Top Shelf Aquatics

pookstreet's 400 gallon system!

pookstreet

I finally got my dream tank!!! Now here comes the expensive part of getting all the equipment :huh:

Still in the process of acquiring a return pump (Sequence Reeflo Dart) and a couple of 1" Sea Swirls so I can get the tank/sump plumbed. Once that's done, the system will be filled and ready for the cycle.

Anyways, here are some basic info on the tank. It's made out of 3/4" acrylic all around. Dims are 72"Lx36"Wx27"H for a total volume of 300 gallons. I love the big footprint for aquascaping purposes. I've always wanted a wider tank so I can have more space in front of the rocks. The tank has an external overlow on one end (originally built as a room divider). Right now, I am thinking of 2 rock islands, with the larger one backed up against the side with the overflow.

Enough typing for now. I'll provide more details later on flow, lighting, etc. Here are some pix :P

DSCN8398.jpg

DSCN8400.jpg

DSCN8399.jpg

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wait. 300g is nano for you?

is this going to stay in the garage?

LOL.......yeah, I still call it a nano just so you don't ban me :P I am used to small tanks so what's another one. It's just an extra 0.

It's staying in the garage, pretty much in the same exact spot. I figured that if there ever was a flood, nothing will be affected. Plus, the Mrs. said there wasn't enough room inside anyways. And oh yeah, she has volunteered me to park outside from now on.

Thats sweet Kenny! Now your stuff has even more room to grow like crazy haha!

Thanks Adam. They are dying for some extra room to grow.

Damn. I need to buy some property asap, so that i may consider a 300g system nano. :D

Yes, homeownership does have it's perks :lol:

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Ok, here are some more details on what I have planned for the system.

120 gallon acrylic sump. Just need to route out part of the top bracing, put in a few baffles, and drill for the return.

GEO 618 Ca reactor

MRC Kalk reactor for additional Ca/Alk supplementation

H&S A200 2xEheim 1260 skimmer

Flow:

Reeflow Dart for the return through 2 1" Sea Swirls at the opposing corners from the overflow and 1 WavySea on the bracing near the overflow. All three will be outfitted with eductors.

1 x Tunze WaveBox

I am trying to stay away from additional powerheads but may add Tunze Streams or NanoStreams as needed.

Lighting:

3 x Phoenix 250W bulbs in Lumenarc Minis driven by e-ballasts

4 x 6' T5HO's overdriven with IceCap e-ballasts in individual reflectors (2 in front of and 2 behind the Lumenarcs) for supplemental lighting and dusk/dawn effects.

May consider buying a controller of some sort but still undecided.

Portable power generator for emergencies and power outages.

Will also consider a chiller if fans can't cool the system sufficiently.

please adopt me.

(i'll live in the garage!)

i already wanted to be adopted, but he lives like...in Nevada

i already wanted to be adopted, but he lives like...in Nevada

It does feel like Nevada out here with the heat and all..........but no worries, the garage will be well insulated. There is only one condition though, no snorkeling or scuba gear of any kind allowed. You can look but no touching :lol:

awesome tank! Looks great! who built it?

Thanks. I got it used and was told it's an Envision tank. I was going to have SoCalCreations build one for me until I found this deal. It's almost the same exact dimensions I was looking for.

Yep. Bought some base rock from another reefer. Some of them are huge. One must've weighed like 30-40 pounds and none are less than 10. Now all I need are some good quality large pieces of live rock to finish up.

My dad and I gave the tank a lift this past weekend. How fitting that on Father's Day, the 2 dads got to work on the new tank :happydance:

The stand that came with the tank was a bit too short for my taste at about 33". I wanted the top of the tank to be at least eye level so I don't have to stoop to look at it. We decided to stack 2 pieces of 4"x8", bolted them together, and screwed down the stand onto it. The extra lumber raised it another 7" so it's perfect now. Check out the new platform shoes :lol:

DSCN8522.jpg

DSCN8520.jpg

DSCN8523.jpg

Archived