Coral Vue Hydros

B-Dare's 40 Breeder

bdare

Ben, I'm very impressed of how your 40B has taken off. You've done a wonderful job sir.

Kev

Holy smokes dude! I thought you were in the pen or something. ;) Thanks for the compliments and I'm glad to see you are still lurking around!

Looking good!!!

Thanks!

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bdare

• glennr1978

• nanoty

• aquakevem

cool fish Ben!! why the DSB?? how much ROX and GFO are you running in that reactor? I got a little carried away with the GFO and had one of my purple montis bleach a little bit. It doesn't look too bad though, and I'm hoping it will make a quick recovery.

You can copy my fish, but I'm copying your dosing routine (starting to it seems anyway). Currently aside from the 2 part (and Mg) I'm dosing potassium and AA's. The blues in my SPS have gotten much brighter. Do you recommend anything else??

New FTS soon??? Please?

btw, regardless of what others may say, good call on the small yellow tang. i've had mine for quite a while now and it's still doing just fine in my tank.

cool fish Ben!! why the DSB?? how much ROX and GFO are you running in that reactor? I got a little carried away with the GFO and had one of my purple montis bleach a little bit. It doesn't look too bad though, and I'm hoping it will make a quick recovery.

You can copy my fish, but I'm copying your dosing routine (starting to it seems anyway). Currently aside from the 2 part (and Mg) I'm dosing potassium and AA's. The blues in my SPS have gotten much brighter. Do you recommend anything else??

New FTS soon??? Please?

btw, regardless of what others may say, good call on the small yellow tang. i've had mine for quite a while now and it's still doing just fine in my tank.

I decided to go with the DSB in the sump for a few reasons.

1) The flow is that section was really slow. I was getting a lot of dietrus build up and it was hard to clean. By adding the sand, the flow is quicker because there's less room for the water to settle.

2) I figured by adding sand I could put a small CUC in the sump to help keep things cleaner. I would get algae on the glass etc. Hopefully some ceriths will clean the algae and perhaps remove some dietrus.

3) I know it's small, but maybe I can get some denitrification....

The level you see in the ractor is exactly half GFO and half ROX. I use soup spoons from the kitchen and spoon out 4-5 scoops of each.

With regards to dosing you are doing exacly what I am. The only other thing I put in my tank from time to time is iron and iodine, but that is RARE.

I decided to go with the DSB in the sump for a few reasons.

1) The flow is that section was really slow. I was getting a lot of dietrus build up and it was hard to clean. By adding the sand, the flow is quicker because there's less room for the water to settle.

2) I figured by adding sand I could put a small CUC in the sump to help keep things cleaner. I would get algae on the glass etc. Hopefully some ceriths will clean the algae and perhaps remove some dietrus.

3) I know it's small, but maybe I can get some denitrification....

The level you see in the ractor is exactly half GFO and half ROX. I use soup spoons from the kitchen and spoon out 4-5 scoops of each.

With regards to dosing you are doing exacly what I am. The only other thing I put in my tank from time to time is iron and iodine, but that is RARE.

Cool, thanks!! So how 'bout that FTS????

• 1 month later...

My tank had a birthday so I thought I'd share some pictures for comparison...

In the beginning...

DSCN7086.jpg

DSCN7228.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Today...

Picture1490.jpg

Picture1493.jpg

Picture1495.jpg

Picture1496.jpg

Left side

Picture1512.jpg

Right Side

Picture1514.jpg

Picture1481.jpg

Picture1484.jpg

Picture1487.jpg

Picture1501.jpg

Picture1509.jpg

Picture1511.jpg

Edited by bdare
  • 3 weeks later...

We really like how you did the progression pics of your tank. It gave my daughter an idea of how her tank will look in a year. Keep up the great work. Your tank is one of the great 40's. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Had my first disaster with the tank...

Last Friday when I woke up to go to work I went in the room where the tank is and it was DEAD silent. Everything was off. Quick investigative work led me to the GFCI outlet which had been tripped. I kept pushing the button, but it would trip immediately. I did this a number of times.

Next I pulled both plugs out. One goes to a power strip and the other to the DC8 for my AcJr. I pushed the reset button again and the outlet was OK. Since the DC8 is the most important I plugged in it first. Everything stayed on. SWEET! So I plug in the power strip. BOOM. Trips the GFCI again.

Now I'm assuming there's something wrong with the GFCI and I'm in a rush to go to work so I ran to the garage, grabbed an extension cord and plugged in the powerstrip to a plug against the wall on the other side of the room. Everything was on and running so I went off to work.

As part of my ritual when I return home I went into the office to check on the tank. I was greeted by the smell of burning electronics. UH OH! THIS can't be good. I immediately noticed the MH was off and the temp on the chiller read 83. Then I looked at the controller. The temp there said 81. I soon realized the problem had to be somewhere between the sump and the chiller.... And what would that be???

The pump that feeds the chiller. It was an old CAP pump I had as the return from my 36 bow. In a rush to setup my chiller I grabbed that pump. Well... it burnt out and sat spewing funk the whole time I was at work.

I removed the pump. It smelled like ass. Went back to the tank. NOTHING had polyps. Evertything was bleached. The clams / blastos and zoas were all closed up. After shedding a tear I burst into action.

I ended up doing 2 x 5 gallon water changes that night and another 5 the next day. I also replaced the GFO and Carbon.

Things have been GRADUALLY imporoving. Although the polyp extension is not back to normal there is some on everything but my orange monti cap. All my SPS are pretty much WHITE or VERY close to it. Nothing has lost any flesh so I'm feeling pretty good about that. I'm still doing water changes and my fingers are crossed...

I'll keep you updated. :(

Lesson learned: Trust your GFCI to let you know when something is wrong!

Edited by bdare
OMG Ben, I hope everything recovers. It could have been worst I guess.

Thanks man! I don't think I'm out of the woods yet, but I'm hopeful. Much more so than I was over the weekend. This weekend I was ready to tear it down and quit.

Thanks man! I don't think I'm out of the woods yet, but I'm hopeful. Much more so than I was over the weekend. This weekend I was ready to tear it down and quit.

Dam Ben, that sucks! I'm sure I could scrape together a nice little frag pack for you if necessary. Let me know.

Dibs on the Eheim and skimmer, lol.

• 2 weeks later...