Coral Vue Hydros

25G ADA TANK 18X18X18" RIMLESS CUBE

PurpleUP

nice tank purp.....

those frags are doin' well....grape is po'd like u said it would be.

Thanks, Pismo! Yeah, the grape will stay purple under the right lighting conditions. Didn't do well for me under a 250W 20K spectrum or 150W 14K. 250W 14K seems to do the trick though :)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the time you're ready to set this guy up in 2 weeks or so, you'll need to upgrade again already. Can you tell the difference between the new tank and your ADA in quality and what not? Give us a brief review.

By the time you're ready to set this guy up in 2 weeks or so, you'll need to upgrade again already. Can you tell the difference between the new tank and your ADA in quality and what not? Give us a brief review.

You know my situation all too well. As soon as I set it up, it will be fully stocked. And so, I'll begin working on the 25G ADA frag tank immediately thereafter.

Comparisons? There are more likenesses to an ADA than differences. Beveled glass is EXACTLY the same. Clarity is the same. Precision of cut glass is the same. Alignment of glass is the same. Mr. Aqua uses 5mm glass for this tank vs 4mm for my 25G ADA, but the larger ADA tanks might use 5mm too. *ADA has options for "high clarity" glass though. And the silicone work is slightly different. ADA is slightly cleaner, where they trim the excess edges down to .75mm. In comparison, Mr. Aqua's silicone thickness is between 1-1.25mm I think. But the glue lines are very clean and straight, just like an ADA. There were minor glue smudges at the top corners of the Mr. Aqua, but this was easily cleaned up with a blade. Overall, this tank is a much cheaper alternative to an ADA, so long as you are happy with the limited dimensions that Mr. Aqua presently offers.

When I first opened the box, I was prepared to be unsatisfied with the craftsmanship. But I was shocked at what I saw when I lifted the styro lid from the top. In appearance, I give it a 7.5 (maybe 8) out of 10, versus a 10 of 10 for ADA. As far as strength and durability, it's too early to tell, but it's been filled with tap water for 2 days now with no leaks.

Would you be able to tell the difference if you had them both side by side (not considering the dimensions of course)? I'm just anal about cosmetics...and is considering all options for future upgrades...hence my noisy questions.

Would you be able to tell the difference if you had them both side by side (not considering the dimensions of course)? I'm just anal about cosmetics...and is considering all options for future upgrades...hence my noisy questions.

Np, ask away. ADA owners would see the difference in silicone work, but if I slapped an ADA sticker on the front, no one would question it. LOL

It's clean enough that if you stuck an ADA sticker on the front that no one would notice the difference huh? Hmm...interesting...you've got my attention now on these tanks.

By the way, the Luman Bright 3 DE pendant is bright as heck...it doubles as my diningroom light now. Haha! I might still end up buying a Lumentek ballast though...the IceCap isn't burning my Phoenix bulb blue enough.

It's clean enough that if you stuck an ADA sticker on the front that no one would notice the difference huh? Hmm...interesting...you've got my attention now on these tanks.

By the way, the Luman Bright 3 DE pendant is bright as heck...it doubles as my diningroom light now. Haha! I might still end up buying a Lumentek ballast though...the IceCap isn't burning my Phoenix bulb blue enough.

Still too early say that I'd be comfortable recommending these tanks, but they could be worth looking into.

What makes you think the Lumatek would burn your bulb brighter than the IceCap?

Not looking for brighter but bluer...I like the blue tint it put off during the burn-in stage but once the bulb got past that, it's been burning whiter than I'd like it to. Heard that the Galaxy ballast burns the Phoenix bulbs bluer than the IceCaps too...how's your Lumentek ballast with the Phoenix bulb?

Not looking for brighter but bluer...I like the blue tint it put off during the burn-in stage but once the bulb got past that, it's been burning whiter than I'd like it to. Heard that the Galaxy ballast burns the Phoenix bulbs bluer than the IceCaps too...how's your Lumentek ballast with the Phoenix bulb?

My 250/14 is burning a crisp bluish white, which is definitely more on the whiter side compared to a 150W 14K. But to you it could look more blue. LOL. I definitely like the color temp it puts out, but it may be too early to tell if I like the color it's getting out of my SPS. Some are definitely more vibrant in color after the switch, but others are not as vibrant. There was that 1.5 to 2wk period I ran my tank under an inadequate Phoenix 150W/14K though, while waiting for this new replacement bulb to arrive. I'd be curious to hear your opinion if you decide to get a Lumatek.

I've decided to drill the new tank. Bought a simple overflow box from glass-holes.com. Nice thing about this product is not having to glue it to the glass.

post-27594-1255794797_thumb.jpg

Wow Randy. Just getting back in town and getting a chance to catch up on my favs.

The new favia and bowerbanki look amazing....looking forward to seeing a wide angle shot of the bowerbanki for sure.

The Mr. Aqua tank looks fantastic. Just from the pictures, and your description, it sounds like the craftmanship and care to detail is pretty top-notch. I have been looking at these tanks and wondered about the overall build quality. I think I would have had the same feelings opening the box wondering if I would be disappointed...glad to hear you weren't.

I'm interested to hear and see how the glass-holes overflow works. I'll definitely be going with a sump on my next tank as not having one really limits how clean the display can be and what sort of skimmer/equipment you can add.

Keep up the good work....looking forward to seeing how the tank looks with the black starboard.

-Adam

Thanks for the encouragement, Adam! Hopefully, the upgrade goes smoothly. In the meantime, here are the LAST pics you'll see of the ADA...

102009_fts2.jpg

In case you were wondering what happened to the chalices, well, they're in the BACK! Not for long though, they'll soon be front row center :)

102009_fts.jpg

I know I said the last shots would be the last, but I was feeling a little sentimental about upgrading the ADA :tears: . So I snapped a few pics for the memories...

102109_blue.jpg

102109_acro2.jpg

102109_joe.jpg

102109_milli.jpg

102109_shades.jpg

102109_undata1.jpg

102109_fts.jpg

Youre next set up will be a blast, cant wait to see how everything turns out, and best of luck with transferring everything! I really wouldnt want to see anything lost, its all so very beautiful. Those are the nicest acros I have ever seen, itll be tough for you to grow them out lol.

SO UPSET. Woke up to disgusting mush floating in the water. Overnight, a turbo snail knocked the Flying Saucer Chalice onto the nearby Victoria's Secret Chalice. The Flying Saucer lost the battle and Victoria's Secret came out unscathed. More than half of the chalice will be lost for sure. It grew out beautifully to 7 eyes. Needless to say, it ain't beautiful no more. I'm SO PISSED :angry:

SO UPSET. Woke up to disgusting mush floating in the water. Overnight, a turbo snail knocked the Flying Saucer Chalice onto the nearby Victoria's Secret Chalice. The Flying Saucer lost the battle and Victoria's Secret came out unscathed. More than half of the chalice will be lost for sure. It grew out beautifully to 7 eyes. Needless to say, it ain't beautiful no more. I'm SO PISSED :angry:

Great tank, sorry to hear about the loss! I guess it only encourages you to get moving on the upgrade

Oh crap, that sucks. Looking on the bright side at least the Flying Saucer isn't completely lost. Hopefully, its one of the faster growers

Noooo Randy, thats terrible! I hate turbo snails >:(

It is really cool that you were able to save it though, +1 to insentive for the upgrade!

Thanks for the condolences. lol. Looks like I was able to get it to stop spewing out flesh, and hopefully this begins the healing process. DAMN!@#! This was without a doubt, my absolute favorite chalice. SO PISSED! I was 2 seconds from throwing the Victoria's Secret into the toilet, before my wife stopped me in the act. She's such a person of good nature, and I love her for it (while I am more of the vengeful type).

As always with my thread, I document the good AND THE BAD.

1 hour after the battle was lost. Not the prettiest sight, but only 1 hour earlier it was nothing but slimy mush.

102809_saucer.jpg

Today, it appears that it's already begun fleshing over the exposed skeleton. Looks like the 2 eyes towards the front *might* also make it through alive.

102909_saucer.jpg

Didn't we all warn you about the lack of space in your tank and to send some of it everyone's way to free up some space? ;)

Anyways, that's a bummer man...glad to see it's starting to recover already. Hopefully it makes it. So far it looks promising.

Archived