Cultivated Reef

Qwank's new 24g nano cube!

Qwank

Yeah, that's what we've been talking about, lol. Me and Qwank were destroying nanocube hoods before it was cool :lol:

BTW, looking good Q.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wholly sheet, Qwank's back.

How did I miss this ??

Looks good already, but how long before you tear apart that hood? :P

C'mon you know you wanna....150 mh? Or your 70 and as many pc's as you can stuff in there?

yup i'm back, i spent the last 16 months or so building a new house. my nano was at my parents house the whole time. i bought a whole 75g RR set up. i even had the builder make a special spot in the house for it. but i just don't have the money for it right now. i just moved my tank to the new house a few weeks ago, only to loose power for 26 hours a few days after the move. thats when my acro died :angry: oh well. and then my wife got me the 24g for christmas.

the hood will be torn apart soon i hope. i was just scanning the for sale section looking for a 70w or 150w retro. i might try to get a used viper light and just gut the parts out of it. we'll see. i'm worried about heat with the 150. i was with the 70w in the 12g but that runs a steady 80 degrees with no issues ever.

anyways back to the updates.

thats 23 pounds of live rock i got from a local (1 1/2 hours away) reefer. i paid $42 for it all :P its been in his tank for 6 years. i'm going to move another 4 pound rock that my clam is sitting on into the tank when i move everything over. i changed the postion of some of the rocks already, and i stuck my dead acro in there for a little decoration. tomorrow or tuesday i'll get some live sand and add another pic.

yeah i was surprised it weighed that much. its really great rock. i only brought a 5 gallon bucket with me and filled it. the rock in my 12g fills the 5g bucket and its only 10 pounds.

Why not go for the 150 MH and go sps in this tank ?

this tank is only a few inches deeper after i put the live sand in. i think i have 14 or 15 inches from the light to the sandbed. so i think a 70w metal halide will still work. plus i don't want the heat issues the 150 will cause. i want to be able to do the same cooling fans setup i have on my 12g. i have no heat issues with that one. plus the parts for a 70w retro are a lot cheaper. i can always go with a 150w later on if it dosnt work out.

so the live sand went in yesterday. 40 pounds of it. it cost me more for live sand then for the rock. $60 for 40 pounds. someone local had free sand, but i didnt want to deal with cleaning all the crap out of it so i just went new. i'll get pics probably tomorrow. it all settled last night but i'm going to rescape the rock a little so i'm sure i'll stir it up again.

Well I gathered, what about brand, bulb, etc.

I got another Aromat NAIS ballast off another member here. he even threw in a socket and an old bulb. i'm probbaly going to go with the Astralux 14k again, although i would like to find a UV safe bulb thats a little easier to find if i need a replacement. even though i use the UV glass, some light still leaks out of the side of the reflector, so i like UV safe ones. I need to find a reflector and UV glass. probbaly going to do the brinks security light again, if i can find one. I'm still going to keep an eye out for a good priced 150w retro too, just in case.

I'm trying to figure out if i can get 2x36w actinics in the hood. i know that i can definatly fit one in. not sure about 2. if i can do 2x36w actinics I might go with a 10k metal halide bulb. we'll see. i have enough parts at home to try and fit 18w, 24w, or 32w actinics.

i got some crazy hitchhikers in that live rock.

ok. i managed to fit the 70w metal halide, 1 36w and 1 24w power compact. i'm running an old astralux bulb and both power compacts are stock JBJ 50/50s while i do my temp test. i will probbaly go with a 10k Mh bulb this time since i'm running 60w actinics this time. i did this set up a little different then on my 12g. instead of ripping out all the stock electronics, i kept them in there for the actinics. I also left the fans control board in there, which means i have 2 less plugs on this setup for the fans. i'm also using the stock moonlights and when i order new bulbs from nanotunes i will get the moonlight fix and install that also.

thanks to reefone for the ballast bulb and socket.

heres the pics:

DSC01265.jpg

DSC01264.jpg

DSC01263.jpg

DSC01271.jpg

DSC01270.jpg

DSC01276.jpg

DSC01278.jpg

diatoms started showing up today, so i threw a hermit in there from my other tank to get a jump on the cleaning.

i found two 6 legged starfish, about the size of a dime in there. or those reef safe?

diatoms started showing up today, so i threw a hermit in there from my other tank to get a jump on the cleaning.

i found two 6 legged starfish, about the size of a dime in there. or those reef safe?

tanks looks great!

as for the starfish, i believe they are asterina starfish or something. supposedly they are reef safe... however i read somewhere that certain ones are not. do a google search on them to make sure though.

-dan

tanks looks great!

as for the starfish, i believe they are asterina starfish or something. supposedly they are reef safe... however i read somewhere that certain ones are not. do a google search on them to make sure though.

-dan

thanks! theres a Blue one in there too! WTF?? :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

nothing new really. cycle has been done for a while now. i MIGHT get a fish in there this weekend. we'll see.

heres some pics of some of the hitchhickers that were on the live rock.

I'm not sure if this is xenia or a clove but i have 4 now in less then a month. probbaly going to be an issue

DSC01313.jpg

mushrooms:

DSC01315.jpg

theres a ton of sponges:

DSC01293.jpg

DSC01292.jpg

when i got home today that xenia/clove was closed up like it ate something. is that possible? its open now.

Good pics, I have a bunch of sponges in my 40 that survived a few months in a dark tub of water.

those mushrooms better not take over like my other ones did! :P

Archived