Top Shelf Aquatics

Mercuryne's 28G Algae Farm

Mercuryne

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like baby snails, i have seen a couple in my tank also... =)

Ronin...I actually blew up one of the photos today once i got them loaded in my PC, zoomed in really close, and i can see a little split tail on them.. some sort of Copepod i believe.

Those would be pods. Very benificial and a great food source for corals and fish alike.

Grats on joining the obsession!

Seph, thanks for the reply.. one more quick question for you.

The Tank has been up and running for over three weeks now..just had a few spagetti worms and feather dusters hitchhike and show themselves early.. but i had not see pods until THIS MORNING.

Then when the lights came on .. BOOM there were Tons of them all over the glass.

so in my ignorance im wondering.. Did someone have babies? or did they just now decide to show themselves?

Just now decided to show themselves.

The critter running away from the Pep almost sounds like a mantis shrimp, although I wouldn't think they'd usually be intimidated by a Pep.

Just now decided to show themselves.

The critter running away from the Pep almost sounds like a mantis shrimp, although I wouldn't think they'd usually be intimidated by a Pep.

Weetabix,

as far as the critter i saw hauling *ss, THATS EXACTLY what i thought. I'll have to keep an eye peeled for him and get him out if i can ever catch him.. Just saw him for a split second but looked more like a shrimp than anything.

so the pods are not babies. then.. just really tiny. Ha.. wonder where they were hiding? Cause they all decided to atach to the glass first thing this am.

Thanks for the note.. Much appreciated.

HELP....

Need the assitance of those that KNOW.

I'm a month in on my 28 G Nanocube.. Cycled finished about a week ago. all levels are good.

I made some mistakes along the way..Made the mistake of listening to the kid at the LFS who told met that the Nashville tap water is GREAT. filled the tank with that (then got flamed pretty good by the vets here. which i took like a man. quietly, and respectfully)

I ran the MH during the cycle (which some argue to do, some say NOT to)

I have algae growing so tall that i fear i'll never get to adding coral. (i'm over reacting here. But im not sure of which way to turn.)

I've got a small CUC, as this is my first SW tank i dont want to kill anything pointlessly so i'm going slow.

7 small hermits

5 nassarius snails

three Astraea's

1 Pepp Shrimp

They are all eating but they will never get all of this. I know that Phosphates must be the biggest culprit as i'm testing almost daily and the Ammonia, Trites and Trates are virtually not there. I will have the water tested tomorrow for EVERYTHING and see what shows. I'm guessing Phosphates.

So...what's my next step? I've cut the light cycle by a bunch. should i just leave it off and cover the tank?

Should i treat the tank with something to try and kill the algae?

or Just continue to watch the CUC munch, munch munch?

I did a good sized change last weekend, and will do another tomorrow. (with DI water mix)

Just really perplexed because the algae just keeps swaying in the flow. doesnt seem to be dying back at all.

Cycle is Complete.. i have great LR and have been patient, but i dont want to add another thing, fish or coral until the alge is under control. it looks terrible.

I enjoy the site and and reading everyday and researching as much as i can.

Hoping you guys can point me yet again in the right direction.

Thanking you all in advance for your words of wisdon.

p.s.

I'm getting a tatto that says "give me DI/RO, Or give me death"

the whole tap water makes me nervous. i hope you have good tds.

Sorry to change the subject but who is the chick in the avitar. smokin and bouncing!!!!

The tank looks great so far Mercuryne. I wish I could help ya with the algea but Im a noob as well. I do recall a post saying something about starving them by cutting the lights down and some form of mangrove plant will help keep nitrates down and starve them further or something like that. Sorry I couldnt be more help.

Sorry to change the subject but who is the chick in the avitar. smokin and bouncing!!!!

james.. Im not sure who she is.. Wonder if she's into Reefing?

The tank looks great so far Mercuryne. I wish I could help ya with the algea but Im a noob as well. I do recall a post saying something about starving them by cutting the lights down and some form of mangrove plant will help keep nitrates down and starve them further or something like that. Sorry I couldnt be more help.

Thanks Monkfish,

I went to the LFS today and picked up a Phosphate test kit, some sea Gel which i will put into the bottom chamber of the filter box. That should polish the water and hopefully remove the Phates (i'm guessing Phosphates are the biggest culprit of adding to the algae growth.)

also am adding to the CUC.. a couple of Mexican Turbo's and a few black turbo's, 4 algae Cowrie's and 3 more astrae's.

I know that Eventually, with water changes, and cuc working the algae will be gone... I'm just ready to start adding Coral, but refuse to do so till the tank is clean.. Big water chage coming tomrorow am.

Cross your fingers.

Hi there,

I really enjoyed reading your thread because of your enthusiasm for the tank.

About Algae and phosphates:

When I first had a reef tank as noob 10 years ago, I made the same mistake of using tap water to fill the tank and I got horrible hair algae infestation that eventually covered the whole tank. It took a while with R/O water to completely change out the phosphate infested tank because water changes tend to dilute phosphate concentrations but not completely eliminate them.

I would suggest using your R/O water (hopefully you got a unit with a DI resin) to change out more of the volume that you ordinarily would and use a phosphate removing media, and of course be patient.

I've got a tank now that I started using better practices, but there are some patches of algae present because I got uncured live rock with some of it already present. I've been able to keep a handle on the algae without scrubbing the rocks and rarely removing the algae.

I'm trying to use natural means of control and hope for the best. I would love for you to visit my thread and let me know what you think. I also documented my entire cycle process, so there may be some info you can use.

I would love to leave more comments, but I'm afraid I've typed too much.........

Looking forward to updates,

B

Hi there,

I really enjoyed reading your thread because of your enthusiasm for the tank.

About Algae and phosphates:

When I first had a reef tank as noob 10 years ago, I made the same mistake of using tap water to fill the tank and I got horrible hair algae infestation that eventually covered the whole tank. It took a while with R/O water to completely change out the phosphate infested tank because water changes tend to dilute phosphate concentrations but not completely eliminate them.

I would suggest using your R/O water (hopefully you got a unit with a DI resin) to change out more of the volume that you ordinarily would and use a phosphate removing media, and of course be patient.

I've got a tank now that I started using better practices, but there are some patches of algae present because I got uncured live rock with some of it already present. I've been able to keep a handle on the algae without scrubbing the rocks and rarely removing the algae.

I'm trying to use natural means of control and hope for the best. I would love for you to visit my thread and let me know what you think. I also documented my entire cycle process, so there may be some info you can use.

I would love to leave more comments, but I'm afraid I've typed too much.........

Looking forward to updates,

B

Klarion,

THANK YOU.. finally someone responds with tips on the Algae removal. I was starting to worry that i'd never get another tip. I had convinced myself that the good people on this site that have been doing it awhile, had written me off for a few rookie mistakes and had decided to band together and watch me fail. Thank you Klarion, my faith has been restored.

The whole tap water thing was so stupid.. I was so excited to get water in the tank and the fact that the LFS guy told me they use the Nashville water on all their tanks because it test's so well, just caused me to go against everything i knew. STUPID. I've used nothing but DI water for changes since the initial fill.

LIVE AND LEARN.. right? <nervous laugh>

I hired additional workers on the CUC today:

4 black turbo's

4 more astrae's

2 large Mexicans (that look sort of like school busses, that may have to come out later)

and 4 algae cowrie's

I also added a small bag of Sea Gel tonight. I know it will polish the water, hoping it will bring down the Phosphates. I bought a Phos Test kit, and will test in the morning before a 33 Percent Water Change.

Also put a small Koralie (sp?) Nano head in the corner of the tank blowing across the algae in hopes that the increased flow will help combat it.

I've been so freaked about the algae explosion that i've not posted a photo of the tank since it really took off. But, for the sake of education i will do so tomorrow, in hopes that my mistake MIGHT just help others who are considering getting into the hobby.

So stand by for photo of large trees of algae to be posted in the morning. And leave your weed wackers in the garage. I'll handle it..HA

Hi,

I also noticed that you have a powerful light, so that will help your algae grow. I would reduce the photo period until you get some light hungry corals (I would probably wait with introducing most corals until the algae problem is reasonably resolved) and I feel that it's OK to remove extra algae by hand to help out the CUC crew.

Some people will tell you to take out the rocks and scrub them clean, but I would do that as a last, last resort because you'll be getting rid of some very nice hitchers as well. In fact, yours are great. You got sponges, and pods and feather duster worms right away! I wasn't so lucky even though I soft cycled my uncured rock. Unfortunately, it wasn't the best rock to get in terms of hitch hikers (Tonga branch rock form LiveAquaria.com).

There is a nice sub community on these forums that really care about getting a variety of life forms despite the algae proliferation cost, and you're certainly on your way to that goal.

My best friend in the fight against algae is an Emerald Crab. I have a small one right now and he eats many kinds of undesirable algae. The snails just keep the rocks clean until some coralline algae can colonize it and prevent hair algae from taking root.

I would also watch the snails carefully and even count them because if some of them or even one die, that may pollute the water even more.

And finally, it may be time to turn on that skimmer because it will export lots of nutrients including some organically bound phosphate!

Hi,

I also noticed that you have a powerful light, so that will help your algae grow. I would reduce the photo period until you get some light hungry corals (I would probably wait with introducing most corals until the algae problem is reasonably resolved) and I feel that it's OK to remove extra algae by hand to help out the CUC crew.

Some people will tell you to take out the rocks and scrub them clean, but I would do that as a last, last resort because you'll be getting rid of some very nice hitchers as well. In fact, yours are great. You got sponges, and pods and feather duster worms right away! I wasn't so lucky even though I soft cycled my uncured rock. Unfortunately, it wasn't the best rock to get in terms of hitch hikers (Tonga branch rock form LiveAquaria.com).

There is a nice sub community on these forums that really care about getting a variety of life forms despite the algae proliferation cost, and you're certainly on your way to that goal.

My best friend in the fight against algae is an Emerald Crab. I have a small one right now and he eats many kinds of undesirable algae. The snails just keep the rocks clean until some coralline algae can colonize it and prevent hair algae from taking root.

I would also watch the snails carefully and even count them because if some of them or even one die, that may pollute the water even more.

And finally, it may be time to turn on that skimmer because it will export lots of nutrients including some organically bound phosphate!

I feel like i just hit the Powerball. Klarion..you are an Oak! THANK YOU again.

All these question Ive had for days, but felt like i didnt want to keep posting and asking for help on the same problem.

I actually cut my light period by a bunch earlier this week. Running the MH abou 4 hours a day now to try and combat. I've read lots of posts about scrubbing the LR and pulling it off by hand, but for some reason the purist in me just cant get there. Mainly for the reason you mentioned. THE HITCH HIKERS. it seems most of the hikers rode out my cycle and made it through (except the aptaisia which the Pepp Shrimp has made quick work of) I really want to be able to figure this out naturally so to speak. dont really want to dose it up too hard, etc. SO the cuc and the Sea Gel will have an opportunity.

I decided a couple of days ago that i will not dd one coral till this tank is CLEAN and CLEAR.

Emerald crab will be Next addition if todays moves dont work over time. heck i've waited this long. whats a few more days or weeks.

And FINALLY the skimmer. I'd read so much about guys that decided NOT to use them.. but i think I'll switch it on tomorrow and let it do its thing. Cant hurt right? (Cept maybe some bubbles)

Can I run the skimmer a few hours a day? then shut it off? or does it have to run continually?

Once again Klarion.. a real tip of my hat to you for your willingness to share your information.

Seph, thanks for the reply.. one more quick question for you.

The Tank has been up and running for over three weeks now..just had a few spagetti worms and feather dusters hitchhike and show themselves early.. but i had not see pods until THIS MORNING.

Then when the lights came on .. BOOM there were Tons of them all over the glass.

so in my ignorance im wondering.. Did someone have babies? or did they just now decide to show themselves?

They probably came with the CUC or with your live rock (probably the additional two pieces). Also, I think they breed very fast because they're close to the bottom of the food chain and need to reproduce very fast. Since you don't have any natural predators (fish mostly and especially something like the six line wrasse), they probably over populated a little bit.

But, they're great to have for the future because almost everything alive eats them (probably not snails though ;) )

b

I feel like i just hit the Powerball. Klarion..you are an Oak! THANK YOU again.

All these question Ive had for days, but felt like i didnt want to keep posting and asking for help on the same problem.

I actually cut my light period by a bunch earlier this week. Running the MH abou 4 hours a day now to try and combat. I've read lots of posts about scrubbing the LR and pulling it off by hand, but for some reason the purist in me just cant get there. Mainly for the reason you mentioned. THE HITCH HIKERS. it seems most of the hikers rode out my cycle and made it through (except the aptaisia which the Pepp Shrimp has made quick work of) I really want to be able to figure this out naturally so to speak. dont really want to dose it up too hard, etc. SO the cuc and the Sea Gel will have an opportunity.

I decided a couple of days ago that i will not dd one coral till this tank is CLEAN and CLEAR.

Emerald crab will be Next addition if todays moves dont work over time. heck i've waited this long. whats a few more days or weeks.

And FINALLY the skimmer. I'd read so much about guys that decided NOT to use them.. but i think I'll switch it on tomorrow and let it do its thing. Cant hurt right? (Cept maybe some bubbles)

Can I run the skimmer a few hours a day? then shut it off? or does it have to run continually?

Once again Klarion.. a real tip of my hat to you for your willingness to share your information.

I'm glad I was able to help some. Usually too much help is not wanted and some people even say to not give suggestions.

IMO, it's best to run the skimmer continually since it will take it some time to "break in" and start producing continuous foam. (that is if you have a good skimmer-mine doesn't work all too well, but it was almost free!!!)

About not using skimmers: yes, there are different opinions out there, and I suppose if you boil and scrape your rock before adding it and feed minimally by measuring calories, there is really no need for it. I'm of an opinion that unless you avoid all additives and preparations and have impeccable natural sea water, Skimmers are a way to go. The reasoning being that eventually something will get into our water and pollute the fragile ecosystem. There is no way of knowing what kind of quality products, salts, additives we use and what ends up in the water, so I say it's best to take everything out and control what you put in. Being--less is more!

Merc,

Just read in another thread that you can get an R/O filter at Bed, BAth & Beyond for about $30 that screws right onto your kitchen faucett.

Merc,

Just read in another thread that you can get an R/O filter at Bed, BAth & Beyond for about $30 that screws right onto your kitchen faucett.

Just make sure you get an R/O with DI unit. $30 seems very low compared even with the lowest deals I've seen at Ebay. Mine was $100. This also seems like a good deal.

I would say this is probably your most important purchase given the situation at this point. Make sure you get something that will last.

The upside to this expense is that your whole family can have ready access to pristine drinking water. Mine don't even bother to buy bottled water anymore. They all got plastic travel bottles and stock up at home now.

Just make sure you get an R/O with DI unit. $30 seems very low compared even with the lowest deals I've seen at Ebay. Mine was $100. This also seems like a good deal.

I would say this is probably your most important purchase given the situation at this point. Make sure you get something that will last.

The upside to this expense is that your whole family can have ready access to pristine drinking water. Mine don't even bother to buy bottled water anymore. They all got plastic travel bottles and stock up at home now.

Oh Believe me.. I have indeed learned my lesson.. I've got a spot on my garage wall all picked out for a DI/RO unit.

I am going to have a plumber tie into a water line that is exposed (one that runs out to the outside hose spiget)

Will hang the unit on the wall in the garage.

That being said, i will wait until i can invest in a Good solid unit. Not taking a chance on one just because of price.

It will pay off in the end. Plus.. the organic food store IN MY Neighborhood. Literally 1/2 mile away. sells RO for 45c per gallon. that will work for now.

I currently have 8 gallons of RO mixing with salt and heating, for a large change this afternoon. while doing the change i am going to vacuum every single inch of the tank, i also have two more sections of LR to add, so i will vacuum, rework the aquascape, (moving everything forward a bit, and off of the back wall) i want to be able to clean back there without having to move them everytime.

Oh Yeah.. almost forgot.. I finally hooked up the tubing to the Skimmer and turned it on this morning. its been running a few hours and there's already a light tea colored, very wet Skimmate coming into the skimmer cap.

THE CUC did some good work last night on the Algae but its still there. PICTURES COMING within the hour.

Busy day today.

Five weeks into the life of the tank, battling Algae, not happy with the aquascape, needing a big water change..etc etc etc.

Just finished a ten gallong WC and complete reworking of the LR. I've post photos of THAT once the tank has cleared.. But I wanted to throw up a couple of photos of the massive algae bloom I've had in the past few weeks. I didnt want to scrub the rocks because i had good hitchhikers, and i didnt want to add the CUC too early because i wasnt cycled yet and i didnt see the point in murder.

So here's the flowing algae in all its glory... its ugly........dont laugh.. just hope that my mistakes in setup might teach someone just starting what NOT to do.

DSC00561.jpg

Another ....

DSC00564.jpg

and finally

DSC00563.jpg

More later...Beat!

love the thread - been following it for quite a while now. i'm a couple weeks behind you on my first SW tank as well. i've had my LR cycleing in a rubbermaid for about 5 weeks now (problably cycled by now) and i had a hermit crab in there when i started the cycle (came with the rock). checked a couple hrs ago and he was roaming around munching on what he could find. now i'm very inexperienced with salt water so i'm not really one to give advice, however my little hermit survived a cycle so you may want to consider dropping in one or 2 to help with that algea.

best of luck

mike

Merc,

Looks like every member of the CUC in the pics are eating something. My guess is the'll clean it up in pretty short order. Especially since you added some Turbos.

love the thread - been following it for quite a while now. i'm a couple weeks behind you on my first SW tank as well. i've had my LR cycleing in a rubbermaid for about 5 weeks now (problably cycled by now) and i had a hermit crab in there when i started the cycle (came with the rock). checked a couple hrs ago and he was roaming around munching on what he could find. now i'm very inexperienced with salt water so i'm not really one to give advice, however my little hermit survived a cycle so you may want to consider dropping in one or 2 to help with that algea.

best of luck

mike

Mike,

Thanks for stopping by the thread. Its almost like therapy to be able to sit and write about frustrations, etc. invovled with setting up you first SW reef tank. I indeed have quite a CUC in the tank.. Turbo snails, Astrae's, Nassarius, i big Mexican Turbo, two red legged Hermits and 5 very small Blue legs.

If it werent for the Algae, i might have already started adding Coral's slowly. But its become this personal war for me on the algae. I'm determined to beat it (Without Pulling it out by hand) People on the site have been great. (Thanks Klarion and others)

I'll check out your thread Mike. Stay tuned for news from the FRONT LINES. HA

Chaeto

In my new battle plan to defeate the Green stuff.. i'm in search of MORE green stuff.

I've read so much about adding Chaeto to the tank so that it will compete for nutrients with the bad algae...("Bad Algae.. Bad Algae") as if i were scolding a dog. haaa..just cracked myself up.

I saw the soap dish trick that i think H20 employed in his tank.

So.. good idea?

If so.. where should iIaquire the good stuff? LFS? or should i just order from a member here?

If you have some and can spare.. i'll gladly pay for it.

PM me if you can help.

Mercuryne

Archived