Top Shelf Aquatics

Mercuryne's 28G Algae Farm

Mercuryne

Ok..

RO/DI unit ordered from Air, Water, Ice.

Got the five stage Compact III with with DI diverter valve and handheld TDS meter.

not sure yet how i will plumb it in..

i got the faucet adapter for now.. and also ordered a hose y diverter so that i can maybe mount it on the wall of my laundry room and run the cold water supply from the wall through the y diverter then one hose to the washing machine and the other to the RO unit...could put reservoir tank beside the washing machine.

we'll see...

hope this knocks out the cyano in my 28G tank.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a huge cyano problem in my 28g.

What happened with me, is that I Went home for christmas, and my fuge light stopped working.

All of the cheato died, and released ALL of the accumulated phos and nitrates out into my water. eek.

Cyano EVERYWHERE.

A ton of water changes, new cheato, new light fixed the problem in a few weeks.

I also added a DSB and a bunch of mangroves which probably helped, but I think it was the regrowth of the cheato since it probably takes a few weeks for the DSB to start working and mangroves to really settle in.

thanks colione...mine has to be poor RO water from the health food store...everything else is rules out.

New RO/DI unit should fix.. I HOPE....

hate the cyano....bleh!

i love your clown, cool colors, really unique.

inthebOx...

thanks or the props on the clown..

that was an orange true perc when i bought it but its sure darkened in the past year.. if he didnt have the orange on his tail and head you might swear he's an onyx clown.. so dark.. and i like the fact the white in the middle doesnt touch..cool

This is not an algae farm, this is a lie!

:P

Girlgoneauqua..

Thanks for stopping by the thread.. did you go back to the first few pages of my thread and see what happened to me after my initial fill?

haaa.. it WAS an algae farm.. and my pal Monkfish actually named it for me when he made my first signature.. and it just sort of stuck...not an algae farm anymore. but now its trying to turn into a cyano farm..

ha.

got the "air water and ice" compact iii RO/DI unit in yesterday..

got everything hooked up to the faucet in my upstairs bar (for now.. will install it permanently in my laundry room as soon as i get another hose.)

COMPACT III

75 GPD RO/DI with DI bypass valve

DSC02274.jpg

Hope this will help with the Cyano problem. and even if it doesnt solve it. i'll have some good peace of mind knowing that im using water with 000 TDS.

Just have to figure out now what all i will do with the waste water.. there's certainly plenty of it..

Laundry, flowers, pond top off. etc.etc..

wish me luck.

7 Gallon WC this morning with fresh water from my shiny new RO/DI unit. i ran the unit for three hours into the sink to the the filters flush as directed.

made 7 gallons last night and got the salt mixed and water heated.. so nice to not have to run to the health food store.

Oh Quick note... i went lights out on my MH this week.. just ran the actinis and the moonlights..

ALL the CYANO is now GONE.....i mean gone..not a trace of it anywhere...

Id advise three days light out for everyone every now and again. seemed like all the pest algae was gone from the glass too.

i'll do this every so often from now on.. No ill effects for the coral either.

cant believe i waited a year before i bought the ro unit. 159 bucks at air water and ice.

DO IT.

SO.. nice to be able to turn ont he cold water and run off a couple of gallons of Clean water for Top off..

do not delay.. orders your RO unit Today. haaa.

Woah man, I totally went to page 4 and I take back that your a liar! lol

I never had an algae probley before, but im dealing with some really dirty sand and I dont know what to do because its not cyno, it looks as though coraline is growing on the pebbles so my sand is green and purple?!

plus, saw a pic of your clown! what a cutie and such a rare find!

Atlanta Aquaruim

I know there must be many many posts on NR.com about members trips to the Georgia Aquarium.

I had not had the opportunity to go there yet, so i took my wife and son this past weekend.

I'll start this story by saying that i realized once i got down the road on my way about an hour into the trip that i'd left the battery charger for my digital camera at home. So.. although it was an amazing experience i'm still somewhat sad about the fact that these photos that im about to post, could have been so much more clear and sharp if i werent such an idiot. these are camera phone shots and just blurry as all get out but you'll get the idea.

The "Ocean Voyager" display (6.3 million gallons) just blew my mind.. i couldnt believe the size of the tank.

2 foot thick viewing panes.. and the amount of life in there was ridiculous.

i had to ask a bunch of question as im not obsessed not just with the fish and coral but with HOW IT WORKS.

1.8 million pounds of salt to get the salinity right in that big tank.. wow.

also have a really hard time believing that they can filter that amount in just 60 minutes..

i'm so mad that i didnt taket he behind the scenes tour.. (i have a two year old) should have done it though.

Just amazing.. here are some blurry crappy photos.

if you look in the middle of this one.. you will see my wife, holding my curly headed boy . and they are looking at that giant grouperin the middle of the display.

MomBooand6Milliongallons2-15-20099-.jpg

hammerhead

hammerhead2-15-20099-32-07AM.jpg

Giant Grouper

giantgrouper2-15-20099-47-07AM.jpg

Coral Reef Tank

ReefTank2-15-20099-12-50AM.jpg

No Need for the Tang Police (163K) of SW Water

ReefFishes2-15-20099-12-27AM.jpg

Thanks NRFReally a great way to spend a day

Can't wait to go back in a few years and see how much the coral reef has grown out

They have lots of stuff in there..good sized leathers and frogspawn

I'm sure it will only get better with time.

having used the fresh RO/DI filter for the past two water changes and having gone lights out for three days.. happy to report that the cyano is GONE....defeated.. for now anyway.

the addition of the Koralia 1 Power head no doubt helped.. and removing my chaeto from behind the rocks in the display and putting in in the chamber where my skimmer use to reside also had to help.

happy to say i defeated the Cyano without having to dose the tank.

:::::Proud::::::

Took my son with me to the LFS today.. we had not been in a while, brought home a new inhabitant for the 28G Algae Farm.

A Bi-Colored Blenny.

he's a small fellow but very cool.. navy or purplish body with a yellow tail.

as you guys know they perch up on the rocks, or find a hole to back down into just leaving their heads sticking out so they can watch the action of the other life forms in the tank.

really pleased with this little guy and my son digs it too.

photo to come tomorrow.

Tank is VERY healthy after purchasing my very own RO/DI unit...

i was buying RO from a health food store.. but everything seems 1/4 more happy lately..

IF you dont have GET RO/DI of your Very own..

Couple of new additions....two new rics...

a green and an orange to go with the blue/grey that i already had.

the only ric i had in the tank was next to my frogspawn and the ric wasnt growing much. i moved the frogspawn to the back of the tank as it was taking over and now the ric is exploding with growth.. guess he was getting his daily does of stinking from the spawn.

also the Pumping Xenia that i got at the middle TN frag swap back in Jan is going crazy.. already had a brach of it attach and move over to a neighboring rock....going to have to start fragging already and get rid of some of it. i've heard people say that it goes fast but man.. this is rocking.

two new pepp shrimps added today.. the one i had had died and the aiptasia are popping up. the new pepps should get then in line soon.

Photos coming tonight.. happy with the tank its doing really well.

Your right monk..

lets go back a bit .. shall we

Day one

DSC00474.jpg

A couple week in to the cycle after filling with TAP WATER :o

DSC00563.jpg

a couple of months in...going sloooooww

DSC00801.jpg

1 year Birthday

DSC02241-1.jpg

im diggin the zoa garden! tank looks great!

Archived