ReefCleaners.org

Adrift's 20 High

AdriftQuasar

squirrelieygrrrl

hey AQ

long time no see. i just skimmed through the 4 pages i missed while i was gone. still been doing some thread reading catching up stuff (yikes redundant). lol.

your tank looks amazing!!!!!! wow. im very impressed. nice to see that all your hard work and hard earned cash really paid off. i havnt had near that amount of growth in mine for some reason. keep up the good work!

hope all is well

~squirrel

• 2 months later...
AdriftQuasar
Wow, that looks awesome!

Thanks! You're 20H was actually a huge inspsiration to me. Between your 20H, and Tashayar's 10, I became really intrigued by the idea of natural filtration. My filtration is the two K1's and the life in the tank. I often think about retrofitting the tank with more equipment like a skimmer and some other filtration, but I don't see the point in changing something that has been working so well for me.

I still want a sexy camera like yours.

Another picture I need to add is this huge sponge that has pretty much popped up out of nothing. It's kind of a purple-gray color.

That's great, I'm glad the natural filtration is working so well for you. :happy:

I have a few pretty sponges growing in my 40br also, including one pink one that probably stretches around 6 inches in length under a rock.

AdriftQuasar

I'm continuously amazed at the new life that shows up even after nearly two and a half years of running.

My favorite reefing quote ever is definately "Less techonology, more biology." Thanks John Tullock!

AdriftQuasar

Some long-overdue testing today.

My pH is typically around 7.8, which I am not too concerned about.

My dKH tested at 6 and calcium at 340. That's what happens when you don't test and don't keep up on water changes. Nothing looks to be suffering though. TDS from the RO/DI is testing at 1-8 depending on what the meter feels like telling me.

I plan to by a Mg and Sr test kit soon and then some manner of Sr supplement should I need it. Friend of my father's is planning on helping me build a new stand and canopy at some point in the near future, so I have that to look forward to. The help and instruction of a finish carpenter is always nice to have. I would probably buy a new 20H to replace the current one (which is older than I am, and I'm 21). I would like to have a tank without scratches. After that, I will probably invest in either an MP10 or MP20. Probably the MP10 though. I don't want to upgrade to a larger tank until I have moved out of my parent's house. A pico may be in the works though (or my return to keeping crested geckos).

• 3 months later...

Just did some fragging for the first time ever. Water is pretty cloudy at the moment, but I will be posting some pictures of the results soon.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with my frags.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
AdriftQuasar

So, my MH burned out and my mom bought be two Aquaticlice Dual T5 fixtures to link together. Best. Mom. Evar!

Will certainly be chaning the bulbs out to get a better color, I just don't know when. I want to be sure this lighting is suffiecient for my tank before I go buying new bulbs. Anyway, ignore the algae and such, my CUC reinforcements have yet to arrive.

Also, this is my three year update. Happy Birthday 20h!

IMGP0483.jpg

IMGP0480.jpg

IMGP0479.jpg

IMGP0478.jpg

IMGP0475.jpg

IMGP0474.jpg

IMGP0473.jpg

IMGP0472.jpg

IMGP0471.jpg

IMGP0470.jpg

IMGP0469.jpg

IMGP0468.jpg

IMGP0467.jpg

IMGP0477.jpg

AdriftQuasar
Wow, I love tanks that give their frags time to mature into a colony. Just looks so much better. spare some gsp? :flower:

Thanks for the compliments. I wish I could say I planned to have such a small variety of corals, but it's more of a matter of not having much money. Though I have certainly been satisfied with the amount of growth I have gotten since I started. I have actually done some pretty considerable amounts of fragging in the recent months too and the tank is already on the verge of being overgrown again.

Great tank... T5's rule.

LOVE that neon leather toadstool.. I really need one of those...

Love the SPS too. Great stuff..

Thanks! The neon toadstool is easily one of my favorite corals ever though in the future I probably will not be mixing hard and leather corals together. I absolutely love the few pieces of SPS I have, when I upgrade to a 60 gallon cube this summer, I will be certainly adding more. I have still been considering removing some softies, but I like the way things move in the flow more than I like the look of some of the hard corals. When the polyp extension is good, they tend to move in the flow too. More lps is certainly in the future for me.

• 2 years later...

Been a long time since I've updated, here are some pictures:

iYcb30W.jpg

jdQglIH.jpg

xhcFtvy.jpg

3isp59I.jpg

b8C4lHU.jpg

It's coming up on six years old. It's not as good as it used to look, but I feel like it's time for a come back.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Been a little bit, but don't call this a comeback, I've been around for years. This tank has had a lot of ups and downs, but has been receiving a lot of love over the past few months and is doing really well. The toadstool is dropping off frags all of the time and things are growing nicely. Lighting is still 4x24 watt led's. Running an mp10 and an aquaclear with a mediabasket and an overflow thingy. Have just been using filter floss, but recently added some chemipure elite and some purigen to help keep things a little cleaner.

I plan to try to fill up the real estate that's left in this tank so I can justify upgrading after almost a decade of being in the hobby. Luckily, my wife thinks it's pretty cool and has been helping out and even paying for corals she likes the looks of. Expect more updates. I'm planning on being pretty engaged in the hobby again and am really looking forward to being active in this great community again.

FTS

AKeuukT.jpg

Hammer Coral

myLFtex.jpg

Rastas

IOXEEQP.jpg

Mushrooms

72peXGD.jpg

Toadstool Frag

dUwq5iz.jpg

More mushrooms

599hqly.jpg

Still more mushies

e8lG2c7.jpg

Captain America, apparently

6KrDPNA.jpg

Got this milli last night

QbKRZCZ.jpg

Right side of the tank

wVJaGWr.jpg

Trumpet

rGnZCM6.jpg

Trying to capture how cool the monti can look

B92Lz0O.jpg

gX6KaQE.jpg

Shot of monti growing on back wall, ruined by clown

o2psyXD.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
AdriftQuasar

Made some new additions today :D

Floatin' bags

XRq3XM7.jpg

Favia

tdb1p5s.jpg

Wanted an acan for so long, finally have one

3jpCjB4.jpg

some new zoas

4v91aVx.jpg

new mushroom for the collection

GVrGPZD.jpg

reintroduced GSP, hope I don't regret it later

O3ycsoS.jpg

Some bright orange zoas and another mushroom

uxgRjME.jpg

The current state of things

aRfFqVQ.jpg

Planning on clearing a lot of the frags out of the bottom right of the tank to make room for some new stuff. I'm thinking a nice fungia. Wife is wanting to use some of the tax refund to get some LEDs over the tank because she loves the way they make corals pop at the LFS. B) I married the right woman for sure. :wub:

Leaning towards the nanobox duo so I could also use it in an eventual upgrade to something like a Fusion 40. Been considering adding another powerhead opposite the mp10. Just feel like maybe I need a little more. Also been eyeballing the Aquamaxx HOB-1 protein skimmer. Thoughts on lights and equipment?

Lastly, talked to a buddy about building an aquarium stand. He does a lot of great carpentry work on commission, so I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

• Like 1