Coral Vue Hydros

Nano Diary - running total £1547.83! - newbies stop now!

Sexy Shrimp

Sexy Shrimp
I have officially (in my book, at least) elevated you to my list of "Reef Goddesses of Nano-Reef.com". That is all.

LOL. I wouldn't quite go that far. I seem to have irritated a few on here (including mods - sorry OC). This place has turned me into what I hated in others when I joined. It's funny how when you are immersed in an attitude it can rub off. Mind you it doesn't help when you offer advice to newbies and they turn around an virtually call you an idiot :angry: .

Just dosed and my params are back up to

KH - 10

Ca - still 360 - need to buy ca supplement :)

Mg - 1360

Trying out a Mg product the LFS asked me to have a go of. It takes twice the recommended dose to raise the Mg. It appears to be a mix of epsom salts and anhydrous MgCl - basically the good stuff bulked out with the cheap stuff. It's Brightwell Aquatics Magnesion-P. It takes less than MgSO4 but more than what they recommend to MgCl2. I guess it depends on the price whether I will buy more when the tub has run out...

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sexy Shrimp

I think by now you will all have worked out that I have a day off work and am indulging myself with my tank...

Got a slightly better pic of the new unidentified coral addition...

100_2943.jpg

And feeding the duncans

100_2942.jpg

100_2946.jpg

100_2948.jpg

Not got a "burping" pic yet though ;)

I'll have to agree with spanko - it does look like a Pavona coral - there are several types, but I've seen that one before. Good pics of the other new additions too! My Duncans have become one of my favorites and they multiply quickly. On the ammonia & nitrite hopefully it will be gone quick - maybe you stirred up something that caused the rise and it'll be gone as quick as it arrived.

Sexy Shrimp

Thanks guys. I'm going towards pavona too. Can't wait for it to show its polyps properly.

Just retested my water (no I'm not obsessive)

Ammonia >0 <0.1

Nitrite - 0.025

pH - 8.4

KH - 10

Mg - 1120

Ammonia coming down :)

Twice the recommended dosage of that thing has brought my levels up by nothing! Just added another 30ml of the stock solution and will test again in the morning...

Sexy Shrimp

I think I worked it out wrong lol.

Dissolve 4 tsp in 8 fl oz

Of this stock solution, 1 ml will raise the Mg in 1 gal by 6ppm.

So

24ml will raise 24 gal by 6ppm

4ml will raise 24 gal by 1ppm

I need 240ppm so 240x4 = 960ml nearly a litre!!! Surely this can't be right...

And there was me calculating I needed 20ml lol. I have added the 250ml that I have made up and see what that works out as tomorrow. It should raise it by 60ish...

Sorry about the pom pom's anemones :( Are you sure they died - do they look ill or are they gone? Do you think it was changing the water chemistry too quickly? Are you sure you test kits are accurate? Bummer.

By the way - I can't see the picture you might have posted - they've blocked most pictures here at work.

Sexy Shrimp

I'm thinking the ammonia spike...

They are gone unfortunately. It may not have been today that they died though as I haven't seen him for about 2 weeks so maybe they have been gone a while?

Guess it's an excuse to get another so they can share :)

Sexy Shrimp

So much change at the mo

New FTS

100_2969.jpg

And the boring stuff

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0.025

Nitrate - 1

pH - 8.4

KH - 10

Mg - 1230

Ca - 320

Mg up a bit but its making the corals suck up the calcium :( really need to get a calcium supplement :(

W/C tomorrow to try and get the Ca up a little...

I've heard of Pom Pom's grabbing Xenia and using those too.

Hey tangboy - thanks for stopping by on my thread :)

Sexy Shrimp

Got a new light to try out - wasn't keen on the other. Although it was 20K it never seemed blue enough to me. Or rather too yellow.

Guess the K and make????

FTS

100_2978.jpg

RHS

100_2977.jpg

LHS

100_2979.jpg

Wonder if you still have the rubble on the sponge in the first chamber? I have the sponges only in there and glean that they are nitrate factories. Been having problems with nitrates lately - down to two clowns and one spotted tail cardinal plus a few snails/hermits. However, I've been told by various folks that rubble in the back chambers can also pose problems. Obviously you know what you're doing and your tank is terrific. Thanks.

Phoenix 14K? The color change almost looks like the change I had going from an aging 20 k to a 14K. To me it looks a lot better and the coral color better. I've noticed since switching mine that my big Acropora SPS has increased its coloration quite a lot.

Sexy Shrimp
Phoenix 14K? The color change almost looks like the change I had going from an aging 20 k to a 14K. To me it looks a lot better and the coral color better. I've noticed since switching mine that my big Acropora SPS has increased its coloration quite a lot.

It's a 20K but with a bigger spectrum than just blue.

I don't believe I've ever told you that you have a beautiful tank!!!

Thankyou :)

Sexy Shrimp
Cut a piece of mushroom off and let your pom pom grab it.

It runs and hides as soon as it sees me :(. Besides there's tons of mushrooms floating around loose - they multiply like mad :)

nice! i love the coralline growth you have

I love the coraline even more than the corals - its just so pretty!

LOL@ the ammonia card covered in coralline!

Tell me about it!

Got some more zoas. Will post pics tonight when they are fully opened. My fave ones look like fried eggs surrounded by a neon green frill!! I got 3 lots off ebay, paid combined postage and they threw in a freebie too!!! Decent sized too 50+ polyps for £12.95

Archived