SaltCritters.com

Nano Diary - running total £1547.83! - newbies stop now!

Sexy Shrimp

Been in for two weeks now. The normal leathers are fine (if sulking a little still) but the toadstool leather was stinky and rotten. Tried to save a little bit of it but as I cut it turned to mush - just one of those things I guess. My first coral death :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found out why they are sulking:

My leather finger coral has been looking unheathy and today I noticed it had drooped. When I lifted it up it came away from the rock and there were about a dozen white nudis eating it from the inside out!!

I posted a question about my leather toadstool rotting from the base and I didn't get much help except to cut frags off it - it was only a small one and too small for this. I'm wondering whether this got killed off by the same nudis...

I have pulled it off its piece of rock (where most of the nudis were congregating) and tweezered off all the nudis I could see on the coral. Gave it a freshwater dip as I have no iodine and all the LFS are shut as its Sunday afternoon. Placed it at the opposite end of the tank (in case there were any eggs nearby) and will be keeping a close eye on it and its old location for any more that might appear.

Is there anything more I could have done (I don't have a QT)?

Here are the little beggers: Can you see how it has litterally peeled of the rock towards the bottom that it was originally attached to? Excuse the green algae (yak)...

Fingerandnudis.jpg

Added a plate coral, cleaner shrimp, pompom crab and six more nass snails.

Pics to follow when they come out of hiding...

EDIT:

Nearly forgot! Got my refractometer (proper one) today and my 1.025 water was actually 1.028! Brought it down to 1.026 over the course of 6 hours. Mushrooms suddenly look fatter - funny that

A few more pic

Left hand side

00018.jpg

Right hand side

00017.jpg

New plate (courtesy of Fishman)

00014.jpg

Xenia (moved to sand to prevent unwanted accidental offsring...)

00011.jpg

Clowns' new little hidey hole

00006.jpg

Thats' it for now...

Oooo worked out macro mode and ISO on my camera!!!

Xenia I fragged

080227macroxeniafrag.jpg

Ultimate closeup

080227ultimatemacroxeniafrag.jpg

Zoas just starting to colour up - no idea what colour they are going to be yet...

080227zoas.jpg

Plate frag again

080227platemacro.jpg

GSP

080227gsp.jpg

Still no decent clown pics out of about 50!!!!

Sexy Shrimp

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0 = good cleanup crew I guess...Still no chalk goby

Cleaner shrimp came out of hiding at dinner time today!!

00030.jpg

00032.jpg

So did the pompom crab but I wasn't quick enough with the camera...

Saw a funny little snail. Looked like it had a leathery shell. Was a little bit hairy too. Evaded my capture unfortunately (bad pic I'm afraid)

00021.jpg

Fragged my nudi riddled leather into 6 piece. Hopefully one of them will survive? It is now nudi free but where they have been eating it at the base the flesh has been rotting :( . Hopefully fragging off the tips will allow some to survive. I attached them to some rock by putting a blob of putty on the rock then the tip of a toothpick in the putty then skewering the frag. Did this for all but one, a toughie that had to be glued in the end! Fingers crossed!

EDIT: Just noticed that my hitchhiker porites (green one) has another growing nearby. It is pink when its polyps are retracted. I'm chuffed!!

Sexy Shrimp

Been to LFS with my wad of vouchers and purchased a neon goby (character already!) and a green hammerhead. Oh and a tub of freeze dried cyclopeeze.

Hammer is already extended (within 3 hours) and the goby seems to be cleaning everything. When he is not cleaning he is perching...

Done a bit of a boo boo and not tested my phosphates for a fortnight - now at 1 (grrrr). Now changed my rowaphos with hope of getting it down sharpish. Why oh why did I only test amm/n-ite after the disappearance of Mr Chalk Goby? Sudden diatom outbreak...

Pics:

Neon

080305new.jpg

Hammerhead after 30 mins

080305hammer30mins.jpg

And after 3 hours

080305hammer3hours.jpg

cost (including cyclopeeze) £74

Sexy Shrimp

New hammerhead - clown showing interest??? ooooooeeeee

100_1760.jpg

Doesnt these ones look like something rude? Or is it just my filthy mind?

100_1764.jpg

100_1765.jpg

It's looking much happier than when I first put it in...more perky lol

DogfoodEnforcer

holy crap. you're brave to have the costs posted up! what if your significant other somehow came accross it?!?!

when my gf asks me how much i paid i either say, "ummm...im not sure. i dont/cant count." or "ummm...somewhere between $100 and $3000."

on top of that sometimes i dont think i want to know just how much i have spent. probably send me into a depression.lol

great tank though. beautiful hammer that you have! how's the neon goby doing?

Sexy Shrimp

oh poo missed the prices off my last two purchases... It is depressing to look at the costs but helps prevent overstocking lol. Other half still technically lives with his mum so doesn't have a say!!

Neon goby is doing brilliantly - quite a brave little guy. Will tackle the clowns for food!

Sexy Shrimp

A few more shots:

Excuse the algae - had a bit of an outbreak since death of chalk goby...

Hermit shed while I was watching!!

100_1781.jpg

Healthy leather - 2/3 now dead because of nudis. This one is unaffected!

100_1787.jpg

Frags of GSP and xenia twice the size of before

100_1788.jpg

Plate before

080227platemacro.jpg

Plate now after 3 weeks ish. A whole new row of polyps all the way around

100_1784.jpg

Coraline starting to grow on the wires and surface skimmer (plus poser shrimp)

100_1796.jpg

Clowns and neon goby

100_1801.jpg

Clowns and shrimp

100_1804.jpg

FTS

100_1873.jpg

Sexy Shrimp

Need the algae to go :( Cut down my feeding to half of my prepared ice cube a day

Recipe:

Cube mysis with algae

Cube phyto

Strip nori (crumbled into little pieces)

Tsp cyclopeeze

2 ml coral fluid

topped up with tank water

Equally divided into 32 slots in ice cube tray.

I just melt the cube in the tank - easy peasy!

I turn of back chamber pump but leave all other powerheads on so food doesnt settle.

Sexy Shrimp

Coraline finally seems to be overtaking the green algae!!

Astrea snails are laying eggs all over the glass. There's 4 different chains of them now! Sorry make that five!!!

100_1887.jpg

100_1885.jpg

100_1886.jpg

Also my rock seems to have stopped bubbling. If the rock isn't converting the nitrate to nitrogen gas then that must mean there's no nitrate for the algae to grow on. Hopefully it should start to fade now...

Just been to the LFS and bought a CUC. Not sure how much to go for (not wanting to starve anything) plumped for 4 dwarf hermits (no redlegs in the UK at a reasonable price...) and 4 smallish turbos.

Where in the UK are you? I have quite a few small red legs at a reasonable price!

Sexy Shrimp

I'm in cheshire... I have 4 common hermits now. Don't think I have capacity for any more taking into account all the rest of my CUC. But thankyou for letting me know :)

Sexy Shrimp

Params update:

Temp: 26.4/79.5

SG: 1.025

pH: 8.2

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: <5

Phosphate: 0 (think there might have been a trace before as I'm sure its a paler colour now)

KH: 9

Calcium: 420

Quite happy with the params. Thought the calcium might have been lower with me only changing 2 gal/week (8%) but it seems to be holding despite the coraline growth.

New hammerhead - clown showing interest??? ooooooeeeee

100_1760.jpg

Doesnt these ones look like something rude? Or is it just my filthy mind?

100_1764.jpg

100_1765.jpg

It's looking much happier than when I first put it in...more perky lol

LOLOLOLOLOL

8========================D

Sexy Shrimp

Ha ha! Made you look! Haven't really. Still only the 3 fish... Thinking about 1 more sand sifting type but after the chalk goby disappearing I'm a bit scared...Would love a few sexy shrimps too-are they OK with cleaner shrimps?

Archived