ReefCleaners.org

THE ULTIMATE ID THREAD! Before you post WHATS THIS? LOOK HERE!

Helfrichs Chick

On 10/6/2007 at 4:10 PM, Helfrichs Chick said:

Pistol and Mantis Shrimp: HARMFUL

Pretty harmless to corals and such, but can spit your finger right open. Can also harm and kill fish, as well as CUC members. These both come in a huge variety of colors and sizes, but you will always know they are there by the loud snapping noise.

mantis.jpgpistol.jpg

these are not too bad you can buy pistol shrimp i think fish are smart enough to stay from them i have a pistol and its harmed nothing in fact i think emerald crabs can be worse. now yeah i was likely unlucky but they did kill my coral beauty and a few other fish so.... i think these arent that bad...

On 2/3/2019 at 10:33 AM, Titaniumbird said:

How about this one, it’s a close-up the cluster is the size of a pencil eraser. Seems to be flexible, moves around in the current.

8804A2F8-DC1C-467D-A463-D27370A5E707.jpeg

looks like a type of coral or anemone maybe a majano which if so get rid of it

3 minutes ago, tommynacho said:

Hello,  Can anyone help me identify this guy.  He was clinging on to the glass then drifted away until he was able to grab on a rock.  Thanks 

51D8F2CA-EB61-4CA1-8764-F382F8D8EA85.jpeg

F263FAE7-E28A-4F85-88A8-DA85FE57D5B6.jpeg

Looks like a teeny Medusa worm maybe. 

Just started up a IM Fusion 20 and stocked with 10lbs of live rock from my LFS. I've already seen a few worms (look to be bristle to me... video linked, any confirmations?) and a little very fine tentacle-y thing along my back wall (picture attached). Any idea what it is? It's tentacles move around a lot and are very fine.

IMG_20190217_161529.jpg

20 minutes ago, clabern said:

Just started up a IM Fusion 20 and stocked with 10lbs of live rock from my LFS. I've already seen a few worms (look to be bristle to me... video linked, any confirmations?) and a little very fine tentacle-y thing along my back wall (picture attached). Any idea what it is? It's tentacles move around a lot and are very fine.

IMG_20190217_161529.jpg

From those pics I would guess bristleworm and spaghetti worm. 

On 9/16/2018 at 10:05 PM, RayWhisperer said:

If you’re looking for a specific species, I doubt you’ll get that. Perhaps the genus of Bispira would be as good a place as any, to start. Most folks just call em cluster dusters, because they are a cluster of feather dusters. While true cluster dusters are Bispiria, I don’t think yours are the same species. Regardless, they are a cool HH, enjoy em.

Any tips on how to keep these things from spreading all over the tank? They break off real easily - from snails, RFAs moving, or me hitting them during water changes. They are really starting to take over the tank appearing on most every rock. And then there are the individuals that are just popping out of the sand. You can’t grab them with long tongs and they just break and it’s even difficult with your fingers.

The picture of them is back on page 22.

Edited by SeaFurn
Added page number of picture.

That's fast spreading, especially for dusters. Though they still dont look it, I suppose it could be a type of hydroid I am unfamiliar with. That would better match the spread of your specimens. 

As far as natural controls, if they are hydroids. There are certain species of slugs that eat them. Many are found in Florida waters. Someone like John Maloney would better be able to find a species that does. I've heard sea hares will eat hydroids, too. Though I have no experience or knowledge of that. Some skeleton shrimp eat them, but most just harvest debris off of them. 

All of that is assuming they are hydroids, which I still dont believe them to be. Either way, hydroid, or duster, I figure aptasia x is probably the most effective. That shit kills just about anything it touches. 

• Like 1
Guest WoodstockReefer

Yea last night along with copepods i noticed about 100 clear worms moving on the glass. I used a jewelers loop to look in closer. They appear clear and quite long...not oval like harmful flatworms. More elongated and clear. Unsure of what they are yet. Ill be keepin an eye on em.

21 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

I figure aptasia x is probably the most effective. That shit kills just about anything it touches. 

Rock nems?  I mean I'm not intentionally going to get it on them but....

It would kill rock anemones, given a large enough dose. Yes. 

I think whats important here, is the way it’s used. First off, a common sense approach. You can’t go nuking the whole tank with aptasia x, you’ll kill just about everything. Treating a section, or area at a time, then giving the system time to adjust and/or recouperate. Next is following the directions. In your case, I’d probably even include more precautions. Given that these are basically an infestation of tiny creatures, you’ll need to ensure the safety of other inhabitants. Now, I don’t have a bottle on hand, but if I remember correctly, it’s something like. Turn off flow, treat aptasia, wait x amount of time, resume normal operation. In your shoes, I’d treat individuals in a small group, wait at least an hour, maybe more, before turning anything that creates flow back on. The reason is, they are tiny, and will not draw all of the aptasia x in with them. In fact, very little will be drawn in. You may even need to implement a smaller syringe to apply it directly into the individual tubes. Due to the fact, tube worms tend to retract rather quickly to external stimulus.

http://www.seaslugforum.net/showall/flabverr

a very common species on the east coast that preys on a variety of hydroids. It does say, when food is short it will feed on “the compound ascidian.” Honestly, I don’t know what that compound is. I can only assume it is referring to something in tunicates, which are ascidians. That is, as I said before, assuming what you have are hydroids. If so, it may be worth trying to acquire a couple, assuming you have no tunicates you are intent on keeping. No guarantees that it won’t go after your rock flower anemones. However, I would assume the likelihood of that happening to be pretty slim. They normally have very specific dietary requirements. That article makes no mention of them feeding on anemones of any sort, which condylactis, rock flower, and tube anmeones, all fall into their natural range.

@RayWhisperer 

Thanks for the research and advice. I think your suggestion about attacking them in small groups is spot on. 

The infestation hasn’t gotten much worse in the last few weeks but like I said they break off, blow around the tank and then start growing in new areas or out of the sand. Interestingly, the nems will eat them, calcium tube and all if they land on them. It will take a few more days for this one to get completely digested. 

46276054945_f683c1c2dd_b.jpg

Yeah, nems eat whatever they can catch. My mini maxi carpet (which was more maxi maxi) often ate snails. Even got a couple of hermits, too. It would just spit out the shell a few days later.

• Like 1

This guy was in a hole on a rock - could see a bit of white with darker stripes. This morning it is on the front glass, so this is it's underside. 1/4 inch long. Can't get a pic of the upper side yet. 

20190226_080054.jpg

1 minute ago, Newstead said:

This guy was in a hole on a rock - could see a bit of white with darker stripes. This morning it is on the front glass, so this is it's underside. 1/4 inch long. Can't get a pic of the upper side yet. 

20190226_080054.jpg

Limpet or chiton based on the underside only. 

• Like 1

Definitely not a limpet - I have some of those. This guy has horizontal lines across the upper body from what I could see when it was in the rock. I think you are right with chiton from images I see on line. 7 years and this is the first one I have seen!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Newstead said:

Definitely not a limpet - I have some of those. This guy has horizontal lines across the upper body from what I could see when it was in the rock. I think you are right with chiton from images I see on line. 7 years and this is the first one I have seen!

Very cool. I had a purple one once for awhile and then he disappeared. 😕

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Very cool. I had a purple one once for awhile and then he disappeared. 😕

Aww.  . Hope this guy hangs around a while. I love the surprises this hobby throws at us! Thanks for heading me in the right direction on this ID.

• Like 1

Evidently the one on the glass is a baby.    Caught  mama out - as soon as I turned the lights on to get a pic she went back under the rock. From where she was, it appears she eats coralline as you can see where it has been scraped off.  Surprised at how relatively fast she can move. 

20190227_221323.jpg

20190227_221427.jpg

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Newstead said:

Evidently the one on the glass is a baby.    Caught  mama out - as soon as I turned the lights on to get a pic she went back under the rock. From where she was, it appears she eats coralline as you can see where it has been scraped off.  Surprised at how relatively fast she can move. 

20190227_221323.jpg

20190227_221427.jpg

Big mama! That’s awesome. 😊

• Like 1