Helfrichs Chick

THE ULTIMATE ID THREAD! Before you post WHATS THIS? LOOK HERE!

MarkSlater

Wondering if these worms are bad or not. There are a good amount of them on the glass around the tank. I have included video links at the bottom. The biggest ones are about 2mm and the smallest ones are 0.5mm or under.

So within the past month or so, my parents' fish tank went from 5 fish to 0, and these worms have appeared. Wondering if they are parasites, and/or how to deal with them. In our tank we currently have two coral banded shrimp and two hermit crabs, as all the fish have died.

Let me know if more information is needed. I will respond quickly.

IMG_1157.thumb.JPG.c89480d063628e94860a7d58919b88fe.JPG

Video 1

Video 2

lakshwadeep
On 4/4/2019 at 12:04 PM, MarkSlater said:

Wondering if these worms are bad or not. There are a good amount of them on the glass around the tank. I have included video links at the bottom. The biggest ones are about 2mm and the smallest ones are 0.5mm or under.

So within the past month or so, my parents' fish tank went from 5 fish to 0, and these worms have appeared. Wondering if they are parasites, and/or how to deal with them. In our tank we currently have two coral banded shrimp and two hermit crabs, as all the fish have died.

Let me know if more information is needed. I will respond quickly.

It looks like a spionid worm, which are harmless. What fish were in the tank, and how big was the tank? It's highly unusual five separate fish would die so quickly. Usually, the reason is some type of disease or something else. 

Titaniumbird
On 2/7/2019 at 7:24 PM, mcarroll said:

If you look closely at most Euphyllia their polyps aren't univerally of one type.    IMO you can pick what you call this one.  🙂

It’s grown a bit and it’s moving in the current, any more guesses? hah also, extreme close up, it’s the size of the tip of my thumb.

2845978F-B862-4743-95F9-B3F9809FFDF1.jpeg

Titaniumbird
On 2/5/2019 at 6:47 PM, CoralStorm said:

looks like a type of coral or anemone maybe a majano which if so get rid of it

On 2/7/2019 at 7:24 PM, mcarroll said:

If you look closely at most Euphyllia their polyps aren't univerally of one type.    IMO you can pick what you call this one.  🙂

14FACC2C-1877-4817-B4BE-59B191388760.jpeg

GTi

Hi. I just received an order from LiveAquaria and have acclimated and transferred it to my QT. The order included some Codium and something hitchhiked in, most likely on the macro.

It's a little under 1/2" long, purple in color (lights are off for a bit longer so it's hard to tell). It is segmented, like a work and can move along a surface like an inch worm but can also swim in open water quite well. There are 2 appendages (look like antennae but probably aren't) on its 'head' and 2 arm like structures further along the body. At the tail end, there are multiple structures that splay out and hold on to a surface.

In the attached photo it is 'head' down.

When it is in the current it looks like one of these tall inflatable bendy guys they use to advertise at car dealerships.

I'm hoping it's safe for the tank. I'm also hoping the puffer doesn't eat it (unless it's bad) because he seems to be taking a bite out of everything else in the QT right now...

Thanks!

IMG_0293.jpg

Pantera61

I looked but didnt see anyone else with this.  It was on some live rock from my LPS.  While on the rock it looks like a satellite dish on a stalk.  Then when released they swim all over the tank like little jellyfish.  One landed on my hitchhiker stony polyps and they devoured it.  This is the little guy and these are the polyps that ate him.  And ideas on either?

Screenshot_20190416-124150.png

20190406_180302.jpg

Andrew_G99

does anybody know what these snails are snails are they look like young Dwarf Cerith snails, I currently only have one dwarf Cerith I added to the tank so I'm not sure how it could have reproduced

spacer.png

popek

Umm what is this thing ??

IMG_20190722_183409.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Wow 1

MaverickX77

This big guy crawled out of the live rock today and I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything that will be dangerous. Looks like a normal bristle but I wanted to ask the experts. I didn't see this among the pictures in the beginning of this thread. Luckily he crawled right into the empty overflow chamber to make it easy for me to snap a pic, haha.

20190726_190106.jpg

WV Reefer
41 minutes ago, MaverickX77 said:

This big guy crawled out of the live rock today and I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything that will be dangerous. Looks like a normal bristle but I wanted to ask the experts. I didn't see this among the pictures in the beginning of this thread. Luckily he crawled right into the empty overflow chamber to make it easy for me to snap a pic, haha.

20190726_190106.jpg

Looks like a large bristleworm to me. 

MaverickX77

Should I leave him in or will he become a nuisance? I am currently cycling my 13.5 so now is a good time to go one way or the other.  I am planning on a few small fish and a few soft corals.

mndfreeze

It's harmless and a benefical part of your clean up crew.  

Mena

I just joined hoping to get some answers for something I haven't seen yet. I have been reading this forum since I started my reef aquarium. Well shortly after I started making mistakes. I have come a long way in the way I look at this hobby. So I have been expanding my reef. I have several different fish, invertebrates, macro algea and corals.

On one of my corals that I have had for 3 months now a weird soft life-like tentacles stated growing around it off of the frag. I have watched it for hours and nothing comes out of them and they do have tiny hole in the shorter ones but they are getting bigger. And now it is starting on a second different coral. I did dip these corals when I recieved them.

What is it and how do I help my corals?! They seem to be breaking off and sticking to the frag rack as well!!  Please help.

received_1825923200844215.jpeg

20190804_221202.jpg

mndfreeze

Probably sponges.

Mena
On 8/8/2019 at 7:49 PM, mndfreeze said:

Probably sponges.

Ok, thank you for the input. I will keep a watch on them then instead of trying to scrub it off.

popek

What would this be ?  Snail eggs ?

IMG_20190818_210845.thumb.jpg.bf1e22286a89337c368e181ad81653ce.jpg

ChristopherDido
1 hour ago, popek said:

What would this be ?  Snail eggs ?

I assume you are talking about the big green bubbles. If so, it's called bubble algae and can get pretty out of control. Some say if you pop it it will release spores and more will grow. In my experience that has not been there case. I just beat a really bad outbreak of it. Some people don't mind it, others do. Hope that helps.

allesluge
On 8/4/2019 at 9:14 PM, Mena said:

I just joined hoping to get some answers for something I haven't seen yet. I have been reading this forum since I started my reef aquarium. Well shortly after I started making mistakes. I have come a long way in the way I look at this hobby. So I have been expanding my reef. I have several different fish, invertebrates, macro algea and corals.

On one of my corals that I have had for 3 months now a weird soft life-like tentacles stated growing around it off of the frag. I have watched it for hours and nothing comes out of them and they do have tiny hole in the shorter ones but they are getting bigger. And now it is starting on a second different coral. I did dip these corals when I recieved them.

What is it and how do I help my corals?! They seem to be breaking off and sticking to the frag rack as well!!  Please help.

received_1825923200844215.jpeg

20190804_221202.jpg

I have something similar it looks like an algae or something

DE7CA001-2FBF-46CE-A813-6292C506E348.jpeg

allesluge

Hi to all what could be this it looks like an algae with leaf 🍃 form it is growing from a monti skeleton frag 

B15F5261-39A7-49D9-87B5-C1A538F8056E.jpeg

MaverickX77

I'm looking to ID a couple of things on my live rock. 

The first picture is of the tan, best described as a weed growing at the top of the live rock. It started off small and has been growing the past week.  I can try to get a better picture if need be.

The second is the round red circle with the white dots. I rearranged some rocks and this was on the back of one that I turned around to face the front of the tank.

20190826_103512.jpg

20190826_103458.jpg

lakshwadeep
On 8/20/2019 at 10:26 PM, allesluge said:

Hi to all what could be this it looks like an algae with leaf 🍃 form it is growing from a monti skeleton frag 

B15F5261-39A7-49D9-87B5-C1A538F8056E.jpeg

It might be Halimeda, but the object is blurry/dark. Try photographing from a brighter angle and with sharper focus.

lakshwadeep
On 8/26/2019 at 11:08 AM, MaverickX77 said:

I'm looking to ID a couple of things on my live rock. 

The first picture is of the tan, best described as a weed growing at the top of the live rock. It started off small and has been growing the past week.  I can try to get a better picture if need be.

The second is the round red circle with the white dots. I rearranged some rocks and this was on the back of one that I turned around to face the front of the tank.

First pic is some type of brown algae, maybe Sargassum, with some type of red algae, like Gracilaria.

Second pic may depend on whether it is hard, soft, and/or responding to touch. It could be a small mushroom coral.