW.. i should be ashamed. Its been more than a month since i last posted.

Been super busy with work.

I had not added anything new to the 28g Algae Farm in quite some time till this past weekend.

Went to the LFS to pick up some more Filter Floss and i grabbed a couple of new additions.

I bought a small branch of Cats Paws SPS. Its mainly white in color. with a little bit of purlple on the tips of each branch. I have wedged it between two LR's near the top of the tank as i know it needs the light.

also repositioned the Korlia nano to blow across the Cats Paws.

Also added a small frag of Orange "Plating Montipora" the LFS had a bit break off from their show tank and i got a good deal on it.

Photo's coming. I do believe the loong stretch with no additions and me keeping my hands out of the tank have helped it mature.

Photo's coming Tomorrow.

P.S. Weety.. your Zoa's are thriving.

Peace to all.

• 2 weeks later...
WOW.. i should be ashamed. Its been more than a month since i last posted.

Been super busy with work.

I had not added anything new to the 28g Algae Farm in quite some time till this past weekend.

Went to the LFS to pick up some more Filter Floss and i grabbed a couple of new additions.

I bought a small branch of Cats Paws SPS. Its mainly white in color. with a little bit of purlple on the tips of each branch. I have wedged it between two LR's near the top of the tank as i know it needs the light.

also repositioned the Korlia nano to blow across the Cats Paws.

Also added a small frag of Orange "Plating Montipora" the LFS had a bit break off from their show tank and i got a good deal on it.

Photo's coming. I do believe the loong stretch with no additions and me keeping my hands out of the tank have helped it mature.

Photo's coming Tomorrow.

P.S. Weety.. your Zoa's are thriving.

Peace to all.

Same here. Don't feel too bad about it. It's been a crazy musical season.. I've been keeping up with the maintanance and that's about it. Also got some filger floss and a new Candy cane (small) to see how LPS will do.

Looking forward to some new pics.

B

I have to admit I had been wondering where you were, but don't feel bad, I've been a bit MIA myself lately.

Glad to hear the zoas are doing well and looking forward to pics.

My passion for the Hobby has not waned.. just super busy this summer with work, and my son is 19 months going on 6. outside all the time with him.. Keeping up with 6 gallon changes every week, and scraping the glass at least twice a week. I did the new Cats paws SPS and the Plating Monti a couple of weeks ago, and all are still alive.

I have a good amount of purple on the back wall.. ive decided to let it grow.. i think once it fills in i will like the way it brightenst the tank.

WEETY.. great news! Your angel food Zoa that you sent me. That one Polyp is now 3. it was just the one for a long time but once i added the Cats paws SPS, i moved my Koralia 1 in order to give the SPS some good flow.. and it took some flow off the angelfood Zoa.. and since then, its sprouted two new heads.. Im so proud.

I keep threatening photo's.. Gotta get on that.

heat and evap are much more of an issue since its warmed up in TN. 95 degree days. and even though we keep the ac on in the house at all times.. i still get quite a bit of evap. Im guessing that's because i am running a fan over top of the rear chambers to keep it cool

Going to HAVE to check out a chiller. dang it.

Hope all are well.

now let me see.. where is that camera.............

Merucyrne

p.s.s. still waiting to see if Lalani will sell me some of her red zoa's.

Archived