inTank Media Baskets

Mercuryne's 28G Algae Farm

Mercuryne

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
update pics?

Sorry Kraylen.. i am going to change my metal halide bulb and add some more lr to my 28g this weekend.

i dont care for my aquascape much.. but i have a really cool multi fingered rock that i am slowly covering with zoas and paly's i want to get it up much higher in the display so i need one more large flat bit of rock.

More FTS's coming this weekend once ive reworked..

I did snap a sort of blurry shot of my emerald crap last night perched inside my plating monti..

new hideout for him that he seems to love...

however.. if i find that any more of my corals go missing.. he's going to go missing too.

a good look at one of my first frags from Weety on the right.

the ashley's angel hair zoa's i believe she called them. started with one polyp.. really growing.

backatthehideout-1.jpg

Merc, the Phoenix will look blueish white and crisp. the 20K will look more blue. I think that you will be happy with the Phoenix

Thanks DT... looking forward to getting it swapped out. i waited too long..

plus we have a big frag swap here next weekend and i'm adding some new stuff to the tank i want the light to be great.

appreciate the flyby.

::::Twiddlin my thumbs::::

Waitin on new 14k MH Bulb.

My dad is starting his first reef an 8 Gallon Biocube. so he's coming to nashville this weekend to buy his LR at my LFS. the ones near him are not good.

i'm going to do a huge WC and give him the change water to transport his LR with and then he can seed his tank with it. also will give him a few scoops of my Live Sand.

i want to rework my scape this weekend so i need to find a large flat chuck of LR so that i can re-scape.

its never ending with this hobby isnt it? When you think you have it, then you change your mind.

ahhh fun.

::::Twiddlin my thumbs::::

Waitin on new 14k MH Bulb.

My dad is starting his first reef an 8 Gallon Biocube. so he's coming to nashville this weekend to buy his LR at my LFS. the ones near him are not good.

i'm going to do a huge WC and give him the change water to transport his LR with and then he can seed his tank with it. also will give him a few scoops of my Live Sand.

i want to rework my scape this weekend so i need to find a large flat chuck of LR so that i can re-scape.

its never ending with this hobby isnt it? When you think you have it, then you change your mind.

ahhh fun.

I like your trumpet coral! I just picked one up myself, any tips?

How large and flat do you want the LR piece to be?

Gimme me some rough measurements and I'll check the extra LR I have to see if anything fits the bill.

I can always throw it in with the rest of your order that I'm bringing to the Swap.

I do like your "Finger" but need more pic's...more...more...lol

Maybe a full tank shot!

I dont have any real recent FTS's and im about to rescape. never can seem to get it right.

we have a frag swap here Next weekend and i have some stuff coming from weety and biblesue, zoa's anyway.. want to fill the zoa finger rock with lots of color.

thanks for checking it out nosey here's the most recent FTS.

NewAquascapeNoFlash.jpg

I like your trumpet coral! I just picked one up myself, any tips?

Codeman. ive alwasy called it a candy cabe.. not sure if its also a trumpet.

when i bought it it was about 6 heads.. and its done really well lately.. its doubled and split (or grown new mouths) there are about 13 to 15 heads now.

Pretty easy to take care of.. i feed marine snow once a week.

that's the only thing i give it. at night when the light goes out, it extends lots of feeding tentacles. pretty cool.

MH REPLACED!!! FINALLY

Been running the stock JBJ 150W MH bulb in this reef for 11 and 1/2 months and i am happy to have finally gotten it swapped out.

after much deliberation i took DT and Weety's advice and put in a Phoenix 14k.

it looks soo much different from the JBJ stock bulb.. More blue and really nice.

i only had it on for a couple of minutes after replacing it but look forward to seeing how the coral responds tomorrow when i get home from work.

I'd definately recommend the phoenix for those questioning which MH to get at least from first glance.

let you know how the inhabitants feel about it later.

I had recently been having trouble with my evil mels green skirted zoa's. they were looking like they were shriveling up and not happy at all. They are on a huge base rock so dipping them would have been tough..

did a HUGE WC last weekend and they have rebounded nicely.

Photos to come.

Looking forward to meeting Weety and Biblesue and others at the Middle TN frag swap this weekend.

FRAG SWAP POSTING

Great day today!

i attended my first frag swap.. The middle TN frag swap in Murfreesboro, TN.

just about 30 minutes from my house.

I was amazed at the number of people there just looking at and buying coral not to mention the number of Frag tanks setup with a beautiful selection. something else that amazed me:

some of the tanks were pristine.. and some looked like crap. i dont understand how you'd go to hawk your wares and have a crappy looking dispay.. i mean some with crud in the water.. etc.. anyway.. enough of the negative. Most tanks were Beautiful and i cant really get my head wrapped around what you must have to do to pack that much stuff. a tank.. lights.. water.. and all those frags.. much less get em setup and get them to open back up in time.

I had the opportunity to say hello to Weetabix and Biblesue in person.. and Weety then introduced me to Clifford??? i know there are some numbers on his screen name. but cant remember. sorry man

Anyway.. all very very nice people.

BibleSue had the Reef Chicks coral kitchen set up and her display was beautiful. a huge selection, very clean and well marked. i bought some "Horizon" zoa's and a smal frag of pulsing zenia from her.

Weety had brought from her tank a small frag of Devils armor zoa's and a nice frag of Watermellon zoa's.

i also purchased from other vendors:

Armor of The God Zoa's

Eagle Eye Zoa's

a really bright Green with a slighly blue center (not named) zoas

a small but beautiful devils hand leather

and a fantastic Blue Acro (my first real attempt with SPS) Hope i dont screw it up.

everything was acclimated.. and then placed in my tank.some of the zoa's when on my big Zoa finger rock

the Zenia got glued on in the middle of my scape..its small but cant wait to see it pulsing.

and i glued the acro with the disc in the middle of the tank with what i hope will be proper flow.

the devils hand leather also got placed on the scape> (hoping it gets happy soon)

the rest of the zoas are resting in the substrate...

the beautiful thing about the swap were the prices.. it seemed like i was getting great deals.. nice frags for 5, 10 and 15 bucks...much more affordable than the LFS sometimes.. and it sure beat paying for overnight shipping.

I know this is just letters without the photos to go with them...

i want everyone open and waving when i snap photos tomorrow.

HUGE thanks to Weetabix, for being as nice in person as she has been on NR all this time.

GO TO A LOCAL FRAG SWAP.. its so well worth it.

G'Nite

It was nice to meet you too, Merc. Don't worry about the numbers, even the experts are stumped :lol:

so did you get as crazy as Weety and I? buy a bunch of stuff?

i wish id had more time.. im sure there was more i needed. was in a rush to take my son to a party.. wish i could have really looked it all over.. the cool thing was the prices. so much better than the LFS.

nice to meet you man...going to check out your thread now.

Peace.

New additions:

Eagle eyes

jan1508additionEagleEyeZoas.jpg

Armor OF Gods

DSC02064.jpg

Blue Acro

DSC02063.jpg

wammin watermelons

DSC02059.jpg

Leather

DSC02061.jpg

Horizon Zoas

DSC02048.jpg

Name of Greens and reds? unknown?

DSC02045.jpg

greens close up

DSC02047.jpg

baby Xenia

DSC02055.jpg

Can anyone identify? LFS said it was GSP. ha.....doesnt even look close

DSC02053.jpg

FTS...but i changed the scape a bit right after..i know.. i know..i cant stop

DSC02072.jpg

It was nice to meet you too, Merc. Don't worry about the numbers, even the experts are stumped :lol:

You tryin to say somethin?? <_<

Yes, I spent my entire allowance :mellow: Got some nice frags though. I walked in circles for five hours :lol:

But it was fun, wasn't it? :P

Stuff's looking good Merc.

I don't think your camera is giving a very good color representation of your corals though, cause I can tell you that the colors of the frag of your frogspawn I got look much nicer than what I'm seeing here. I really like it!

It looks kinda like the tentacles have a forest green color with pastel teal colored tips, very cool.

DT.. thanks man..

i am going to post a photo of the RDE that you sent me next to the new frag of greens. they are a little different. very well may both be RDE's but they seem a little different stand by...

agreed on the encrusting Gorg.. i think thats the best call.. centers are green. but the rest is WHITE.

weird never seen it before. will be interesting to see how much and how fast it spreads.

Weety...

Agreed.. my camera..umm well ...not great.. i was going to post something else, but figured you'd just edit it anyway. haaa...i need to buy a REAL camera.. i need a better macro lens and proper color..

mynew Phoenix bulb is BLUEEEEEEEE...

Avon. thanks for stopping by..

nice finds

Bonsai.. thanks for swinging by..

the stuff was quality.. and at great prices.. i'll be doing the frag swap again next year for sure.

Not a new addition. but my Candy Canes that were my very first coral a year ago.. started with 5 heads.

They've Split a number of times.. i had a big red shroom that was on a totally different rock.. it must have let go and floated.. woke up the other day and it had attached itself to the candy cane skeleton.

also a really cool feather duster on the bottom.

3 in one.. Cool!

canesdusterandshroom.jpg

ok..

Red Slime..

starting to see a bit on the sand and LR..

Tank is a year old and params are VERY stable..

what gives? i will get a photo but im seeing on my chaeto and sand bed in the bottom right hand corner..

without photos i know its harder.. but thoughts on it? is it a flow problem..

i mean really its a somethign in the water problem.. i just dont know what.

just tested last night and trates and trites and virtually zero...

checked phosphates.. all good...

ph is perfect....

hmnmmm.

Hmm, well the first thing that springs to mind is that it's some kind of chain reaction to the new frags you added since everything is stable.

Have you done a WC since you added everything in?

I'd do a 20% WC and leave the lights off for a day and see how it is after that.

Vacuum the sand good when you do the WC.

Archived