SaltCritters.com

just got fish & CUC

phishy11

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ssirishpride

i believe it depends on the enviroment inside the tank. do you know how long your water has been testing 0's am/trite.trate? i would mostly be concerned about the addition of a fish causing a small cycle as a result of the tank being young and poss. still not balenced. the cause for concern for the snails is kinda similar, if they die off the decomp could throw your levels out of wack. that being said, i don't think that you're tank is gonna erupt in flames tonight if you keep a fish and 12 snails, but if you test tommorw and day after day and you find you're levels changing for the worse you know where to find the problem. now keep in mind that i have only been at this for about 6 months, only 2 of which include a tank and water so what i am saying could be completly incorrect, it's just my theory.

they have ben at 0 forever.

Ill jsut keep everything in the tank and keep testing the water if anything spikes i know a snail died right?

ssirishpride

if the water is 0's the snails and fish should be fine. don't overfead the fish, and if the snails run out of algea/ditritus to eat donate a few to a local reefer. goto a lfs and have them check you're levels for piece of mind also. i had somthing like 25 snails in my pod a week or so ago. got a good deal on them, but when i could practally see my reflexion in my liverock i knew it was time to thin the heard. people are always looking for snails.

allenspidey

Seriously consider taking the last damsel back. Your snails have virtually nothing to eat so get most of them out too. I waited like 6 weeks before I added stuff and then got off waaay to fast after that. I had disease and all kinds of problems. Now, finally, everything is looking good. Just wait. I'm not going to cry over a damsel but there is no since in throwing money away.

thanks for the advice but im gona keep the damsel..

but i will return some of the snails..how many should there be in a 20gal tank?

Now? Like 3. My tank has been up for about 6 months and I have 6 in my 28 gallon.

all right thanks..guess you cant trust people at the pet store..he siad 15..idiot. what a waste of money

allenspidey

Don't get me started on LFS. I do my research but I still ask alot of questions. Most of the time they are like car salesmen. They have no idea whats under the hood but will certainly act like it. Never trust your LFS. I will always ask my questions on here first. Again learned the hard way. Man did I make a lot of mistakes when I started.

and you had liverock in yoour tank??\\and there was no trace of anything??

oh and why are you so intent in keeping the damsel (not trying to sound pushy just came out that way)

iis it special or something

why couldnt you return it and then rebuy it later

also -- well now the snails will do this for you-- but i was gonna say maybe throw a teeny chunck of shrimp in just to at least artificially create a cycle just in case-- but i guess not--

also another suggesstion incase your tank just never had any ammonia buy two products

1) bio spira- saltwater (someone sed it was only for fw but i used it in mine an it worked great i also reda the bio spira lab notes and it sed marine as well)

2) Cycle- it will help reduce stress on fish just added to the tank and will add extra boosts of bacteria to compensate for the bioload that one would dump into a newly cycled tank

how old are you phishy?

you dont seem to learn or take advice very well... if i were you i would get something cheaper as a hobby... if you think snails is a waste of money (20-30 bucks at most) your in for a big supprise, im $700 into my tank (10g)... get a chia pet... you'll be happier in the long run

EDIT: oh yeah i cant believe how long this thread is... over 130 posts for someone who clearly did no research and doesnt want to learn...

what kind of snails are they? i would keep 3 for now too. and trade the rest in for 3 scarlet hermits. only scarlets and no other ones. all other crabs are evil in my opinion. if you think you need more snails later because the algea is getting too much for the 3 snails, get 1 turbo snail. later on i would recommend a couple of nass snails also if your sand bed is deep. they mix the sand up. when i put mine in i had green algea on top of the sand, now its gone from them mixing it up. i started out with 12 snails and 10 hermits and it was way too many. i now have 7 snails and 6 hermits and its still way too many for a 12g.

the damsel should be fine if your cycle is almost done. i already went through my first round of fish and ended up losing because they got ich from using a hydrometer that was waaaay off. so becareful, because now i have to wait to get more fish. 5 weeks to go.....

Phishy, I'd like to give some advice here. This is coming from someone who is newer than new. Please take every living thing you have back to your LFS and start over. It is obvious, even to someone as new as myself that:

1. You don't yet have the knowledge required to own livestock.

a. You dont understand water parameters.

b. You didnt know what "nano" meant.

c. You are asking questions you shouldnt be asking at this stage.

d. You are taking horrible advice from your pet store.

2. Your tank isnt cycled.

a. Your LR has only be in for 2 weeks.

b. You havent tested your water.

c. You don't know what nitrate is.

d. You don't understand the consequences of dead livestock.

I'm slightly bothered that everyone is being so rude to you here, but I'm under the impression that you might deserve it. I havent been following your threads, but it definately looks like you're not being truthful.

The best advice you'll get is to take it all back and start over. I have been in this at least as long as you and have an empty tank sitting on my desk. I MIGHT put water in it tomorrow, but I won't be adding livestock until my parameters are solid.

Best of luck.

-OneHump

1 snail per gallon is correct. Deffinitely remove those damsels before any of your nicer fish are placed in, they will rip them to peices.

beachsidejuj

Why don't you all just leave the guy alone??? You are all acting like a tang...pick pick pick

Phishy.....email me and we can do this thing together...and you won't have to defend yourself...THIS is not life or death ppl....everyone take a big breath....and step back...

Scott Riemer
Why don't you all just leave the guy alone???

I have read them....

Then you should know "the guy" is a 16 year old girl. :D

And...I wasn't picking, just pointing out that there was an inconsistency to her story.

Juanhunglo69

Phishy I think that you have learned a lesson here. Don't lie and especially don't defend your lies or get offensive while doing it. I caught myself going to your profile and looking to see what you did say only to find that you were lying. I usually stay away from these types of arguments but I hate to see people get turned away from anything that they might have interest in.

Your damsel should be fine. Just know that if you keep that damsel you’re going to have a hard time keeping other fish with it as they are mean dudes. Think of a 25 year old Mike Tyson as a 3rd grade school bully. Yeah even on the mentality level. You couldn't even keep a fish of the same species in there with him. Keeping about 4-5 snails should be ok. I have 3 in a 12 gallon JBJ but that is more like 7 gallons of water. Trade the rest in for a few hermits. (4-5)

In the future if you ask what people think get a few ideas and then make a decision. This is a good idea when you get mixed reviews but don't have 5 people tell you not to do something and then put a post saying that you did it. You’re asking to get flamed. When you do stuff like that it's like your trying to aggravate people. Most of us are pretty calm around here. We have a bunch of guys that have allot of experience. icyuodd, lgreen, fosi, and Raywhisperer are just a few to name. We even have our self proclaimed experts. You know the guys that throw out all of this great advice with one month’s experience. Yeah these guys have read a bunch but trial and error are the best methods of learning. I still ask some very basic questions from time to time because I am looking for an opinion.

I am not ranting but figured that I would try to help you see things as we see them. This is a great hobby but it requires a great deal of patience and discipline. Be more patient and don't rush things.

Piece of advice: Don't go to the LFS store to buy one thing and come home with another. Make you a list. Don't go in to buy a pair of clowns to walk out with a lionfish because they were out of clowns for the day. If they don't have what you want don't settle for something different, wait. When going to buy corals make a list of what you know that you can keep. If it's not on your list don't buy it. If you see something that you like ask what it is and go home and do your research. Maybe you can add it to your list. This list will grow in time. I almost bought a sun coral a while back. It wasn't on my list so I didn't. My wife wanted it and my son too but I didn't know anything about it so I didn't. After I did my homework I am glad that I didn't waste the 45 Euros that he wanted for the thing. I am not ready for that kind of work.

Archived