ReefCleaners.org

MY BioCube BC29 Picture update of new light

JCBioCube29

Believe me I think Chillers are the way to go but they cost some money. The fans put me back about $29.00 at drfostersmith.com. Right now this is working for me perfectly. and I have extra Money. I did the modification yesturday. Today In Miami it is very hot I will see what the temp is when i get home.

got home today after my modification to the hood and my temp was 73.5. My house temp was 77.5. This is really cooling my tank.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
got home today after my modification to the hood and my temp was 73.5. My house temp was 77.5. This is really cooling my tank.

Awesome man, good work. Are the fans loud when on? How do they compare to the lighting fans?

Compared to the new fans that came with the lighting upgrade the Quad fans i use for cooling the tank are much quiter. For being four fans they make much less noise than what i thought they would. By the way i have the fans sucking the air out from they back for two reasons. 1) all the pumps are in the back of the tank, 2) I avoid the fans from blowing it to the tank dusk that is in the air. Right now with all the lights on the tank reads 73.3 WOW all this cooling for about $30.00

IMG_0945.jpg

Interesting solution to a heat problem, I guess after drillning there is no turning back.

I'm lucky to have my tank in the basement where temps stay constant, I do not even get 1 degree of temp swing thru the day or night. But with my lids closed I still get approx 10-11oz of evaporation a day. I can only imagine how much evaporation you get.

I would say an ATO is in your near future, to protect your sweet new corals from swinging salinity changes.

Interesting solution to a heat problem, I guess after drillning there is no turning back.

I'm lucky to have my tank in the basement where temps stay constant, I do not even get 1 degree of temp swing thru the day or night. But with my lids closed I still get approx 10-11oz of evaporation a day. I can only imagine how much evaporation you get.

I would say an ATO is in your near future, to protect your sweet new corals from swinging salinity changes.

A lot of people sell their stock hoods when they go topless (lol) or use a different lighting setup. I had to make 2 holes in the back of mine for the chiller in + return lines. BTW, I installed the nano fissionskimmer in chamber 3 today! It's already foaming up! Check out my thread for more info

5.jpg

Nice job on installing the nano fission. AND YES the evaporation is about 20 oz. a day. I gues it could be worse. Good luck to all. keep me posted if you get the nano fission so skim. Due to my current bussiness i still cannot go and get my live rock :(

Nice mod of the front part of the hood....I think it looks really cool honestly :) Although I am running my BC 29 topless with a Sunpod, I ended up getting a similar fan unit by Aquatek and I have it blowing across the surface of my tank. Although I'm sure a chiller would be a lot easier to have and run, the fans alone keep mine, like yours, running nice and cool. Actually, if I have them pointing down too much, they cool it off WAY too much.

How much are you having to top off each day? I have an ATO on mine but evaporation surprisingly isn't all that much even with halides running.

Looks like things are coming along great with the tank and you are finding your way nice and easy with modding, etc. Great job.

Nice and cool for sure man...what temp are you planning on running it at?

Glad to hear that the mod and fans are working for you.

I want to run it at about 74. Right now during the day it is 74 -73.5 with all lights on and at night when i turn off the fans it goes to 76. If i leave the fans on with no lights at night it goes to 72. is this ok..... SHOULD I keep the fans on at all times. so at night it goes to 72 and during the day to 74.

thanks.

Believe me I think Chillers are the way to go but they cost some money. The fans put me back about $29.00 at drfostersmith.com. Right now this is working for me perfectly. and I have extra Money. I did the modification yesturday. Today In Miami it is very hot I will see what the temp is when i get home.

Great Fan...wonder if they have it in lfs in my area

My temp of my tank is 72 at night and up to 74.5 during the day is this a good temp or is it to cold. Please let me know. I have my heater set at 75.

I keep my tank at 78 to 80. But that is just me. I dont have a chiller and it is hot durring the summer. Even with the AC on and set at 74 the tank is about 79.

I am trying to draft mod plans for my stock hood. I want to install the 4-set fans you use, but mount them in the hood, move the power switches, and do the 4.36 lighting upgrade.

The fan would then sit directly above the lights. What do you think? Would it work? Would the light reflectors block all the flow? Would the light shine out through the fans?

That sound like a great idea I do not know about blocking the air but the light s will shine though and if the air is pushed into the lighting cover you are only cooling the lights..

I did a new modification today. I decided to drill holes like i did in the front now on the back cover also. WHY. to much air movement = to cold= more water evaporating i currently go through a gallon a day way to much evaporation. I hope this stops the evaporation and still keeps my tank cool I am still keeping the fans over the back lid. I am aiming for temps of 75-77 . I did the modification 2 hours ago and the tank is at a steady 76.6 - 76-2 with the heater set at 75

Pic 1: front hood PIC 2,3 are the rear

IMG_0947.jpga>IMG_0950.jpg

The modification worked. The temp this morning was 75-75.3 and the water evaporation was very minimal. today i left all the lights when I get home I will post the temp and amount of water evaporation.

When i got home yesturday the temp on the tank was a nice 77.5. I think I resovled all my heat issues in my tank. At night the lowest was 75 and during the day the highest was 77.9. :)

As to the evaporation it is now about 15 oz. every 12 hours :)

i would turn your heater up to 77 so the temp. stay constant. (less stress on inhabitants)

that awsome to keep the temp that low by the way... my runns at a steady 78-79

I just ordered from Nano tuners it was on sale the JBJ auto top off. I cannot wait to get it no more worries of adding water to the tank on a daily bais. I will install the reserve water inside the BC29 stand. I hope to get this by mid next week and hopefully have it all set up.

I just ordered from Nano tuners it was on sale the JBJ auto top off. I cannot wait to get it no more worries of adding water to the tank on a daily bais. I will install the reserve water inside the BC29 stand. I hope to get this by mid next week and hopefully have it all set up.

Nice deal... wonder how much is the shipping cost to canada. Have to look that up...

Just got home and my tank was full of bubbles not from the skimmer but from the pump. has anyone had this problem. I figure it must be the connection b/w the tube and the return to the tank, tomorrow night i will try to put plumbers tapes on all coonetions i hope this is the solution.

Just got home and my tank was full of bubbles not from the skimmer but from the pump. has anyone had this problem. I figure it must be the connection b/w the tube and the return to the tank, tomorrow night i will try to put plumbers tapes on all coonetions i hope this is the solution.

This problem seems to happen when the filter in chamber 1 gets dirty and slows down flow into chamber 3 causing the return pump to suck up air. Removing the false bottom and doing the filter mod seems to eliminate these problems. Hope this helps, if this wasn't the problem let us know and how you fixed it.

found the propblem to my extra bubbles in the tank. The return hose that gets conected to the eblow to be connected to the back of the chamber 3 was nor a good fit I used plumbers tape and there went the bubbles.....

Archived