Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

THE ULTIMATE ID THREAD! Before you post WHATS THIS? LOOK HERE!

Helfrichs Chick

On 3/30/2018 at 10:17 AM, WV Reefer said:

Caprella Pinantuis?

wish i could see the chela better, that will tell you a lot when id'ing caprellids. If you don't see a cephalon (sharp point on head) that will rule out penantis. Others will have dull ones sometimes but penantis has a very pronounced one. 

From what I can see in the video, I would call it equilibria based on the size of the antennas and the size of the segments between the head and the chela. Either way, very cool scavenger to have 

I have a part time job id'ing coastal macroinvertebrates for an oceanic recruitment grant for my university and my professor let me switch to temporary staff after I graduated earlier this month. 

• Like 1
On 5/25/2018 at 5:24 AM, BrentSA said:

Please help , recently acquired some live rock and while doing a dry layout I noticed some black bugs running off them with the water , the amount of them is amazing and too scared to put this into my new tank. 

20180524_234152-1.jpg

These look like they could be from family Idoteidae. I'm not going to be much help for further id without a microscope and a key haha. like mndfreeze said most isopods are parasitic so I wouldn't chance adding these to your tank. Cool hh nonetheless 

• Like 1

Thanks a million guys , will research to kill everything , rather safe than sorry , hope my filtration on the canister will keep them out of my main tank if they are in my sump. As for the hairy thing , I'm pretty sure it's a chiton after finding out what it was named as on the group and Googled pics , found another 3 today , two which had no spikes on it .  

5 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Looked up “chiton with spikes” and Number 4 in the pic looks kinda similar to your finds:

A990A398-9F22-4F5D-A1A1-6A7609E5093E.thumb.png.b30f4ecae06e17c783e0cf5ac17876c7.png

Number 4 ... that's it !!! WV Reefer ... you are a super star !  Still want them out though after touching it , it's the same feeling as when you touch a cacti with fine needles , it more a irritant and the spot becomes red ... hate that thing !

• Like 1

A pic of a Cirolanid isopod attached/replacing a fishes tongue . How long do you guys think it would take for isopods and nuisance anemones to die in fresh water ? 

Isopod.png

• Sad 1

Chitons are reef/tank safe and are good cleaners. I would keep them IMO.  It's not like you're going to cuddle them or pet them.

The pods on the other hand are a toss up.  I have isopods in my tank that are totally fine, both munnid and sphereo's.  The key is actually identifying the ones you have.  Most people don't want to put in the effort or take the risk.  My understanding with most pods is that you basically do manual removal and that there is no sure fire single trick.  EVENTUALLY if you let your tank run fallow they will starve and die, but no idea how long that takes to be safe and sure.  I think people over-react when they see pictures of things like the tongue isopod, and most isopod infections people get are from fish already infected at the store, or that hitched in on new live rock.  They are not very common to come from an established tank because they get ID'd by the owner fairly fast as they start feeding on the fish.  

There is lots of information on wet web media and other sources on them, as well as some suggestions for removal methods.  

2 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

If you decide to get rid of your chitons I'll gladly pay some shipping and take them off your hands 😄

Thanks a million for the replies , can't express my gratitude enough for all the knowledge being shared . Lol as for the chitons. ... I have no clue what I'd have to do, to be able to ship it to you, but tell you what , will do some research into it and what country are you in .... but you could also always visit Cape Town South Africa lol 

ihglifelol
On 5/25/2018 at 5:24 AM, BrentSA said:

Please help , recently acquired some live rock and while doing a dry layout I noticed some black bugs running off them with the water , the amount of them is amazing and too scared to put this into my new tank. 

20180524_234152-1.jpg

those are springtails, insects, some species are saltwater, they will do no harm as their prime food source is mould

Can anyone I'd this for my. It's on the side of my candy cane coral. I thought they're were tiny zoa polyps but they are hard. Pic is a little blurry but it's dark brown/red with baby blue rings.

20180529_110231-01_zps4qwgtvef_edit_1527

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 2:38 AM, ihglifelol said:

those are springtails, insects, some species are saltwater, they will do no harm as their prime food source is mould

Thank you so much , was too scared to do my tank with those rocks , the curse of the 120 gallon has hopefully been lifted ! This tank has been filled , stood with fish for a month , filters then broke and taken down ,  then I came home one day to find my niece inside of the tank  trying to clean the glass for me ... scratched the glass to no extent . New glass was bought , the next day and the domestic comes to clean and knocks the broom against it and cracks it and then the rocks story lol 

• 1 month later...

Anyone have an idea of what this is growing on my lr , i have been searching on Google and on the group for about 2 days now .20180722_004556.thumb.jpg.b3b212c11a665886e3a762ab2603ad02.jpg

I have read through this thread and have a question. I found these little worms after the light turned off tonight.. Their are still idk how many more in the tank.. are they the harmless form? Help me please I am not very knowledgeable on pests and hitchhikers. (Sorry for awful cellphone pic) 

-Ava 

E82C42FD-2B9C-4B93-BA08-BC4AE5D2C327.jpeg

RayWhisperer
12 hours ago, BrentSA said:

Anyone have an idea of what this is growing on my lr , i have been searching on Google and on the group for about 2 days now .imageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031b20180722_004556.thumb.jpg.b3b212c11a665886e3a762ab2603ad02.jpg

Tough to tell from that. Perhaps some dying Neomeris algae, or snake polyps not doing so well?

11 minutes ago, AvaS said:

I have read through this thread and have a question. I found these little worms after the light turned off tonight.. Their are still idk how many more in the tank.. are they the harmless form? Help me please I am not very knowledgeable on pests and hitchhikers. (Sorry for awful cellphone pic) 

-Ava 

E82C42FD-2B9C-4B93-BA08-BC4AE5D2C327.jpeg

Common bristleworm. Harmless detrivores.

12 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Tough to tell from that. Perhaps some dying Neomeris algae, or snake polyps not doing so well .

I'm not so sure about the Neomeris , havnt had it come up anywhere else , will leave it if it is though.  Definitely not snake polyps though.  

Hey, just fished this guy out of my tank?? Is it one of the harmless or bad ones?? Can’t tell but creeps me out either way.. anything that will kill/ eat these guys?! 

8571E35D-0D8A-4155-8D90-6D2B32BCFF18.jpeg

A0D82678-EBF5-49B8-B5E5-9CC33B283F59.jpeg

Agree, that's the good kind.  No need to get rid of them.

I feed those to my RFA's when I catch them.  I figure, why not let the tank feed itself? :biggrin:

My pom pom crabs occasionally catch the little ones, and I've seen their little hairs stuck in my dottyback's nose, so I assume he gets some occasionally.  However, nothing I've seen actively hunts them to extinction.

They are harmless in small numbers but I would not suggest putting it back in , if there is one , there is more.  Wrasse eat these guys and keeps their numbers in check . 

My possum wrasse loves little bristleworms.  I've actually had to meet up with other locals to ASK for bristles to seed the damn tank again, twice, because he ate all the ones when they were small. lol.  Doesn't he know I'm just trying to give him a clean home!