Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE ULTIMATE ID THREAD! Before you post WHATS THIS? LOOK HERE!

Helfrichs Chick

28 minutes ago, Mdcollin said:

Anybody know what this is? I thought it was algae then it moved.   It's now under a rock, burgundy flat kinda like a mushroom with a white mouth??

20180819_082733.jpg

20180819_082750.jpg

Need a better pic. 

Could it be a frilly limpet?

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to figure out what these delicate filter feeders are.  They break if you just touch the tube.  They are growing all over the back of this rock.  Any ideas?

(Baby RFA on the top right of the pic btw.   Just noticed that!)

30849846328_85e10f6eda_b.jpg

If you’re looking for a specific species, I doubt you’ll get that. Perhaps the genus of Bispira would be as good a place as any, to start. Most folks just call em cluster dusters, because they are a cluster of feather dusters. While true cluster dusters are Bispiria, I don’t think yours are the same species. Regardless, they are a cool HH, enjoy em.

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Janine Pignatone said:

Anyone know what the critter is that is below my mushroom. He just appeared today!  Is he good or is he bad?  Please help!  I posetd the best pics I can get. 

FDC63CD0-05BD-4C5B-BAAC-293DE7EE2E1F.png

11BF886A-DC68-4D8C-AD8A-7FDB725B5598.jpeg

Where is it in relation to the baby mushroom?  It’s hard to tell much from those pics. 

1 hour ago, Janine Pignatone said:

It is the clear tube

You may want to try and take a few more pics.

The only thing I can make out is a mushroom with a baby mushroom underneath. I don’t see a “tube.” 

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone help me identify what these tube things are growing off the sides of my frag plugs? They're all over the tank, and are hard (feel like calcified coral). Thanks!

20181009_104342.jpg

20181009_104326.jpg

20181009_104259.jpg

20181009_104243.jpg

1 hour ago, Imaflei said:

Can anyone help me identify what these tube things are growing off the sides of my frag plugs? They're all over the tank, and are hard (feel like calcified coral). Thanks!

20181009_104342.jpg

20181009_104326.jpg

20181009_104259.jpg

20181009_104243.jpg

Vermetid Snail. 

• 2 weeks later...
A Little Blue

Went thru 22pages and didn’t find an exact match. I don’t think these are monti eating nudis but then again, there is more than one kind of those n the monti eating family. 

C29B60EF-F0B4-456E-A14D-053BEA9C6512.thumb.jpeg.7a3309f4c6d6ecd18d7a37ac35d6924e.jpeg

Did you find them on or near your monti's?  Nudi's generally hang out right on or right next to their food source and they generally have a body style / coloring to match in a general way.  

99% of the time if you find a nudi in your tank it's bad news bears and you need to start sucking them out with a siphon or baster, as well as checking whatever corals you found them on or near to scrape eggs.  Dipping can also help.

A Little Blue
17 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

Did you find them on or near your monti's?  Nudi's generally hang out right on or right next to their food source and they generally have a body style / coloring to match in a general way.  

99% of the time if you find a nudi in your tank it's bad news bears and you need to start sucking them out with a siphon or baster, as well as checking whatever corals you found them on or near to scrape eggs.  Dipping can also help.

I noticed one of my Caps had what looks like tissue lost/bite marks. I dipped it and found these guys. Never seen them before on montis tho. Monti sits on top of a small rubble LR. 

I have seen monti nudis in the past, these don’t look like any I have seen before. Dark (where the mouth is) part of this guy will raise up like a cobra snake. Kinda like a defense stand or something. Coral RX will make them numb and motionless but after transferring them back to clean saltwater they seem to recover. Just for the sake of an experiment I dip them again in Coral RX for 20-30mins this time and it appears to kill them for good. No idea what these are still tho. 

Didn't see this in anything thus far. Currently a relative noob with my husband, getting back into reefing...we had an 80g reef tank but it's been a few years. To scratch the hobby itch we decided to set up a Coralife 16g LED nano cube until we move and can do another larger tank. 

Purchased live rock, one with an interesting blueish color (I think the rock itself). Unfortunately we recieved an aiptasia on one rock, but we're in the process of taking care of that.

ID help needed: These things are in the bluish rock. The single tubes appear to be possibly a type of sponge? Not sure what the larger peice is, it looks like a small mess of criss-crossing clear tubes, if that makes sense.

I've included a photo of the rock as a whole, the single tube shaped item, and the bubblier shaped items. 

Thoughts? I appreciate it 🙂 

74CEEAB6-31B9-4928-BFAB-A1F6E9E960F0.jpeg

CEE46D36-D211-4071-BEEA-212FC0026543.jpeg

8835476F-23B0-4C04-AE4A-FF92CF9D8DBD.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Heyro said:

Didn't see this in anything thus far. Currently a relative noob with my husband, getting back into reefing...we had an 80g reef tank but it's been a few years. To scratch the hobby itch we decided to set up a Coralife 16g LED nano cube until we move and can do another larger tank. 

Purchased live rock, one with an interesting blueish color (I think the rock itself). Unfortunately we recieved an aiptasia on one rock, but we're in the process of taking care of that.

ID help needed: These things are in the bluish rock. The single tubes appear to be possibly a type of sponge? Not sure what the larger peice is, it looks like a small mess of criss-crossing clear tubes, if that makes sense.

I've included a photo of the rock as a whole, the single tube shaped item, and the bubblier shaped items. 

Could be a sponge or Tunicates. Tunicates will react when disturbed, a sponge will not. 

17 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Could be a sponge or Tunicates. Tunicates will react when disturbed, a sponge will not. 

Just touched the larger mass with my cleaner handle and it's hard - but looks like there's a bubble in the top as if it would be soft. No reaction. 

Can't reach the ones under the rock. I'm not sure!!

Thank you!

HELP what the HECK is this?!? I didn’t see it in the sticky post please help I got this one trapped but there (at least) is one more in my life rock somewhere 

5ECEF733-5C71-4C76-B02F-E80ED6FE55C5.jpeg

2 hours ago, Firefly4 said:

HELP what the HECK is this?!? I didn’t see it in the sticky post please help I got this one trapped but there (at least) is one more in my life rock somewhere 

5ECEF733-5C71-4C76-B02F-E80ED6FE55C5.jpeg

Medusa Worm possibly. 

4 hours ago, Heyro said:

Pic 1. We really need a better pic. 

Pic 2 . Honestly, I would have thought tunicate by the picture. And, it still may be. If you just touched the part that looks like it has a bubble in it. That just may be a dead tube worms tube, with tunicates growing around it. Try the other masses, and see if they are softer. 

Pic 3 . Most likely dead/dying sponge. Of course, I could be way off on that, too. LED lights tend to show a lot of blue where there is little, or no blue under normal lighting. Check it out with an incandescent flashlight. If it’s blue, not purple or white, it’s probably the sponge. Purple or white, probably living or dead coralline algae.