Top Shelf Aquatics

MY BioCube BC29 Picture update of new light

JCBioCube29

Glad you figured it out, sometimes the littlest things can drive me crazy.

I just removed the whole 90 degreee elbow and ran a new hose straight from the pump. The 90 degree elbow just slows down your flow and it means one less seam that could leak.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got my Live rock from my LFS (strictly Fish in Miami, FL) wich i have been a client of them for over 10 years. Please let me know what you guys think of the rocks. The rocks are all full of life i am so surprised. The rocks had no stinky smell to them i think they might be partially cured. I hope the are...

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

I have a little question. I bought my rocks from my LFS and they had them in a tank with full lights ( think they might be cured). should I keep my lights on ( the atinics) for about 4 hours a day.... until the tank cycles. Please help.. How often should i check for amonia and the nitrates. ???????

Tonight I am going to start on my modification to the BC hood to pass the hose for the ATO system. I am going to keep the ATO water inside the stand. I will take pictures and post later this week.

Most people say to cycle with the lights out, but I did mine with the lights on, whatever

Test as often as you like but the algae blooms (browm diatom then green algae) is going to be a good indicator of how your tank is cycling.

By the way which ATO did you go with?

Thanks TUDIZZLE. I bought the JBJ ATO. I am so excited about my rocks cannot wait until they cure so i can get my algea eaters and fishes, and corals.....

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

The aquascape looks great. I cycled with 1 hour of light a day. I dont think it really matters. I wouldnt bother testing your water untill you are ready to stock it. Or check it after 2 weeks to see how it is going.

My tank cycled in under 14 days, but I had 40 pounds of cured LR and 30 lbs of LS. Dont know if it mattered though.

Good Morning. Want to thank everyone for there help on my post. On the nano fission skimmer I am getting alot of Froth. but no the dark color (see pics below). Lets see later on this week thia will be the test to see if this thing really works.... ;) I just got my rocks a day ago ( new by load).

Geo thanks for the advice. I am going to cyle my tank with 4 hours a day of atinic and maybe two hours a day with full light. I think this is needed b/c of all the life that are on the rocks (i have about 25 lb.) that i got, every day i find new things comming out of the rock. At the same time i do not want to give to much so that if i get an algea bloom it will not be out of control. I am also going todo water chages once a week.

Can anyone confirm with me. The tank will be cycled when my amonia is 0 and nitrtires are 0 and nitrate are like 5. Ma I correct in saying thisn ????

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

Yeah you should be testing for ammonia first. If you really want to go through a true nitrogen cycle, which everyone should do unless you're seeding from a matured tank, then your tank needs to go thru an ammonia spike. I started my third SW tank 3 weeks ago, a nano(which is why im on this forum), and it still hasn't completed its cycle.

----Do not do a water change until you you are into the nitrate part of your cycle!

Good info from Chipsreef. Yes your cycle is complete when ammonia spikes, goes to zero, then nitrites spike and go to zero. Your lighting schedule should be fine. You really don't need any during the cycle. I am now of the opinion that during the cycle you may want to do water changes when ammonia starts to climb. This will extend your cycle time but may in fact save any of the life that has come in on your rocks from dying from the ammonia. While this is not a proven thing, I am watching with interest Mr. A's setup and am now agreeing with this plan.

Just sayin, my opinion for what it is worth.

Just added the JBJ Auto top off (ATO)

Once again thank you for all the help. I am going to do the water changes during the cycle.. Below are pictures of the JBJ ATO i just installed and i also added a rio 180 in the tank . A picture of the star fish that came out this morning. (i have seen about 3 of these star fish, 6-7 feather ducters and other things that come out at night.)

I removed the hydor reflector it really slowed done the water flow. do not get me wrong it works but you need to use it with a very power full pump. I get more water movement with powersweep.......

Drille the back of the BC29 hood to pass through the hose of the ATO

IMG_1027.jpg

Hose and sensor in chamber 3

IMG_1029.jpg

controller

IMG_1030.jpg

Water resivour with rio 180 pump and ATO sensor all inside the bc stand

IMG_1031.jpg

the star fish it is white with black stripes

IMG_1025.jpg

I finally saw the JBJ ATO at work last light and I have to say I am very very happy with the product. It works perfectly. For the price it is perfect.......

Udate on the nano Fission still get yellow pee but when i toke out the bubble reducing pad it was all brown and smelled like s#$^&. in a way i guess it works. I am more about water changes that skimming in small tanks believe me when i had my 75gl. I loved the protein skimmer!!!!!!!!!@!!!!!!.

I cannot wait for my rocks to cure my LFS told me my rocks were semi cured. I will be the judge on that.

NOte it looks more brown and dirty in person

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

ARe you still running bio-balls in chamber 2? the pics are great, I will have to pick your brain when I buy my JBJ ATO. But from what I have read, it doesnt help the Tunze skimmer work better, so I may save my money.

I am currenly running bioballs in the 2 chamber. Note on the ATO you have to use the Rio 180 the 90 was not powerfull enough. How long will i run the bioballs i donot know.

Picture from last week when i got the rocks

IMG_1020.jpg

today one week later. note i have lost the green color from the rock on the left. I use a power head every day in the morning and at night to remove alot of debri (sand) from the top of the rocks. Today i counted 6 feather dusters and 4 bristle star fish and about 4 bristle worms....

IMG_1038.jpg

paramaters

Temp 78-80

PH 8.4

Amonia 4

Nitrite 5

Nitrate 160

Calcium 440

I think I am doing ok in curing the rocks please let me know. :)fingerscrossed:unsure:

Archived