Cultivated Reef

THE ULTIMATE ID THREAD! Before you post WHATS THIS? LOOK HERE!

Helfrichs Chick

Alright ladies and gents.. I’ve been trying to get a photo or video of this guy.. just me camped out with my red flashlight and my darn phone.. hand cramping and arms falling asleep.  This is the best I came up with.  He is a pinkish red color in the daylight.  Seems to have a white band behind the head.  Came out for first time yesterday in the daylight for a piece of shrimp I was feeding my anemone.

Closes eyes and prays... please please please please don’t say what I think you are gonna say.  But I need a positive ID before I go destroy my tank.  Please please please please say everyday bristle worm.

Its not great quality on YouTube.  But it wouldn’t let me upload video here bc of size.  I will keep trying for better.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GQTu5hA4kAo

4 minutes ago, Opotter said:

Ha!!   Finally got a decent darn photo.  He will come out for shrimp but man is he fast!  See below

2331DF18-B247-43A8-9F0E-515C0F255193.jpeg

6BF0F245-4FF6-44FD-9ABE-11C35BE206BB.jpeg

6E0FFF73-8D37-4278-8956-F4E5E3281BAA.jpeg

He’s cute....... but a total killer.  I had one in a pico named The Creep. 

I was truly afraid of that.  I didn’t know what he was.  At first I thought oh nice a bristle worm.  Then I saw him attack leftover anemone shrimp food yesterday I was afraid of a 10 foot sand worm from beetle juice growing in my tank.  $&#!!! I guess I’m going fishing for worm tonight!   #*$&!!!!!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Opotter said:

I was truly afraid of that.  I didn’t know what he was.  At first I thought oh nice a bristle worm.  Then I saw him attack leftover anemone shrimp food yesterday I was afraid of a 10 foot sand worm from beetle juice growing in my tank.  $&#!!! I guess I’m going fishing for worm tonight!   #*$&!!!!!

Mine had a lair inside a GSP rock. He would build tunnels and attach things to the rock. He had a front door and a back door so look for his “construction”. Mine would almost never come completely out of the rock so if you can narrow it down just pull it. 

Oh I know where he lives.. it’s my favorite rock.  Otherwise I would just pull the rock out and dip it and say have a nice day.  Which I will do if I have to.. I don’t want a 6ft nightmare worm in my 12 gallon display.  My LFS said they want him.. why I have no clue.. so I’m gonna try and trap him and let them have him.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Opotter said:

Oh I know where he lives.. it’s my favorite rock.  Otherwise I would just pull the rock out and dip it and say have a nice day.  Which I will do if I have to.. I don’t want a 6ft nightmare worm in my 12 gallon display.  My LFS said they want him.. why I have no clue.. so I’m gonna try and trap him and let them have him.

They are very cool creatures.  I had mine for awhile and would throw things in the tank for him to “build” with. 

The Creep 

AC8F9090-1187-48EE-BBD6-893C91AD4B14.thumb.jpeg.c8636e0de5b1a7032505a907977015e9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WV is right. It's a Diopatra species of worm. Which species, I dont know. They are primarily predatory by nature. I'm sure there might be some detrivores within the genus, but I dont know of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably still a good idea to get rid of em, cool or not.  Without knowing what that particular ones diet is you are taking a fairly large gamble with your livestock.  Chances are its snails, and anything else that wanders close enough to its tube that it can catch.  I love cool and weird shit but I wouldn't want to risk one of my fancy inverts or fish just hoping he will be happy with missed food and the occasional snail or something.

He’s gone.  I caught him going into a rock that I wanted to pull out in order to re-landscape.  Perfect opportunity.  I plucked him and the rock out and took it over to LFS.  I then did a little happy dance and re-worked the rockscape.  There was a pile of empty snail shells by his little den.  Guess I now know where my snails had disspeared to.

• Like 2

Awesome that it was nice and simple.  Most people spend months "suspecting something" followed by months of hunting, trapping and tearing apart their tank to get rid of the various bad worms we sometimes get haha.

Did the LFS say why they wanted him?  Did they think it was one of those eunice worms that gets massive?  I think that one you had doesn't get super big. The build tubes like feather dusters but nom on the stuff that come around it like snails and other crustaceans.

One of the young guys that works in the store is studying marine biology.  I think he just wanted a weird worm pet, but I didn’t ask too many questions.  I was just happy to be rid of him

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Okay, so I've checked through the thread and can't seem to see these, please help id and if friend or foe. 

Not seen these in tank before, currently tank is going through fallow period after ich outbreak. 

Not best picture but they're small buggers, about 6 of them on back glass, they are nocturnal and dive for cover when lights come on. 

Thanks in advance. 

T. 

20181212_071019.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Everyone! New guy here.

I need help identifying this coral. It was in a tank that said “frogspawn/hammers”. 

Online research says frogspawn has multiple “tips” and hammers have just one. Most of the tips have single heads but some have 2. Anyone know what this coral is? 

211C151C-0A0A-4A8A-94C9-284A6088C215.jpeg

20 hours ago, La77guru said:

Hey Everyone! New guy here.

I need help identifying this coral. It was in a tank that said “frogspawn/hammers”. 

Online research says frogspawn has multiple “tips” and hammers have just one. Most of the tips have single heads but some have 2. Anyone know what this coral is? 

Hammerspawn?