inTank Media Baskets

Qwank's new 24g nano cube!

Qwank

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i went with the 14k astralux

You might want to reconsider that if you ever go with SPS.

While they have a nice blend of color, 14k bulbs seem to have REALLY low lux (when compared to either 10k or 20k) so don't give enough juice for SPS to grow.

well heres my first corals

i got a colony of polyps. its a blurry pic and they werent all pen when i took it but you get the idea:

DSC03418.jpg

DSC03430.jpg

DSC03415.jpg

full tank shot:

DSC03426.jpg

how are your temperatures with the halide? are u running a chiller, or just fans? How about room air temperature? Just want to know, because i want to do a 70 watter in my aquapod 24, but if possible, without a chiller...

how are your temperatures with the halide? are u running a chiller, or just fans? How about room air temperature? Just want to know, because i want to do a 70 watter in my aquapod 24, but if possible, without a chiller...

i'm only using the 5 fans pictured and my temps are a steady 78 degrees. my house usually around 70 degrees. we'll see how it is when the summer gets here though. although i have a huge air conditioner running most of the time in the summer.

nanoty, i'll be getting new fish as soon as the ich is out of my tank. about 6 more weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

went to the LFS today and got some new stuff.

crocea clam:

DSC03523.jpg

feather duster colony:

DSC03516.jpg

i also got a small colony of star polys but only about half of them opened up so far so i'll get a pic later when they all open up.

full tank shot:

DSC03525.jpg

Looking good. I want a clam really bad but I think I am going to let my tank go a little longer, it hasn't been running as long as yours. I need to clean my tank up and get a FTS.

everything pulled through fine after the power outtage. i borrowed a generator from my friend to power up the tank.

i put the actinics in today. 2x18w from nano tuners. although i didnt know the ballast is the same one that the stock lights use. all i would have had to order was the bulbs beacuse i used all the stock wiring and sockets. oh well, at least i have an extra ballast for when this one dies.

when the MH is on you cant tell the actinics are on at the same time. m maybe because the MH is more watts it drowns out the actinics? some one tld me it wouldnt make a difference to the stuf in the tank though as the light spectum is stil there.

heres some pics with the splash gaurd on. i forgot to take one with it off.

i'll get a tank shot later on.

DSC03561.jpg

DSC03560.jpg

yeah get 2 more bulb clips too and you'll have to make a reflector to bolt the clips to to hold the lights. look at the pic on your tank thread that someone posted. that helped me a lot with this.

So that picture is of the 14000k and the actinics?........also wanted to ask.. on the first page, the pictures of your first corals the one that is pinkish/red is the cocoa worm correct?

Are you happy with your decision on the 14000k and actinics or would you have rather went with 10000k and the actinics?

sorry for all the questions but I am gearing up for my first reef tank and the coral question was because I saw one today while browsing for corals that was not labeled.Thanks!

el_vulture619

Sorry to here about your ich problem. I had the same thing when I first started my tank. But after 4 wks it was gone. Now I have another clown goby, and he is swimming good for about month now. I also picked up a percula, have had it for about the same time.

Were did you get your MH kit from? I need to upgrade big time.

the picture is the actinics only. i dont have any pics of both of them on at the same time but it dosent really look much different. i would like to see what a 10k bulb would look like compared to the 14k.

yes that is a cocoa worm in the tank. it really cool. i have really gotton to like filter feeders.

i didnt buy an actual kit. i kinda pieced it together. i used a 300w halogen lamp to get the MH socket and UV glass. i got the ballast and bulb from some members on here. i used the stock NC light set up for the actinics. i got the actinic bulbs from nanotuners. i actually bought the 2x18w kit for the NC6 but when it came in it was the same ballast as the NC12 so i just used my old stuff. i also got a 1.70 heat shield from nanotuners also but i still had to modify it to use in my setup. i think i could have made the same thing out of my stock heat shield.

• 1 month later...
eklikewhoa
Updates? Just wondering what types of screws you used to hold down the new fans?

Not sure about Qwank but I use the stock screws....just cut them a bit shorter.

• 2 months later...

sorry i don't surf this forum too much any more. i used thicker screw and they are barely holding. but they hold enough. i dont have any problems with them. heres whats in the tank as of a few days ago:

DSC05114.jpg

dont mind the algea on the rear wall. i took care of it.

Looks good. Is that acro in the back? I have some but hair algae keeps trying to take it over. My birdsnest is doing great but I think I still need more water movement.

Archived