SaltCritters.com

Qwank's new 24g nano cube!

Qwank

Clownshoes beat me to this Qwank.

Is the scroll fan for evap cooling only?

The last set of pics does not show any vents / ducts etc from that fan to the ventilate the cover. Just curious is all. How are the temps so far?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes the scroll fan is for evap cooling. The light is sealed save for the vents on top of the hood. In our 12g cubes we drilled holes in the side of the lids for vents for the scroll fans.

Clownshoes beat me to this Qwank.

Is the scroll fan for evap cooling only?

The last set of pics does not show any vents / ducts etc from that fan to the ventilate the cover. Just curious is all. How are the temps so far?

Nanoty is right. its for evap cooling. cost $2.50 for the fan and its as effective as a $300 chiller. JBJ actually makes a fan like this now. they sell it for $40 :mellow:

i didnt need to drill exhuast holes in the 24g because the vents on the side of the hood act as the vents for the fans in the hood and they vent the water surface too, due to a new prop rod design that JBJ uses on these new hoods. (which i hate compared to the old design)

i bought an onyx clown today to go with my perc. i also moved the perc from the 12g to the 24g at the same time. the two fish are getting along great. they havnt left each others side yet.

the smaller one is the onyx:

DSC01597.jpg

DSC01603.jpg

Wow, your perc has a lot of black too. Are you getting a nem for them? I didn't mean for that to rhyme.

yeah my perc is awesome looking. when i bought him i thought he might be an onyx. but he never got anymore black. the new fish looks identical right now. just a little more yellower. there were 4 onyxs. this was the smallest but was the least black. the biggest one was all brown. i'm wondering how long it will take for the black to fill out?

these guys should be a real nice looking pair though when the other one gets all his colors.

yes, i plan on getting a BTA. whats the wait time? 6-12 months to avoid getting flamed :lol:

i was actually going to buy one for my 12g right after christmas, but i got the new tank so i figured it wouldnt be wise to get one if i was going to have to move it over to a new tank shortly after. so yeah there will be a BTA coming in a few months.

oh, i also added my octopus frogspawn into the tank a few days ago.

DSC01620.jpg

DSC01619.jpg

FTS 01/30/09

DSC01618.jpg

Do you have a link for the wavemaker you bought?

i dont have a wave maker at the moment. could you be talking about something else?

update on my clowns. they've been in the QT since friday. they are living in 1.008 salinity water now for about a day. the original cyst still have not falling off the little clown. my older clown has not had any cyst yet. they are both eating and acting normal. i'm hoping for good results.

i dont have a wave maker at the moment. could you be talking about something else?

I was thinking of a different thread. Sorry.

I like what you've done so far. I'm subscribed.

burnofvengeance
I got my sapphire skimmer today :haha:

I realize its been less than a day, but how are you liking the sapphire skimmer? was it easy to install? do you know what the SRS nanoskim is that nanotuners suggests to buy with the skimmer?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm contemplating buying one myself from my 24nc.

sorry Ty, i was so excited i forgot to take pics. i can take one of the collection cup if you want thopugh. lol.

I didnt really get it working right yet. its making bubbles and stuff. i got a cup of yellow water in it yesterday. thats about it. the directions say to run it for a week with the gat valve open all the way so thats how its running now. its really wet skim. when i get home today i'll play around with it some more. between the skimmer and taking care of my QT'd clowns and all the other stuff going on i didnt have much time yesterday. i'll get some pics up this evening.

you dont need the SRS nanoskim if you have the factory JBJ surface skimmer. you will need either one or the other to keep the rear chambers at the correct water level for the skimmer to work properly.

burnofvengeance
sorry Ty, i was so excited i forgot to take pics. i can take one of the collection cup if you want thopugh. lol.

I didnt really get it working right yet. its making bubbles and stuff. i got a cup of yellow water in it yesterday. thats about it. the directions say to run it for a week with the gat valve open all the way so thats how its running now. its really wet skim. when i get home today i'll play around with it some more. between the skimmer and taking care of my QT'd clowns and all the other stuff going on i didnt have much time yesterday. i'll get some pics up this evening.

you dont need the SRS nanoskim if you have the factory JBJ surface skimmer. you will need either one or the other to keep the rear chambers at the correct water level for the skimmer to work properly.

Thanks for the reply. I'll wait to see what you have to say about the nano skimmer before I put an order in for mine. Also, glad to hear I dont need to order something else since I have the JBJ surface skimmer.

yeah, i have to replace what ever i dump out with salt water right?

Yeah if its skimming super wet. Just check it often, it may not make a huge swing but if your topping off 5-6g a week with RO like me it does, lol.

Thanks for the reply. I'll wait to see what you have to say about the nano skimmer before I put an order in for mine. Also, glad to hear I dont need to order something else since I have the JBJ surface skimmer.

this is my first time ever having a skimmer so hopfully i'll get it to work right. i can say though that the fit and finish is great. the pump is also really quiet. you cant hear it running at all. it does have to be partially assembled, but its really easy.

burnofvengeance
this is my first time ever having a skimmer so hopfully i'll get it to work right. i can say though that the fit and finish is great. the pump is also really quiet. you cant hear it running at all. it does have to be partially assembled, but its really easy.

I'm in the same boat you are. I've never run a skimmer before but if you get yours working good, I'll just have to come to you if I have any problems. haha.

the skimmer didnt really do anything yesterday. maybe because theres no fish in the tank so theres no crap to skim right now? i dont know. i'm just going to run it with the gate fully open for a week like Sapphire suggest, then try to adjust it next week.

what else is there for skimmer options for these tanks? i didnt find anything else. the Sapphire skimmer fits perfectly in the middle chamber. it really is designed well.

one of my issues could be i really have no load in the tank. the clowns were in there for about 4 days before i QT'd them. so it might be the fact that the water is already pretty clean.

If you guys are this interested in the skimmer, wait until my next toy comes in in a few weeks :ninja:

Archived