Pod Your Reef

My 15g tank(only fish)

FishNemo

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nlucianos You have to admit the tank in post 225 is pretty nice. I only see a damsel and a firefish granted it is only a little over 5 gallons. For his other tanks he is definately doing the unaccepted as far as stocking, but I think it has been pointed out enough.

fraggle rockette

okay, after 12 pages and 30 minutes of reading, questions nemo:

1. what is a mavin?

2. how is the clam?

3. CAN WE PLEASE GET A FULL PICTURE/PHOTOGRAPH/KODAK MOMENT/SNAPSHOT/VISUAL REPLICA/IMAGE OF YOUR TANK PLEASE??? a new one, a nice one, a full one. thanks! :)

For his other tanks he is definately doing the unaccepted as far as stocking, but I think it has been pointed out enough.

More than enough! Nice point, spanko.

Nemo, I went to China earlier this year and it was a beautiful country, and I saw many beautiful aquariums there. We went to adopt my daughter from Guangdong province.One thing I noted was that the way of doing things was very different from here, but the Chinese definitely knew what they were doing--though we Americans would not have approved. I keep Goldfish in a 125G tank and I loved all the beautiful Goldfish displays there--in aquariums no American would think of using. Alot of what you're saying makes sense to me--I see how you keep NO3 low with lots of flow and changing "cotton" regularly. That's an interesting approach I've never seen in America.One question though, are you using this tank to grow those larger fishes until you place them in a larger tank?

dude make your goldfish tank a saltwater tank, move your saltwater fish there, and put your goldfish in the smaller tank. no brainer dude
Wrong answer, I'm a goldfish keeper and the rule of thumb for goldies is 10-20 gallons per fish. I break the rule because I use an algae scrubbing "refugium" to keep nitrates low.
my smallest marine tank. 20L in 2004.also use simple fliter.

U05JPID63E_204_500_320.jpg

NAVMEZBV7N_204_500_320.jpg

EMUK6W2DYI_204_500_320.jpg

this 5g tank is a coral tank with simple fliter. I can't clean the cotton so that all the excreta from fish and corals could not be given out of the tank. And coral also need the water with few NO3. So I could raise only two small fish.

*yawn

honestly, i think a lot of people are faking indignation as simply another way to crap up this thread. for those who feel so strongly but do not have the net acumen to realize that their gripe belongs in the feedback section and not in someone's tank thread, go here.

however, i beg to differ. almost immediately after the first post, people have called the OP every negative name under the sun, some have even said they wanted to carry out violent acts against him. this apparently is acceptable, even to the loser griping about my use of the word "retard".

that's retarded.

i do NOT agree with the OP's husbandry methods at all, but considering the guy lives in a borderlilne 3rd world country with historically questionable norms about animal treatment, i don't think it's constructive at all to berate him the way people have.

but so many seem to think it's ok.

that's retarded.

if people have a problem with my moderation, really because they simply want freedom to verbally abuse innocent first posters about their husbandry, then...

that's retarded too.

in all, it is, in a word, "retarded" behavior by... ok, i'll play along, what i guess we'll call "mentally handicapped" posters. i'd love to see them reply "i want to hit you" to anyone on other reef sites and see how far they get with that approach.

apparently people want the freedom to verbally abuse, but immunity from verbal abuse for themselves.

that is... retarded.

AND FINALLY, FOR REAL.

ANY MORE ABUSE OF THE ORIGINAL POSTER WILL RESULT IN A BAN IMMEDIATELY... well actually, as soon as i get around to it. and any complaints or compliments about this post can go to thread linked above.

YOu guys just got PWNED!

Danielle

*yawn

honestly, i think a lot of people are faking indignation as simply another way to crap up this thread. for those who feel so strongly but do not have the net acumen to realize that their gripe belongs in the feedback section and not in someone's tank thread, go here.

however, i beg to differ. almost immediately after the first post, people have called the OP every negative name under the sun, some have even said they wanted to carry out violent acts against him. this apparently is acceptable, even to the loser griping about my use of the word "retard".

that's retarded.

i do NOT agree with the OP's husbandry methods at all, but considering the guy lives in a borderlilne 3rd world country with historically questionable norms about animal treatment, i don't think it's constructive at all to berate him the way people have.

but so many seem to think it's ok.

that's retarded.

if people have a problem with my moderation, really because they simply want freedom to verbally abuse innocent first posters about their husbandry, then...

that's retarded too.

in all, it is, in a word, "retarded" behavior by... ok, i'll play along, what i guess we'll call "mentally handicapped" posters. i'd love to see them reply "i want to hit you" to anyone on other reef sites and see how far they get with that approach.

apparently people want the freedom to verbally abuse, but immunity from verbal abuse for themselves.

that is... retarded.

I find I make a mistake. the tank (700*300*450,400 water high) is 84L in all. If 1 gallon=3.7 L, the tank is about 23g.

Now a new tank has completed. I'll take the fish to the new tank this week.

WOW <<applause - stretch>> This has to have been the most entertaining lunch hour I've ever had. Take a bow everyone!!! :D

BTW - the video still hasn't loaded :o

Then learn English. Your grammar is atrocious.

Thank you for stating the obvious. He's from China. I think we noticed his grammar wasn't great after the first 50 pages of nose-bleed English. Pat yourself on the back anyways, you got "cool" points for telling everyone he has bad english.

I still think this guy is 12, lives in the states, and thinks this is the funniest thing ever. Can anybody be this stupid? If he really is who he says he is, it is truly amazing. Probably will tell us next that he doesn't need a heater because it would be unnatural in some way. Idiot.

I think I've read almost every single post on this thread. Many people bashed the OP in their posts. Most with insightful facts about what the OP is doing incorrectly.

YOUR posts however, allenspidey, were mostly "idiot this, idiot that". You think this guy is 12? In that case, I think you're 8. I understood most of the OP's replies after reading over them more than twice, and to be honest, he had a lot more thought-out logic into his replies than yours. Put it this way, I'd team up with the OP in team jeopardy before I'd ever team up with your hill-billy replying stupidity, regardless of how dillusional he is about fish-keeping. If I were you, I'd try to be a bit more positive and productive in my replies than just pointing out that someone is an "idiot".

So, this thread was posted by someone who obviously doesn't have as much research knowledge on the hobby as we do. If it was a perfect world, every single reply to the thread should've pointed out ways in which to both improve how the OP was doing things without all the insults. That way, moderators wouldn't have to step in. It's posts like YOURS, allenspidey, that lead to threads being locked.

You know if you read all the replies that I give to people that actually want help you would see that I never bash anyone. This guy didn't care to listen and yeah I gave him some jabs. You are doing the exact same thing by going back to a dead thread and ripping on everybody. Get over it already.

he doesn't have to listen.

a common misconception in reefing is that there are superior and inferior methods. almost any approach in practice can be successful when applied properly. people argue days-weeks-months-years on end about barebottom, DSB, zeovit, denitrators, bioballs, etc., etc. being better or inferior. problem is, once you've been in the hobby long anough, you realize that for each of these methods, there's someone who understands the subtleties and has a kick-ass tank using something commonly thought of as "inferior" - and no tank lasts forever. i've seen pics of a massive 16 year-old tank with a standard undergravel filter (not a jaubert plenum), never cleaned, with huge Acroporas as old as the tank, for example; but if someone would set up a tank like that today, boy he'd be in for a flame war.

this guy may have some unconventional methodology by western standards, but his tanks are nicer than most of the flamers in this thread. some chinese tanks ARE overstocked by our standards, but they do apply methods foreign to us and the fish stay alive for very long periods of time, comparable to ours. are they happy? maybe not, but the tangs i see in 10 gallon tanks here on NR everyday probably aren't much happier, maybe even less so for being away from their school.

honestly, i think we can learn a thing or two from this guy.

Nemo, I went to China earlier this year and it was a beautiful country, and I saw many beautiful aquariums there. We went to adopt my daughter from Guangdong province.One thing I noted was that the way of doing things was very different from here, but the Chinese definitely knew what they were doing--though we Americans would not have approved. Alot of what you're saying makes sense to me--I see how you keep NO3 low with lots of flow and changing "cotton" regularly. That's an interesting approach I've never seen in America.

this was one of the very few open-minded posts in this thread.

The fact is that when you purchase an animal you take on the responsibility as its owner to properly care for it. Fish aren't regulated in America, or definately where nemo comes from, to make sure that they are treated humanely. Keeping that many fish in that small of a tank, despite water changes, will always be perverse. Its not only that... think of the stress that the fish have to go through with the water parameters constantly changing. Unless the No3 is being dilluted every day, which is not the case, the fish have to build up an immunity to their waste until it goes to a point where it is almost intolerable, and the fish have to spend all of their pathetic existence spending all of their energy battling the nitrate. And once the levels become toxic, nemo saves the day be performing a huge water change to last the fish another week. If nemo respected and loved his fish he would not have put them in such a small tank.

The fact is that when you purchase an animal you take on the responsibility as its owner to properly care for it. Fish aren't regulated in America, or definately where nemo comes from, to make sure that they are treated humanely. Keeping that many fish in that small of a tank, despite water changes, will always be perverse. Its not only that... think of the stress that the fish have to go through with the water parameters constantly changing. Unless the No3 is being dilluted every day, which is not the case, the fish have to build up an immunity to their waste until it goes to a point where it is almost intolerable, and the fish have to spend all of their pathetic existence spending all of their energy battling the nitrate. And once the levels become toxic, nemo saves the day be performing a huge water change to last the fish another week. If nemo respected and loved his fish he would not have put them in such a small tank.

whatever, you could say that about any tank-kept fish. i see posts all the time with people having tanks with fish with 50, 100 ppm, even higher nitrate levels.

don't even get me started about corals (anyone remember my licensing thread? lol), of which 99.99% of all aquarium corals die within a few years, whereas a wild colony can be hundreds of years old. none of us keep proper habitats for our reef creatures, the proof is all over this forum. unless people think they can keep the corals they own alive and growing for the rest of their human lives, AND even after that, then those acting indignant are all hypocrites.

point the fingers at yourselves, people.

lol join peta, maybe you all can make a difference.

whatever, you could say that about any tank-kept fish. i see posts all the time with people having tanks with fish with 50, 100 ppm, even higher nitrate levels.

don't even get me started about corals (anyone remember my licensing thread? lol), of which 99.99% of all aquarium corals die within a few years, whereas a wild colony can be hundreds of years old. none of us keep proper habitats for our reef creatures, the proof is all over this forum. unless people think they can keep the corals they own alive and growing for the rest of their human lives, AND even after that, then those acting indignant are all hypocrites.

point the fingers at yourselves, people.

lol join peta, maybe you all can make a difference.

Wow ya thats a hell of way to put it that I never even thought about. Tell me your opinion on this... Does only buying tank-bred fish help the natural population? I actually really have a problem with buying fish that I know were stripped from the ocean to put in my glass box.

fraggle rockette

anyone else notice how many new people there are in this thread in the 15-20 post range all of the sudden? :huh:

anyone else think it's an odd coincidence? :huh: :huh: :huh:

just sayin...

no tank threads = TROLLS!!! RUUUNNNNN!!!!! :o

Archived