Coral Vue Hydros

Mercuryne's 28G Algae Farm

Mercuryne

wow, that's some mean algae. I would definitley help out the crew by removing the biggest strands and patches. That should be easy to do.

Good luck.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry about that merc - i must have misread some posts - thought u didn't have a CUC yet. must be my brain trying to tell me not to read at 4am :unsure: . how is the cheato helpin out? i've been running it since i got my rock and i haven't run into this yet. - fingers crossed

Hey Merc, we've all been where you are just hang in there, it does get better.

I'm actually battling a bit of brown string algae myself just now in my 16g tank.

As for the chaeto, just post a WTB ad (Want To Buy) in the Classified Forum.

Thanks for the support you guys.

Since my big water change on sat afternoon. The tank has cleared nicely. Pictures to come.

The algae doesn't seem to have gotten any worse. I will pull out what I can by hand this evening.

Or..I could trim it with scissors. Haaa kidding...sort of.

Big WC must be helping.

Going online to find an emerald crab today.

Merc,

What's Chaeto?

Gussie.. Its Algae.. BUT Good ALGAE..

Good to keep in the Refugium or even in a suction cup soap dish if need be. Or hide a ball of it behind the aquascape if you have to. Its good stuff that allows the Pods and other bacteria a place to hang out, also fights the bad algae, by sucking up the nutrients.

Or so i hear anyway.. i will purchase some today here on the site and try and get it in the tank this week.

The battle with the algae is coming my way.

Although there is still some tall green Algae in the tank, which i'll remove by hand (havent had a chance this week, as works been BUSY.) It is no longer spreading. The CUC is working hard, and really starting to clean a few of the LR's.

Its almost as if they all decide to work on one specific rock at a time. HA.

anyway, I feel good that the conditions in the tank are working in my favor, and the spread has stopped.

The the WC has cleared up well, and this morning when the lights came on the Sand sifting star took a little stroll up the glass. And the Pepp Shrimp was all over the place.

My son really enjoys watching everything, and I think this weekend we will add maybe 1 fish.. Possibly a clown if we can find one we really like, maybe a chromis or two.

I'm really ready to add my first coral too but will wait till all algae is cleared. This study in patience has taught me a lot. WAITING IS GOOD! WAITING IS GOOD.

HA

How are things coming along? Any new photos. Waiting to see the new fish as well.

Klarion,

Things are good. Tank has really cleared.. I harvested a bunch of the algae last night and still have more to do, but it doesnt seem to be spreading at all. I'll post a FTS this weekend once ive harvested most of it and added what i hope to be our first fish and maybe a coral.

Here is a good shot of the Pepp, he was busy this morning.

If you look hard, just next to his left legs.. you will see what i believe to be the beginning of some Coraline Algae.

Peppoutforastroll.jpg

Merc,

I like the color of the Coraline! So the amonia spike didn't hurt any of the CUC?

Gussie,

No.. the spike doesnt seem to have harmed anyone. at least they arent showing it yet.

(for those saying "WAIT...what ammonia spike?) I just realized that i didnt post about it so i'll cover it here.

Last weekend i added a new chunk of LR and rearranged my aquascape a bit.. while doing this i completley stirred up the substrate with the vacuum to try and remove algae and detrius. After doing these two things, the Ammonia went on the rise again. I was really worried for my CUC as it was a pretty good increase.

Luckily everyone is still alive as far as i can tell.

Ive read lots about NOT stirring up the sand bed.. and now i understand why.. I think i'll follow H20's lead and just Turkey baste the detrius up into the water column and use a magnum filter to remove it from now on . rather than try to stir it up then vacuum...(which doesnt really work.. IMO)

Oh, and by the way.. i went in with the hand last night and harvested MOST of the tall algae that was growing in my farm. Mostly clean now...

New Tank Shots coming this weekened after a 5G WC and hopefully the addition of our first fish and maybe a coral.

Merc, I got a good laugh out of your sig, that's awesome! :lol:

I'm glad to see that things are coming along for you and I look forward to watching this tank take shape.

Your enthusiasm is exciting to see!

Merc, I got a good laugh out of your sig, that's awesome! :lol:

I'm glad to see that things are coming along for you and I look forward to watching this tank take shape.

Your enthusiasm is exciting to see!

Weetabix.....THANK YOU.. I have to give ALL credit for the signature to MONKFISH who not only designed the sig for me, but read through my thread, and came up with the idea to call it Mercuryne's Algae Farm.

Ha..I almost choked on a diet coke when i saw it. He's a nice guy, who totally hooked me up. You know i've been battling this algae throughout my ENTIRE cycle so it was very proper to call my tank the Algae Farm.

I've been following your thread lately and was sorry to see that you've been having trouble.

I have a 16 month old son at home who LOVES to look at the tank. Also loves to try and open the small feeding door of my nanocube and stick his fingers inside.. Gotta figure out how to keep the little fingers out of there.

Good Luck, hope the water changes solve your problem...

I think you are in TN... Correct? I'm in Nashville.

Thanks for taking a look.

Yeah, I'm in Oak Ridge, 20 mins. outside of Knoxville.

I was just at a frag swap in Nashville on Jan. 19, too bad I missed you.

Yeah, Monk's a good guy.

Hey Merc, good to see things are starting to pull back in your favour. CUC for the win, lol... I'll definitely be watching the progress of this tank, and helping out where ever i can, can't wait to see the tank after you start to add coral and fish... I'm not getting my Red Sea Max till June (i've been researching reef tanks, fish, corals, lighting, everything, lol, since August last year, and i was spose to get my RSM for Christmas, but unfortunately my car broke and there went all my money, lol, but as you've learnt early, patience only means better results, so my results better be incredible, lol).

All the best,

OwNeD

Hey Merc, good to see things are starting to pull back in your favour. CUC for the win, lol... I'll definitely be watching the progress of this tank, and helping out where ever i can, can't wait to see the tank after you start to add coral and fish... I'm not getting my Red Sea Max till June (i've been researching reef tanks, fish, corals, lighting, everything, lol, since August last year, and i was spose to get my RSM for Christmas, but unfortunately my car broke and there went all my money, lol, but as you've learnt early, patience only means better results, so my results better be incredible, lol).

All the best,

OwNeD

Owned,

Thanks for tagging along...if I had not bought the 28G Nano HQI I would have gone with the RSMax..can't imagine that the max won't be great for you..I secretly wish I have the all in one power strip.

Hang in there and be patient. Waiting on adding livestock I think has really helped my tank..the delay I've had cleaning up the algae bloom has actually benefitted me..

The coraline algae is poppoing up all over.

Good luck to you..I'll stay tuned.

Tank Update

Came home last night and started preparing a five gallon bucket of RO/DI and oceanic crystals for a good 5g WC on Sat. Morning. when i looked into the tank fri night my Pepp shrimp was looking bad.. barely moving and his long head tentacles were laid back (like a dog when he's about to bite you) i was worried he was about to die.

This morning when i went to start the WC, i couldnt find the Shrimp. ANYWHERE!!! I thought maybe the "Once seen" creature that i believe to be a Mantis had either drug him down a hole in the LR, or something else bad had happened.. Then I saw the head of SOMETHING sticking up out of a hole, then it darted back in. I immediatly thought "well that's it. the mantis got my Pepp."

Then as i started cleaning the the tank, i found the Pepp Shrimps Molted shell. under the overhang of a LR.

So, Im wondering, if when they molt, are they super vulnerable and go and hide? or did the Mantis maybe actually get my pepp. since i cant find the pepp in the tank anywhere.. it remains a mystery at this point. i hope the pepp just molted then went to hide in a hole till his shell feels tough enough. Ha...

Any Thoughts on this from the Veterans on here? is the Pepp hiding out for awhile post molt? or did he molt then get drug into crevis?

Most of the algae is now GONE..i harvested most of what was left my hand this morning while doing the 5g WC.

I'm realizing that the detrius can really be an issue, and i'm convinced i'm going the route of the Magnum hang on the side filter. I will get one and run it while i do changes so that i can follow the lead of others and just blow the detrius off the bottom and off the rocks and then have it sucked up into the filter and totally removed from the tank, rather than allowing it to settle back on the bottom.

tanks starting to look good. Hoping to go to the LFS today and get a clown and maybe ONE (first) coral (thinking i might try and sell them some green algae that i pulled out for store credit.) Kidding...

thougths on what it should be to start? I have always thought i'd like to start with a nice head of candy canes..

would welcome your input.

stand by for photos (if i can get to the store)

Your signature picture is cracking me up... :lol: Hopefully it is not that bad, and getting better.

Alot of times the Peppermint Shrimp are good hiders. They are mostly nocturnal, and after molting, most inverts will hide out, as they are waiting for thier new shell to harden up for better protection. You will probably see your soon.

I swapped out my old Peppermint Shrimp for a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. They are prettier and they love to play out in the open all day. They love to be seen, and add more value to the tank for aesthetics in my opinion.

Keep up the good work!

Good Monday Morning all.

If you read above you saw that my Pepp Shrimp Molted on Friday night.

I found his molted shell Sat. Morning, but he's nowhere to be seen. I was hoping that if he molted and went in a hole that i would have seen him by now, but no luck yet.. AND ive discovered about three new Aptasia's.

Saturday AM, after my 5G WC, i made a trip to the LFS and picked picked up the first two additions for livestock (other than the already busy CUC)

I bought a handsome true Perc.. he is an individual though. the stripe that you normally see around the middle of their abdomen does not connect.. there is a little stip at the top and a little at the bottom, but it doesnt go all the way around.. Different and cool looking.

Also picked up a frag of Neon Green Candy Cane with about 6 heads.

Camera Battery was dead so i couldnt take photo's but so far so good.

Photo's Tomorrow.

You know what I do for RO water?? I buy the 3gallons in one box from walmart for 2bucks for3 gallons.can't go wrong.

The guys over at Reef Central recommend you use this to get your algae under control.

263185_lg.jpg

BTW thanks for the tunes dude Ill be jammin out all day now:)

The guys over at Reef Central recommend you use this to get your algae under control.

263185_lg.jpg

BTW thanks for the tunes dude Ill be jammin out all day now:)

HAAAAAA

Monkfish.. I was seriously considering dropping the "business end" of my weed wacker into my tank to do the job but i was afraid that the CUC might get caught in the middle. Laughin..

Gladly.. the Algae is GONE...due to some grazing by the CUC, my harvesting a good portion and weekly water changes, its gone. I mean GONE...none in the tank now. But thanks for the idea. ha

You are welcome.. Now you have some music to listen to while you spend countless hours staring at your new tank.

DAMN! It is INDEED a MANTIS!!!!

Having been at a convention all week I came home last night excited to see what was happening with my tank.

a little bit if CYANO all over which was pretty easily cleaned up. Clown fish and CUC still appeared healthly.

Found a few weird looking worms, extended off the back of one of the LR's..they are brown and white banded with little hairs that are horizontal to the extended worm. I will get photos and post soon...

Thats not the big news though.

This morning when i went in to clean up the cyano and feed the Clown. my initial identification of something i've seen just twice in well over a month was confirmed. ITS A MANTIS SHRIMP.

when i turned off the pumps to feed the clown (i'm tracking how long he eats and wanted to keep the food from flying all over) The Mantis Shrimp came out and showed himself. rolling in and out of holes in the rocks and then boldly running out and trying to attack a nasarius snail. WOW.. scary looking little thing.

SO i guess he did indeed Kill my peppermint shrimp and now showing himself in the wide open, he appears to be extrememly confident. I had hoped i was wrong but alas.. im NOT..

I got photo's but dont have my docking cord to upload.. its at the office.

Question is now.. HOW DO I GET HIM OUT?

Archived