Cultivated Reef

Nano Diary - running total £1547.83! - newbies stop now!

Sexy Shrimp

1/2/08

SG - 1.022

pH - 7.8

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate 5

Phospate - 1 (good rowaphos!!)

2/2/08

SG - 1.022

pH - 8 (still don't trust it!)

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate 5

Phospate - 1

Note-Must try and get the SG up slowly

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was looking at the tank with just the moonlights on last night and saw something big and odd.When I turned the lights on it was a huge star fish!! Looked like a brittle star but the arms were much thicker and it was stripy! Must have been 5-6 inches across! It was gone before I could get my camera... Guess what I am going to be doing tonight after the lights go out???

Was a bit upset with not getting much free stuff but I think a massive starfish (that has survived cycling) and a green porites is pretty good...

Hehe, that's one of the best parts of a reef tank, seeing stuff you never knew was there :)

4/2/08

SG - 1.024

pH - 8.2 (consistent...)

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - <5 (denitrifying bacteria doing their job :) )

Phospate - 0.5

Wish my pH meter would hurry up and arrive!

Update on other stuff:

- Not seen the starfish since. Moral of the story - always have your camera next to your tank ;)

- Millions of pods over the rock, sand, in the water and on the glass! Out all of the day too; not just after lights out. Will have to add something to eat them soon ;)

- A lot of the algae has gone now as the cleanup crew are doing their magic.

- Cleanup crew don't like the lights...Spend most of the day behind the rockwork and only come out after dark. This is new to me...

Semi-cleaned rock

00001.jpg

00002.jpg

OK today's update:

All Diatoms and algae have gone! Wooo for patience!

SG - 1.025

pH - 8.2

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - <5

Phosphate - 0

Last night I saw all 8 of my CUC so no deaths.

Today I have added a few softies:

Pink finger leather

Pulsing Xenia

Small leather toadstool

I was cheeky and asked the LFS guy if I could have any scraps so also got a few frags free

3 frags of Green Zoas (4 heads,3 heads and 5 heads)

1 frag of orange Zoas (8 heads)

Metalic green star polyps (1 inch by half inch piece

Very happy with my freebies

Here's a few pics:

00008.jpg

00002-1.jpg

6/2/08

SG - 1.025

pH - 8.2

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - <5

Phosphate - 0

Xenia pulsing. Finger coral and metallic green star polyps are out. Leather looking a bit fed up - covered in slime and only got a few pimply bits showing. Hopefully will recover in a couple of days...

Cheers for the link buddy - where did you get your skimmer from then? I like the look of the 24 gallon D&D nano cube the best of all the nano tanks - plus the cabinet is useful.

You've given me the info. I need - I think the ORCA tanks (even the new one) lacks lighting - the RESUN and the new Interpet ones are possibilities - but the nano cube is tried and tested for some years now but they come without a skimmer (the lastet one goes with one) so keen to add one.

Thanks

Try ebay. I was gutted when I paid £35 and could get one for £15 inc P&P off ebay... Would be even cheaper if you're in the US.

It is a lovely tank! The metal bars at the side of the cabinet mean you can grab and pull it about which is difficult with a normal stand...

Upgraded the standard pump to a 500l/h one (couldn't go better than that as they were all too big...).

Debating ordering a wave maker that is 3000 l/h but not sure if this would be too much. Here's the link if anyone wishes to comment ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...cTODAY.m238.lVI

Thanks.

So I assume the JAD is a re-badged BOYU skimmer - this a pin-wheel type skimmer then - seem to fit well in the unit -see what you mean about the price though - sweet!

You sure a maxi-jet powerhead will not fit ??? these are generally the ones used in nanos I believe and from past experience with them very reliable.

Thanks again, very helpful.

Chris

US/Canadian T5HO

FM_ultrasolaris.jpg

UK Compact T5

lighting.gif

U can't get the other type here for a nano.Smallest size 24"

I don't think the term "T5" has anything to do with what type of lighting it is but refers to the tube size of the bulb. CF and standard florescent bulbs both come in T5 tube size as well as many other sizes.

7/2/08

SG - 1.025

pH - 8.2

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - <5

Phosphate - 0

KH - 12

KH is still 12 and pH has come up so its doing its buffering job...

Been to LFS again and have bought the following:

Pink leather coral like this:

leather.gif

It has two heads so I can frag it into 2 as it grows. Cost - £10

Rock of green/blue common mushrooms - £10

Single, unattached, bright green, large hairy mushroom - free cause I asked for it lol

Frozen, spirulina enriched, mysis shrimp (ready for when needed) - £2.99

KoralFluid (marine plankton with vitamins) - £7.99

Running total - 659.95 (not including food)

Yup think so...It's my BDay on 2nd March so asked for LFS vouchers lol

Some pics and vids

Xenia pulsing vid (10s)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=12035440780

Stupid upsidedown turbo vid - checkout the Matrix sound accompaniment. Was a complete coincidence!!! (30s)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=12260835780

Finger leather

00008.jpg

Xenia

00002-1.jpg

Not so healthy toadstool leather

00001-2.jpg

Where the hermits have been nibbling the bottom

00008a.jpg

Advice appreciated on the unhealthy looking toadstool...

Well all parameters fine and dandy for 3 weeks(ish) so I have added my first fish. Sold as a pair and they do seem to be getting on... They are too small yet for me to tell if they are really are true percs or oscellaris (they were sold as Percs).

New arrivals still in the bag

NewAddtions.jpg

Settling in

SettlingIn.jpg

Closeup. Count the spines?

ClownPair.jpg

Who's going to be the girl?

WhosTheGirl.jpg

Tank shot

tank3.jpg

Those percs are cute.

I can see the pics fine, although some of the pics of xenia and leather are a little blurry.

Not sure what to tell you on the leather, although it caught my attention cause BibleSue had an Emerald Crab that was kinda doing the same thing.

Those percs are cute.

I can see the pics fine, although some of the pics of xenia and leather are a little blurry.

Not sure what to tell you on the leather, although it caught my attention cause BibleSue had an Emerald Crab that was kinda doing the same thing.

Cute fish man, keep up the good work! Looks like we started our tanks around the same time :)

Just some pics this time. I have added a cleaner shrimp and some Nassarius snails. The snails burrowed straight away and the shrimp went into hiding. Shed its skin overnight too so not expecting to see it for a few days...

post-34033-1203032377_thumb.jpg

post-34033-1203032526_thumb.jpg

post-34033-1203032608_thumb.jpg

post-34033-1203032685_thumb.jpg

post-34033-1203032752_thumb.jpg

post-34033-1203032813_thumb.jpg

I cant see the ones on photobucket unfortunately so using the uploader grrr.

I am a girl :) Here's me:

And some frags :~

post-34033-1203033283_thumb.jpg

post-34033-1203033440.jpg

How long have you had the toadstool in your tank? I have had some experience with toadstools, and some choose to look poor for weeks even. It may just take a while. Just look for signs of necrosis, as long as there is none I'm sure it will come to eventually.

Archived