Pod Your Reef

Qwank's new 24g nano cube!

Qwank

burnofvengeance
what else is there for skimmer options for these tanks? i didnt find anything else. the Sapphire skimmer fits perfectly in the middle chamber. it really is designed well.

one of my issues could be i really have no load in the tank. the clowns were in there for about 4 days before i QT'd them. so it might be the fact that the water is already pretty clean.

If you guys are this interested in the skimmer, wait until my next toy comes in in a few weeks :ninja:

JBJ came out with one to fit in the 12 and 24 but they're airstone driven, and I'm not to sure how great they work.

Now you've got me curious, whats the new toy?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never heard great things about air-stone drive skimmers. The needle style seems to be the best.

What new toys?

well if its like the 28g skimmer it prob sucks

burnofvengeance

They're probably just trying to capitalize on everyone trying to find a skimmer that will fit in a nano. More than likely it's not very good, thus that's what I've been looking at the sapphire.

ok guys, the skimmer has been running a week with the gate open as recommended by Sapphire Aquatics. when i get home, i'm going to try to play with the gate to see if i can get this thing to skim properly and get rid of all the microbubbles i have. theres a lot of bubbles in the display right now.

but like i said, this is my first skimmer, and i don't even know if it will skim anything without fish in the tank.

i may get rid of all the black plastic on the back of the tank. it may help see the skimmer better and make adjusting it easier.

Take some pictures if you do take the vinyl off.

I'm on the fence for skimmers right now and I'm considering a remora or remora nano.

I posted this in the equipment forum under the sapphire skimmer thread, but i figured i put it here too.

I have had a ton of micro bubbles since i added the skimmer. yesterday i peeled the vinyl off the back of my tank so i could see what the skimmer was actually doing. i found the micro bubbles are coming out of the seem between the 2 peices of the pump, and where the pump outlet goes into the skimmer. i'm going to remove the skimmer today and try to seal those spots up with some silicone.

I ran the skimmer with the gate fully open for a week like the instructions said. now i have the gate 3/4 of the way closed. i havnt gotten any skimate since the second day i ran this. could it be because i have no fish in the tank and just a few corals?

heres some pics:

DSC01773.jpg

DSC01774.jpg

DSC01776.jpg

It very well could be that you don't have much of a bio load to get much of any skim. Once you seal those cracks you may see an improvement. I'm sure when you start adding some fish you will as well.

well i didnt have a chance to take the skimmer out and mess with it because this came in:

DSC01777.jpg

the pic is just to make sure everything works and it holds water. i already took it down because the cats thought it was a drinking fountain. its probbaly going to go in my bedroom.

also, my QT has an ammonia problem. no matter how many water changes i do its still 0.5 so i'm going to raise the salinity back up and let the fish fight off the ich in the nano. i'd rather them die in thier home from the ich then get ammonia poisoning.

man is this thing confusing! its really not too bad, but the owners manual leaves alot to be desired. luckily theres some threads on programing it on RC and DAs forums. i got it about 80% setup with the exception of the PH probe. I dont really know how to calibrate it so i'm not touching it until i do a little more research. so tomorrow hopefully my lights will turn on. i'll get more pics up later.

Sounds like quite the challenge. Maybe you could ask the neighbors 8 year old kid to program it for you.. LOL

Kind of like todays age programing yesterdays age's vcr's that always blinked at 12:00.. LOL

Zomg I had so much crap programming my ACJr. I ended up having to call Bdare and let him explain it to my dumbass. Would have been much easier if I would have bought the damn serial cable and programmed it with my laptop.

yeah i blame it on the owners manual really sucking. DA has an awesome help forum though. one of my questions was answered within 30 minutes tonight and that was at midnight my time. crazy. so i got this thing controlling everything in my tank right now. i'm using 6 of the 8 outlets. i have no moonlights now though since i was using the stock nanocube ones on my actinic ballast. i may spend the $70 on the moonlight controler from DA, it seems pretty cool.

but the next thing on the tank to do list is getting an ATO system, which this controller can do for me if i buy a pair of plugs for $15, and then some float switches and a pump. so i can start researching that now.

i'm going to bed now though. lol!

ok i figured the whole thing out. its actually really easy to use once you get the hang of it. i got the PH probe calibrated and working. only thing i'm upset about is i cut the hole in my stand a little crooked for the head unit. no big deal i guess.

so its been controling everything in the system for about 12 hours now. the heater works perfect. my actinics turned on when they were supposed to and my MH just turned on.

i did a water change this morning and i turned off both pumps and the skimmer with the touch of a button. how cool is that?

my skimmer pump dosnt like to start back up though. everytime it stops i have to violently shake the skimmer to get it started.

• 2 weeks later...
burnofvengeance
my skimmer pump dosnt like to start back up though. everytime it stops i have to violently shake the skimmer to get it started.

How's the skimmer working out for you now? Did you get the problems figured out?

How's the skimmer working out for you now? Did you get the problems figured out?

i unplugged the skimmer about a week ago to see if the micro bubbles would stop. it turns out most of the micro bubbles were actually from keeping the water level at the proper height of the skimmer. which is lower then i normally would keep it. it causes a water fall effect from the second to 3rd chamber when the water evaps and thats where the bubbles come from. i put my clowns back in the tank on saturday, i'll hook the skimmer up again today and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

no. last week the stupid stock return pump hose popped off the outlet and shot water everywhere. i woke up to the tank completely off and my reef keeper flashing. turns out some salt water splashed on the SL1 module andshorted it out. so i have no PH monitor now. i havnt played with anything on the tank since then.

the skimmer is still running, but just collecting clear water in the cup.

Archived