SaltCritters.com

Qwank's new 24g nano cube!

Qwank

i havnt done nothing to the skimmer still, but the cup is about 1/3 full of yellow water.

heres some updated pictures. the clowns are out of QT and into the main tank again. i moved the rock that my clam was stuck on to from my 12g to my 24g. so the 12g will be coming down soon hopefully and be sold. i have coraline starting to grow in the tank.

DSC01874.jpg

DSC01876.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Gods sake don't put any corals on the bottom. My pistol shrimp loves to bury corals. MH, RK, I think this tank needs a vortech now.

For Gods sake don't put any corals on the bottom. My pistol shrimp loves to bury corals. MH, RK, I think this tank needs a vortech now.

i dont have any corals on the bottom :P

and i do need another power head, the sand in front of the cave area is getting cyno :angry: i dont think its getting much flow down there. i'm debating on replacing the K nano with a K1, or getting another K nano

I did have to move my clam up higher. i guess the old 70w bulb wasnt enough for him where he was. he was actually so pissed he let go of his foot. so he was easy to move. i thought when they let go of thier feet they die? i dont know, but hes been in his new spot for over a week now and still alive. and the foot is still in the original spot. weird.

and for those of you wondering about the skimmer. i looked in the cup yesterday and it was foaming like crazy. the cup was about 3/4 full with dark yellow water, and the top of the lid and the cylinder part of the cup had thick dark green crap stuck to it :o so its pulling something out. i think the skimmer finally broke in.

burnofvengeance
i dont have any corals on the bottom :P

and i do need another power head, the sand in front of the cave area is getting cyno :angry: i dont think its getting much flow down there. i'm debating on replacing the K nano with a K1, or getting another K nano

I did have to move my clam up higher. i guess the old 70w bulb wasnt enough for him where he was. he was actually so pissed he let go of his foot. so he was easy to move. i thought when they let go of thier feet they die? i dont know, but hes been in his new spot for over a week now and still alive. and the foot is still in the original spot. weird.

and for those of you wondering about the skimmer. i looked in the cup yesterday and it was foaming like crazy. the cup was about 3/4 full with dark yellow water, and the top of the lid and the cylinder part of the cup had thick dark green crap stuck to it :o so its pulling something out. i think the skimmer finally broke in.

Personally I have to K nano's in my NC. It seems to be a pretty good flow for everything.

Just orderd my skimmer yesterday. Thanks for all the information on it.

thanks guys.

yeah just give the skimmer time to break in., maybe a month. mine seems to be working good now. i'll post pics of the crap next time i empty the container.

i decided i'm not going to replace the shorted out SL1 from a few weeks ago. so no ATO or PH monitor for a while. i'm actually trading my PH probe for some frags tonight. pics later!!

burnofvengeance

Dang, Im jealous of your pistol/goby pair. I just got a ywg but I don't know if I should get the pistol or not because I put my lr on top of my sand, so I'm nervous the pistol will collapse the rocks or something.

my live rock is on top of the sand too. i would get one and try it. does your goby dig his own holes?

if i didnt have the pistol, my goby would be dead right now. my female clown attacked him for 6 hours straight. i thought for sure he would be killed overnight. but the next day when the lights came on i found him hanging out with the pistol. now he has a place to hide when he sees the clown.

mine too! i thought he would make one cave and they would live there. every day they've been in a differnt location. today they are in the back being anti social.

burnofvengeance

Well it's definately something I'll have to consider. It would be a very interesting symbiotic relationship to see.

Qwank. I just got my Sapphire NC skimmer in today. How did you adjust it so that you got the right amount of skimmate? Right now my collection cup just fills up in a matter of minutes.

the directions say to run it with the gate fully open for a week or so until it breaks in. your water level might be too high also. it needs to be level with the opening between the second and 3rd chambers

growth update:

Remember this clove hitchhiker that was on my live rock?

DSC01313.jpg

well it looks like this after 3 months:

DSC02216.jpg

burnofvengeance

Hmm. The gate is fully open. And my water level is exactly where it's supposed to be. Maybe it's just getting adjusted.

Hmm. The gate is fully open. And my water level is exactly where it's supposed to be. Maybe it's just getting adjusted.

could be. if you remember, the first day i got a whole cup full, and then nothing for a few weeks after that

burnofvengeance

That's true. I guess I'll just try and play around with the water levels till it looks right. Thanks for your help.

well, yesterday i hooked up my scroll fan on a separate circuit and have my Reef keeper controling it to only come on at certain temps. this cut down noise, but more importantly it cut my evap down 75%! that was a big help. now instead of my tank running a constant 78 degrees it will creep up to 78.3 and then cool down to 77.9. but the temp rarely gets up high enough to kick the fan on. i'm happy. the reefkeeper is really worth it.

Needreefunds

Hey Jay,

your little "clove" hitchhiker, possibly Anthelia? :unsure:

Cool to hear the RK is working out for you. Another "wish list" item of mine. :P

Hey Jay,

Kinda what I was wondering.

Was thinking about trying the RKL on the 75 as opposed to the ACJr on the 40, that way I can try both :)

Hey Jay,

yes i think thats what it is. thanks for the ID. are they bad? they seem to grow alot.

Was thinking about trying the RKL on the 75 as opposed to the ACJr on the 40, that way I can try both :)

your not goingto try the new Neptunes ontroller that just came out? if you buy a reefkeeper Elite you can use it on all your tanks

Needreefunds
yes i think thats what it is. thanks for the ID. are they bad? they seem to grow alot.

Not bad if you like it. But a fast grower indeed.

Archived