pookstreet's 400 gallon system!

pookstreet

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OH YAH.

That's what i'm talking about.

I'm green with skimmer envy.

LOL.........I used to be envious but that soon went away when I found out the prices. Then again, this thing does kick some serious arse :lol:

Air inlet restrictors

IMG_0817.jpg

Bubbles inside the chamber

IMG_0824.jpg

Outlet dumps into a filter sock to control microbubbles

IMG_0825.jpg

Holy moly Kenny, that tank is really looking great!! i was gonna inquire about the heat and the tank being in the garage, then I read down page 5 and saw the garage door insulation project. ;) Are you still planning to run a chiller on the tank, or is the garage pretty decent temp wise now? I know how brutal the heat can get where you live being out that way from time to time... :( And forget skimmer envy, I have tank envy!! :P

Thanks Phiz........I do have the Deltec Eco Cooler ready to go but not plumbed in yet. So far, I don't have a need for it. I'll keep it as a back-up though. I still don't have the MH's so I won't know the true heat load probably until next summer since it's cooling down already. The garage is a lot cooler now, only got up to the high 80's when it was 105+ outside. Before the insulation, it was in the mid to high 90's. With a couple of fans on a temp controller, the tank is staying at ~77 degrees.

Thanks Phiz........I do have the Deltec Eco Cooler ready to go but not plumbed in yet. So far, I don't have a need for it. I'll keep it as a back-up though. I still don't have the MH's so I won't know the true heat load probably until next summer since it's cooling down already. The garage is a lot cooler now, only got up to the high 80's when it was 105+ outside. Before the insulation, it was in the mid to high 90's. With a couple of fans on a temp controller, the tank is staying at ~77 degrees.

Your before sounds like my apartment at the height of our heatwave a couple weeks ago! :o

Your before sounds like my apartment at the height of our heatwave a couple weeks ago! :o

Ouch..........I've been in some hot places but those 2 weeks were simply insane. Although it's still nothing compared to temp in the 90's and humidity at 99% :lol: You'd wish it would just rain b/c it'll at least wash the sweat off you.

Nice work!

What is that insulation called, can you get it at Home Deopt? Looks pretty thin. Also what did you cover it with (white boards), is that part of the insulation? I have my prop tank in the gameroom/garage and have trouble with temperature fluctuation.

Nice work!

What is that insulation called, can you get it at Home Deopt? Looks pretty thin. Also what did you cover it with (white boards), is that part of the insulation? I have my prop tank in the gameroom/garage and have trouble with temperature fluctuation.

Thanks. The silver insulation is call Reflectix and is sold at both HD and Lowes. It is pretty thin, just 3/8" or so, but very effective at blocking out radiant heat. The white board is 1" styrofoam sheets that I cut to size to fit inside each panel for additional insulation. And the silver tape is foil tape that you can find in the A/C ducting aisle.

Yup, for a couple days there the apartment was 96F inside when I'd come home from work at 5pm... Thank goodness for central air A/C... And thank goodness I have a chiller too.

I was in Missouri a few summers ago when it was about 907F outside with near 100% humidity for a 110F heat index. The 125F dry heat I experienced in Laughlin last year has nothing on 110F humidity heat in the mid-west.

I grew up in New Orleans so I know what REAL humidity is like :D Didn't know better until I moved to CA and realized that I didn't have to drip sweat the minute I stepped outside of an air conditioned environment during the summer.

I grew up in New Orleans so I know what REAL humidity is like :D Didn't know better until I moved to CA and realized that I didn't have to drip sweat the minute I stepped outside of an air conditioned environment during the summer.

haha, but now we know what a turkey feels when put into an oven. ;)

LOL.........I used to be envious but that soon went away when I found out the prices. Then again, this thing does kick some serious arse :lol:

Air inlet restrictors

IMG_0817.jpg

Bubbles inside the chamber

IMG_0824.jpg

Outlet dumps into a filter sock to control microbubbles

IMG_0825.jpg

noice........do you have any fish stocking plans besides the watanabe pair?

Heck yeah I have a stock list. I just hope the skimmer can handle it :lol:

Watanabei pair

True Japanese Swallowtail pair (if I can find them)

Yellow tangs x3

Purple tang

Blond naso tang

Spotted Yellow Eye tang (already have)

Powder blue tang

Achilles tang

School of small sized Anthias (perhaps Princess Anthias)

Goldflake angel (still debating b/c of reefsafe issues)

Picasso clown pair (or I may just move my Onyx pair from the work tank)

Interruptus angel (wishlist)

I had to double take, I read above initially as "wannabe pair..." :haha:

Hey now. EZ may have his personal preferences, but I ain't playin'........ -_-

Hey now. EZ may have his personal preferences, but I ain't playin'........ -_-

-_-

i think you should get a crosshatch pair, orange shoulder tang, school of bartlett anthias, laboutei wrasse, and a STINGRAY

Actually, I am seriously thinking about the Crosshatch pair ;) I'll probably wait and see how the tank is stocked before deciding. Not too crazy about the oragne shoulder. Have you seen the Princess Anthias? They are nice and stay very small. I could have a big school of them :lol: I may also consider some nice fairy wrasses later on depending on stocking level.

I think YOU should get the stingray. I can guarantee you that it won't jump.

Actually, I am seriously thinking about the Crosshatch pair ;) I'll probably wait and see how the tank is stocked before deciding. Not too crazy about the oragne shoulder. Have you seen the Princess Anthias? They are nice and stay very small. I could have a big school of them :lol: I may also consider some nice fairy wrasses later on depending on stocking level.

I think YOU should get the stingray. I can guarantee you that it won't jump.

hmmm. maybe i will...they're definitely cheaper than some corals!

Took a couple of FTS last night. Most of the frags littering the sandbed will be housed in the 150 gallon frag tub when it's plumbed in. The lighting is still temporary. Waiting for the MH pendants and ballasts to arrive.

DSCN9113.jpg

IMG_0817-1.jpg

Archived