Cultivated Reef

MY BioCube BC29 Picture update of new light

JCBioCube29

JUST got my algea cleaing crew. :D:happydance: I also did my ten gallon water change. I will post my parameters later

Live stock

25 snails cool looking shells

10 small blue leg crabs

2 big red hermit crabs

2 green crabs

2 regular red leg hemit crab

2 regular orange leg hermit crab

My Tank

IMG_1091.jpg

one of my big red hermit crab

IMG_1095.jpg

red and oorange crab

IMG_1107.jpg

Kool pic

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

My favorite snail

IMG_1104.jpg

nano fission protein skimmer still collects yellow pee but leaves on the cup and sponge allot of Cr@P

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Finally gave in and bought myself a Fire fish goby at my LFS for $10.00 great buy.

my parameters are

Amonia 0

Nitrite .25

nitrate 20

calcium 460

phos 0

Will post picture later

I had to remove on og my rio 90 from the tank. It was to much movement the poor could not enjoy his new home

Not my best pictures but her is my first fish

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

Cool looking snails and hermits, nice choices

Do you know what kind of snails they are, I really like the orange shell'd ones and the really spikey ones.

Also those orange legged hermits look sweet!

Very Nice!!

Thanks TUDIZZLE

I really do not know what type of snail they are. My entire cleaing cruw was $40.00.. pretty cheap. and all the snails have coroline on the shells :)

wow thats a bigger army of crabs u got there..lol pretty cool looking ones too.. you defintely wont have algae trouble... i only have 4 hermies in my BC

I agree....awesome looking clean up crew. I really like the coloration of the orange ones and also the spikey shell that the other one has as well. The tank looks great and congrats on the firefish. Although they aren't necessarily the most active fish in the world, mine scoots all over the place and is always right front and center.

Thanks for all the comments. Last night the fire fish ate and when I woke up this morning I could not find him. Lights were still off. I guess he found a little secret cave that do not know about.

And when they really get freaked out, they will actually bury themselves in the sand. That's what mine did when I moved the tank last week.

Well todat I got home and my fire fish ate the pellets i gave him :) But on a sad note I found one of my green crabs DEAD :(

when I leave to work my lights are off when i get home is when i can feed the fishes basically once a day is this ok feading for the fishes?????????/

Feeding once per day is okay. Even less often is okay. Are you sure the crab is not just a molt? They look the same as the real thing.

That Funny it was a real one. thank for the reponse. right now the fire fish eats about 3 pellets and then stops. Anyone have a number on how much the average fish will eat.?????

Marine51 so far all i is like a yellow pee. But ;look at the froth i got today.. what you think

IMG_1035-1.jpg

JCbio, I'm shocked you got the skimmer to work as well as what your showing me. Looks great. Is it still doing the trick?

Believe me I am so impressed also. the key is to keep the water level very constant, cleaning and/or replacing the bubble pad.... it works for me.

Yesturday i added to my tank A cleaner shrimp and a clown

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

Last night got home and my tank had bubbles from the main pump I really hate the elbow attachement any sugestions to make it a more tighter fit......

A general comment I do not know how many of clean yout sump pumps i cleaned my stock pump yesturday and the hose it was so dirty i am going to clean my pump every two months.......

Clown looks nice. As far as the stock pump I don't remember much about it's configuration but I do know I replaced it with a Rio 6hf and the outer cover comes off of it and it has a sponge like material in the water input cavity. This material is there to grab the gunk before it gets into the impeller assembly. I clean this once per month as it does its job and gets really dirty. You may also look at the floor of the chambers. About once every two months I have been using the tube I siphon water out with at water change time to clean the bottom of the chambers. I remove everything from chambers #1 and #3 and use the tube as a vacuum to get the gunk off of the floor.

Thanks for the reply I am going to do what you do in cleaning the sump. I started to place a filter pad infornt of the pump about a week ago and I have to clean that every three days. Once again thank for all the help.

Do you think it is worth changing the pump to a Rio 6hf what was your expirience in the difference

If I remember the stock pump is 243gph and the Rio is 350gph. So added flow through the filter area, and back into the tank. In my tank I have the Sapphire aquatics skimmer in chamber #2 and the change from the stock pump to the Rio increased the skimmability(?? :unsure: :unsure:) of the skimmer. I also have LocLine with a Y split of the end of the return and the added gph helped to increase the flow to each nozzle.

I am going to upgrade my pump hopfully this week to the Rio6HF, with the increase in flow i might remove my rio 90 in the tank so the fishes will have more space in the back of the rocks i already have the JBJ UV that gives me up to an extra 145 GPH.

Currently i have stocjk 265 + rio 90 85gph + UV 145 + Powersweep powerhead 160 = 655gph

With Rio6hf 350 + UV 145 + Powersweep powerhead 160 = 655gph

I get more space. Plus i am more of a fish person i am just going to have a cupple of mushrooms and Polyps. For me Your tank is already to much corals..... do not get me wrong It look Incredible i am just more of a fish person...

Am I corect in saying that the more corals you have the more water movment you will need?????????

There is flow and then there is turnover. Turnover is more about passing all your tank water thru filter mediums, be it biological or mechanical or a combination of the two. For that reason alone I would recommend ungrading the stock pump to the rio6 HF. Then there is the overall flow in your display.

Different corals need different flow the same goes with fish.

Adjust your tank flow to the type of corals and fish you are interested in maintaining in your tank.

To a point yes on the flow. SPS like and need way more flow than LPS and softies.

Everyone has their own tastes and desires for their slice of the reef. No offense taken. Be aware though that I do have 5 fish in this tank. 2 occy's 1 blue assessor, 1 watchman goby and 1 lawnmower blenny. I believe it is all about looking for the fish you want and to then determine the bioload and room needed to give them a good home. That being said I know that one day the occy's will get too big and have to go elsewhere. It may happen eventually with the blenny also but I will deal with it as it comes up. My goal is to keep smaller fish, less bioload, less room needed. I skim pretty heavily, feed sparingly, and use filter media full time so my water is always high quality. (sound of me knocking on wood)

Archived