Innovative Marine Aquariums

Adrift's 20 High

AdriftQuasar

Thanks! The brain has become a new favorite of mine. I have really underestimated just how awesome stony corals are in the past, I won't be making that mistake again.

As a result of dissatisfaction with my tank, I'm thinking I'm going to be moving everything into a nice AIO set up. I don't know what yet, but I'm going to make it a point to use only premium equipment. Still a ways off though. Bills, I has them.

As a result of dissatisfaction with my tank, I'm thinking I'm going to be moving everything into a nice AIO set up. I don't know what yet, but I'm going to make it a point to use only premium equipment. Still a ways off though. Bills, I has them.

I definitely hear you on "BILLS". Especially around this time of the year is the time for giving and recieving. So just wait til next year to buy your AIO tank (RSM*) and by the time you know it, most of your live rock will be covered in more purple and will be ready to transfer in no time!!!

• 3 months later...
AdriftQuasar

Oddly enough, the cheap Pentax my parents bought me for my two years clean and sober takes better pictures of the tank than what their nice canon does.

I have neglected the tank for a little while. My brain was eaten by my peppermint shrimp and my plate gets nibbled from time to time. I need to figure out how to keep the little buggers fed better. I bought a DIY ATO kit from bulkreefsupply.com along with their two part kit. Just need and extension chord and a pump then we're in the ATO business.

AdriftQuasar

I've been thinking about removing the GSP and all the Kenya trees I can pull out. Maybe get a little store credit. I would really like to add more SPS or LPS to the tank, but I fear more LPS getting chewed up. Either way, I need to create some space.

AdriftQuasar

So I ordered an aquahub DIY ATO the other day and I got it all assembled and wired up. Biggest PITA I have ever dealt with. I think my future in reefing sees me giving up any attempt at saving money by DIY and just forking out the cash for pre-built stuff that works the way it's damn-well supposed to.

To make today suck even more, the paintball mask I ordered doesn't fit my face properly so I have to send that back. I think I might light something on fire to make myself feel better.

• 1 month later...
AdriftQuasar

I've been really amazed at how quickly the SPS has been growing (and everything else for that matter). I think I'm going to do some pruning on most of my soft corals the green star polyps and leathers in particular. Maye donate some frags and do a bit of selling. Or use one of the empty 10 gallons or the picotope as a softie garden. The broken bits of montipora on the sandbed surviving and actually growing are pretty cool too.

Looking at things though, I really like the way this aquarium has turned out and love everything I have learned in the process. The more I think about it, the more satisfied I feel with my first attempt at reefing. I don't think I am going to change anything. Just let things grow out and save my time, money, and energy up for something bigger and better.

I am really grateful for everyone and the collected knowledge here on NR, it's been a huge source of inspiration and information. Thanks everyone.

I hope my next step in reefing goes as well and proves to be as enlightening as the first.

• 1 month later...
nanoreef11
BEFORE

IMGP0389.jpg

AFTER

IMGP0390.jpg

IMGP0391.jpg

Wow!!! The colors sure pop in the after pics. How do you like the new bulb? More blue that's for sure.

AdriftQuasar

I love the blue! I'm glad I decided to try a 14k before I went straight to 20k. Though I still might give it a try the next time I'm due to replace it.

nanoreef11
I love the blue! I'm glad I decided to try a 14k before I went straight to 20k. Though I still might give it a try the next time I'm due to replace it.

Yea I have always liked the 14k but the 20k does give some wicked colors.

did you like the reeflux? how was growth?

i like the colors in the pic actually more than the phoenix. Would be great with actinics.

nice tank too!

AdriftQuasar

As far as growth goes under a 12k Reeflux:

IMG_0413.jpg

to

IMGP0387.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMGP0205.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMGP0385.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMGP0380.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMGP0130.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMGP0386.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMGP0383.jpg

*The MH was added last July and the corals last November

Edited by AdriftQuasar

I also like the pics with the 12K reflux more than the 14K, but I'm thinking it may be a camera color balance that prevents better pics with the 14K. There are some major color shifts in the "after" pics to the green side of the spectrum, which means most likely that you just need to tweak the camera a little and I'm sure what we'll see is incredible. Probably a lot of phosphorescent color pop...yes? :)