Top Shelf Aquatics

25G ADA TANK 18X18X18" RIMLESS CUBE

PurpleUP

Geez that OME is bright. I have a Cornbred Mummy Eye (1/2 fingernail size frag) that looks similar in brightness...I'll have to see if I can capture it justifiably (if that's a word) on camera and show you.

What camcorder are you using anyways? I might have to try my Canon camcorder out since my Canon point-shoot doesn't take pictures of anything in my tank all that well.

Sounds like a killer trading opportunity to me!!! I hear the super bright MEs are also super slow growers. Maybe in 6mos we can do an eye for an eye? Let me see pics. Post em in our fabulous Chalice thread. LOL

The camcorder is a JVC Everio GZ-MG505 w/ 3CCD technology (whatever that is). It's only 5 Mega Pixels. Nice little camera. Takes good video too. hehe.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought some custom cut Black Starboard on eBay. 23.125" X 17.125". Impressive, they cut it to my exact specs too. Also ordered a neoprene mat 24 x 18" to fit the exact footprint of the new ADA I'm picking up >>> 24 X 18 X 18". Since the tank is only changing by 6" in depth, I'll keep growing this thread. Maybe I'll change the title. Hehe

I'll be ordering some black egg crate to convert my existing ADA cube into a frag tank. Got this layout concept in my head that I wanna try out. It'll be drilled (finally) and plumbed into the system. Will be needing a new pendant/ballast setup for it. I'll likely run a 150W 10K off some good reflectors. Need more flow as well. Vortechs perhaps.

This is sounding more like an add-on than an upgrade, cuz I need to buy quite more than just a tank.

(I should have just bought the My Miami frag instead. Would've been cheaper. LOL)

I bought some custom cut Black Starboard on eBay. 23.125" X 17.125". Impressive, they cut it to my exact specs too.

Did you get it from the guy I told you about? Did you get your new tank in already? Did I miss that in the thread somewhere?

Did you get it from the guy I told you about? Did you get your new tank in already? Did I miss that in the thread somewhere?

I believe I did, and thanks for the recommendation! No, didn't pick up the tank yet. Wanted to get the other stuff ready first, so I wouldn't be staring at an empty tank. haha. Looking for an instant upgrade when I finally do pick it up. I was chatting with Sam. He said people silicone the board to the bottom to prevent nutrient build up underneath. Did you do that to yours?

ya purp...them lumen bright reflectors are the shizz!

my boy had a lumen bright 250 and his old pos reflector 250....when he flipped 'em both on, the difference was ridiculous!

:D

nice upgrade.

Nope...and the last time I did a complete clean-up on my tank, I didn't see any stuff being built up underneath it either. The only place it sorta builds up is the cracks between the starboard and glass...I had mine cut ~1/4" shorter all around so I wouldn't be scraping the silicones in the corner when I placed it down in the tank. Mine sits flush from the weight of the rocks. I think you'll like it a lot. If you do get algae on it, it's so easy to just scrap it off...just like the glass and the rocks stick to it really nice...no slippin' or sliding.

I didn't want to silicone mine just in case I decide to sell this tank when I upgrade in the future, plus I can take it out and add sand in the future if I decide to go with sand again. It just leaves room for flexibility & other options in the future if I didn't silicone it down.

Do you mind sharing who the seller is on Ebay? May look into using this material for a future tank.

Thanks Randy. I'll definitely be going with this material on my next tank (which I'm not planning quite yet). Can't wait to see your new tank and what you start propping in the old one. With your current coral and husbandry, it's going to be fantastic.

Oregon Mummy Eye

092909_oregon.jpg

Still waiting for him to puff up. Notice the bit of exposed skeleton on the left.

Sorry to keep putting this guy in the limelight! But he's fully acclimated to his new environment now. Had me a little worried at first. Anyone else got an entire colony of this one? If so, I'd like to see it!!!

100109_oregon.jpg

Thanks Randy. I'll definitely be going with this material on my next tank (which I'm not planning quite yet). Can't wait to see your new tank and what you start propping in the old one. With your current coral and husbandry, it's going to be fantastic.

Thanks for the compliment, Adam. Problem is, the new tank will be fully stocked once I get it! That's why it's only temporary. Once I convert this cube into a presentable frag tank though, I'll be able to stock more goodies.

I can't even begin to think what this will look like as a frag tank?

Haha. We'll see. I got this new egg crate concept I want to try out. It's probably been done before but it'll be new to me. One step at at a time though. Need to make time to pick up the new ADA.

So I lost a Miami Hurricane frag today. I think I may have gotten glue on its flesh. It'll be a day of mourning. :tears:

So I lost a Miami Hurricane frag today. I think I may have gotten glue on its flesh. It'll be a day of mourning. :tears:

Well crap Randy, sorry to hear that you lost your Hurricane frag. :rant: It always stinks losing a prized frag. I'm sure someone locally can hook you up with another piece though...you are getting to be quite the Chalice king so I'm sure you have some bargaining pieces ;)

Well crap Randy, sorry to hear that you lost your Hurricane frag. :rant: It always stinks losing a prized frag. I'm sure someone locally can hook you up with another piece though...you are getting to be quite the Chalice king so I'm sure you have some bargaining pieces ;)

Good news is that it was only a 1/2" frag. I still have my little colony with about 10+ eyes on it :) I can't believe how many times I've fragged/traded/sold this piece. I'm certainly not the chalice king, but maybe a chalice entrepreneur. lol

I've got some really cool trades pending. Stay tuned...

Randy - Think you can shoot me a PM on Red bugs. I have them. I'm not to worried but I know you have had them and you have a smaller tank :)

Thanks is advance!

-dave

What's crackin' Randy? Have you picked up any more gems lately? How are things coming with the "new" tank?

After you move out of the current tank, just go ahead and empty it, clean it up, dry it off, pack it up, and ship my way :) Kidding off course, wish I lived closer.

Hope all is well with you and your slice of the reef.

Randy - Think you can shoot me a PM on Red bugs. I have them. I'm not to worried but I know you have had them and you have a smaller tank :)

Thanks is advance!

-dave

Help is on the way. PM sent!

What's crackin' Randy? Have you picked up any more gems lately? How are things coming with the "new" tank?

After you move out of the current tank, just go ahead and empty it, clean it up, dry it off, pack it up, and ship my way :) Kidding off course, wish I lived closer.

Hope all is well with you and your slice of the reef.

Man, I've been busy in the real world lately. New acquisitions haven't been a priority but maintenance is on point :) Have some trades pending but we haven't shipped out yet. Tank's goin real well and the Oregon Mummy Eye is already showing some growth. I was expecting that one to be a SLOW grower, but it looks like it could be the opposite. Or a normal grower at least.

Got the black starboard. Wont' know how it fits until I get the new ADA though. Might be picking up a Vortech this week. Don't know if it'll be an MP10 or MP20 or BOTH.

Haha. I got plans for the old ADA cube anyway. Need a cool yet efficient frag system. I think it shall serve that purpose.

pictuarz of teh main tank plz ;)

Best wishes! :D

Here you go, Nate

FTS

101009_fts1.jpg

Finally caved in and relocated my birdsnest to the frag bin. That new reflective white rock is now taking its place. I mounted 3 encrusting montis and 3 acros on it already. There's another spot left for a Mystic Sunset monti comin from fishes4alivin.

room for zoas, wheres that bowerbanki going to go lol!?

Tank is looking healthy, when are you planning the transfer upgrade?

room for zoas, wheres that bowerbanki going to go lol!?

Tank is looking healthy, when are you planning the transfer upgrade?

Wassup Kyle. I've been thinking about that, and believe it or not, I got a spot for it!

Upgrade? Yeah. See that's the thing. Turns out I may be moving to San Diego 1 year before I anticipated. So until I know for sure, I'm gonna need to make this little space work. Definitely NOT buying anymore corals in the near term. I've got pending trades to worry about enough as it is. Oh, one of my racks should be completely cleared off when I ship off your stuff. Problem solved. LOL

I believe I'm getting a Vortech now though. All that I would need after that is the tank itself and the upgrade would be complete - the temp upgrade anyhow.

Here you go, Nate

FTS

101009_fts1.jpg

Finally caved in and relocated my birdsnest to the frag bin. That new reflective white rock is now taking its place. I mounted 3 encrusting montis and 3 acros on it already. There's another spot left for a Mystic Sunset monti comin from fishes4alivin.

COMPLETE AWESOMENESS. :D

wish you could go to the swap thoo :(

Best Wishes! :D

Archived