Coral Vue Hydros

THE ULTIMATE ID THREAD! Before you post WHATS THIS? LOOK HERE!

Helfrichs Chick

RayWhisperer

Can't get a clear enough view to positively ID it for you. However, there are thousands of types of dusters. So, it's likely that's just what they are. Perhaps it's just a goofy angle. However, the one circled on the lower right in pic 2, appears to have a tube.

• Like 1
On 5/30/2017 at 2:48 PM, ashwin1224 said:

Ive searched a lot but I cannot seem to finalize what these things are. They seem like feather dusters, but I cannot see them growing out of a tube, instead they seem to be growing out of rock crevices. I can be mistaken is this is my first tank, but to me they seem like something else. Also, unlike feather dusters, they seem to have short and stouty bristles instead of feathers. What are these things?

IMG-20170530-WA0015_LI.jpg

IMG-20170530-WA0014_LI.jpg

I think the one on top looks like the crown of a peanut worm.  Does it move or just suck back into the hole?  Peanut worms "unfold" a little crown and can actually sweep it around kind of like an elephant trunk. 

ashwin1224
4 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Can't get a clear enough view to positively ID it for you. However, there are thousands of types of dusters. So, it's likely that's just what they are. Perhaps it's just a goofy angle. However, the one circled on the lower right in pic 2, appears to have a tube.

I tried a lot but I could not get a clearer pic. Yes, one of them does appear to have a tube, but still it is unlike any feather duster I can find online.

4 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I think the one on top looks like the crown of a peanut worm.  Does it move or just suck back into the hole?  Peanut worms "unfold" a little crown and can actually sweep it around kind of like an elephant trunk. 

Google results for peanut worms match this critter a lot. It doesnt seem to move much, but its entire body sucks back into the hole at times, some of them appear to have a tube like structure beneath the crown of tentacles, which moves into the hole too. It does not seem to get its body out of the hole. It is nocturnal and shining a flashlight over it makes it shrink back inside.

• Like 1

Had no luck I'd ing these. Does anyone know what they are? It looks like acro redbug but it's bigger and completely red, not orange with red dot aka acro redbugs.

they seem to appear after feeding my tank reefroids, crawl around slowly.   Then once finished disappear under corals /rocks etc. My sps look fine and growing well ,so I'm thinking they are some kind of tiny scavengers??   Tiny red dot on small blue acro.  And bright red dot in glass jar. There's quite a few when they come out all over my rockwork mainly

IMG_6896.JPG

IMG_6897.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea what this is? It certainly is green like algae. The little head on the end and the fact that is pretty stout and and not moved by the flow at all is confusing. It is about 3 mm long at this point. It is the only example I can find in my tank, currently.

unnamed-1.jpg

1 minute ago, NM-Reef said:

Any idea what this is? It certainly is green like algae. The little head on the end and the fact that is pretty stout and and not moved by the flow at all is confusing. It is about 3 mm long at this point. It is the only example I can find in my tank, currently.

unnamed-1.jpg

Mermaids Cup?

• 1 month later...
RayWhisperer

Can't really see much. It's hard to focus on such small things, especially when there are rocks, and whatnot, that tend to get the camera to focus on them. So, any description to go along with the pic?

I could afford a few guesses, but that's all they'd be without a description, or clearer pic.

Maybe nerite eggs, maybe baby snails, maybe hydroid medusas, maybe a lot of things....

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I hope you all might be able to help me identify this critter that suddenly appeared in my chaeto....

The heads dont pulse, but open and close periodically and can retract when disturbed. The bottom is pretty hard.

20170912_021637448_iOS.thumb.jpg.9316efde98ba7adb5b81ae9365f17dba.jpg20170912_021701880_iOS.thumb.jpg.6e87a3a9f33127ab83ccb26e25f125bc.jpg

15 minutes ago, Syndre said:

Hi,

I hope you all might be able to help me identify this critter that suddenly appeared in my chaeto....

The heads dont pulse, but open and close periodically and can retract when disturbed. The bottom is pretty hard.

20170912_021637448_iOS.thumb.jpg.9316efde98ba7adb5b81ae9365f17dba.jpg20170912_021701880_iOS.thumb.jpg.6e87a3a9f33127ab83ccb26e25f125bc.jpg

Looks like some sort of tunicates 

On 8/9/2017 at 7:05 PM, Cpl_Wiggles said:

Any ideas on the white critters?

CameraZOOM-20170811165752472.thumb.jpg.e918f8991dc52e192bd2f800e3a13693.jpg

CameraZOOM-20170811165825434.thumb.jpg.6ab46c06b60409bc4de054829466c829.jpg

Spirorbid worms. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, also have a slight flatworm population I've been trying to keep down, and a minor bubble algae problem, but the bubble algae has never bloomed, it stays small as I tend to attempt to scrub it off of easily removeable rock which is where it tends to be. Im

rock/stone or gorilla crab? its a molt i believe. i saw an escape flap at the back. Looking at the brs crab trap since im not so great at diy and this guy i think has already taken out some fish... its a good 1.5-2" across

20170925_141621_zpsvqdfwwom.jpg

20170925_141728_zpshrjikq16.jpg

thanks!

It’s hard to tell - colors look so different out of the water!  My gorilla grab was much lighter in color, very hairy and the tips of its claws were dark brown or black.  And I wanna day was shaped differently overall - but!  May be the difference in sexes??  Mine was horrible and I finally got him out and my corals have been thriving since!  

• 1 month later...

I've searched everyone on the NET to try to ID this Polyp cluster that I noticed on my ROCK.  (CANT FIND ID on this anywhere)

This is an SPS only tank, so no Zoa's or softies.

I have Colonial Hydroids in a 2nd Tank for couple years, and Luckily never had this tank contaminated.

But these are not Colonial Hydroids like in my other tank.

They are all over the side of this rock,

I never would have noticed them since they are tiny, but they got my attention due to PATCH of CYANO, and they are poking out.

WHAT ARE THESE????   Safe?

THE ROCK IS LOOSE AND REMOVABLE (But two others are leaning on it).  I plan to yank rock, treat (but for now just store in bucket till I ID these)

Not Strawberry Anenomes, not Christmas Tree Worms (I think).....???  Must be a worm

(STRIKING Uniqueness is the RED CENTER in the POLP)

38129390721_81dc48bb4d_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, leighismine said:

I have some amoeba looking things in my tank. Small and slow moving. Did my best with the pic. The form fit as they move around the rock. White with some green pattern. 

E0B0200D-8095-4F5F-A0D9-8478DCBB16B2.jpeg

42F8BF5B-4D2B-4394-BBB1-2B5C602CDC2C.jpeg

Asterina Starfish. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2017 at 12:05 AM, WallyB said:

I've searched everyone on the NET to try to ID this Polyp cluster that I noticed on my ROCK.  (CANT FIND ID on this anywhere)

This is an SPS only tank, so no Zoa's or softies.

I have Colonial Hydroids in a 2nd Tank for couple years, and Luckily never had this tank contaminated.

But these are not Colonial Hydroids like in my other tank.

They are all over the side of this rock,

I never would have noticed them since they are tiny, but they got my attention due to PATCH of CYANO, and they are poking out.

WHAT ARE THESE????   Safe?

THE ROCK IS LOOSE AND REMOVABLE (But two others are leaning on it).  I plan to yank rock, treat (but for now just store in bucket till I ID these)

Not Strawberry Anenomes, not Christmas Tree Worms (I think).....???  Must be a worm

(STRIKING Uniqueness is the RED CENTER in the POLP)

38129390721_81dc48bb4d_b.jpg

Did you ever find out what these are?  They are cool looking, but seem to have 10 tentacles, which suggests they aren't any type of coral polyps.  I wasn't able to find anything similar online...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I found a hitchhiker in my tank. I’m not sure what type of worm is that.is it harmless? Unfortunately I couldn’t upload a video, I hope this photo will help to ID it.

my bet is a cirratulids regarding this http://www.cdmas.org/articles/article-library/salt-water/live-rock/a-hitch-hikers-guide-to-the-reefs-worms.html 

next bet is a cirratulidae, regarding this http://eol.org/pages/129/overview 

B2AB745D-8443-45DB-A0EF-2E0158749495.jpeg

E3F2BCC5-4871-4C5E-ACDC-3AD2F3208227.jpeg