SaltCritters.com

Finnex 30g owners unite!

Phixion

evolution8888
I've actually been thinking of extending the intake pipe for the return pump to go down farther under the fuge. I think most of the bubbles are coming from the flow from the skimmer chamber down to the return chamber. This is because I have the water level down to about 6 or 8 inches above the return pump so i don't get algea growing between the Fuge and the side of the tank. i like to see what I have in the fuge and it was be impossible to clean between the two pieces of glass.

I've been thinking about replumbing and adding a SCWD to my tank and run it off a Maxi 1200 and then run the stock return and flow to the fuge with a minijet...What do you all think?

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jkhuskies99

Hello everyone, I just discovered this forum and this thread. I am on NCAA hoops overload right now, but I thought I would take a quick break and add to the discussion as a 30 M Tank owner.

I have had the tank for about 2 months, I bought it from a LFS that was using it as a display tank - so it came with live sand and rock, stocked fuge, some corals and a few fish. I have the 150w MH lighting, and am using the stock skimmer and return pump. Skimmer is working fine with bubbles once in a while, but I am considering a Tunze Nano. I also would like more flow from the return - thinking about the Quiteone 3000- but I think someone thought it was too loud? I have a rio 600 and a maxijet 900 with the hydor attachment for additional flow. I might replace the rio 600 with a hydor koralia or a tunze nanostream.

Would love to hear any other thoughts and experiences with other return pumps.

I have SPS on the top, a few pieces of LPS and a Gigantea anemone. I have 2 different clowns, which I know is frowned upon, but they appear to be forming a pair - the male is twitching in front of the female, we'll see if it happens.

-Jay

post-26913-1174249371_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just added a pair of R2 moonlights to my T5HO fixture, and they are working out VERY nicely. I'm nervous since I installed them in last night and today is the first day with the daylights on that they will be IN the fixture, I hope it's not too hot in there for them... :scarry: Anywho, I took some pics of it last night, I'll post them up when i get home. But holy blue light Batman, it's bright!! lol

Pic of tank with twin R2 moonlight addition into standard T5HO fixture... yes, I forgot to take pics of the LEDs installed, I always forget to do that lol! :ninja:

finnex_night.jpg

I love how everything POPS and glows with them. WAY better than the ones in my old AP12, and certainly better than the stock LEDs in the Finnex fixture, but those ones were REALLY bright too, they unfortunately shined straight down and were highly concentrated, they left the center dark and unlit. :(

i dont think ive ever posted here yet...anyways i have the 30 also and originally wasnt gonna run the skimmer, but i decided to today and holy sh*it theres a lot of bubbles. Anyways im gonna show u guys some pics of my tank.

DSCN2923.jpg

DSCN2921.jpg

The bubble should calm down after a week or so when the pump/skimmer are broken in. I've found that if you fine tune adjust it and then never mess with it again, it seems to work well. I also run my skimmer on the night cycle of my lights, so I never see bubbles with it anyways. ;)

night cycle....good idea im gonna start that tonight.

also i was thinking about putting either my koralia 1 or 2 on a timer so that it goes off with my lights at night, probably the 600gph one. Reason being i think my clowns have trouble sleepin while theyre getting thrown in to rocks. i dont know just a thought. what do you think? good idea or bad idea.

Here are a few new shots of my tank, since I have made some additions in the last few weeks. I know the pictures aren't that great as the camera is not that great, but you will get the idea. I don't think I am happy with the yellow color to the tank and might look to change the MH bulb. Does anyone know what the K rating on the stock 150W MH bulb is? My guess is that it is 6500K. I'm thinking about going to 10K. Anyone have suggestions?

30gFTS1.jpg

Acros1.jpg

pinkzoas.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How's everyone's tank doing? Mine is doing good, skimmer is working great!! In fact, (ganted I only run it on my night cycle which is about 14 hours long) I haven't emptied the cup in about 3.5 weeks and the cup is only I'd say 65% full with the nastiest brown muck water I've ever seen, lol! I still hate having to clean off the intake vent grate and also the fuge return grate vent every few days as algae builds up on them and starts to block the flow. :(

stand is looking good! its funny that you have many of the same ideas that i had when building my stand. I built mine specifically so that it'd fit two ten gallon tanks under the display or one ten gallon and a chiller. i'm going to be purchasing a chiller either tonight or tomorrow because i've begun to have heat issues with my t5 light fixture sitting directly on top of the tank and having two new koralia 2 pumps in there. I'm really undecided as to which chiller to get. tell me what you think of the ideas:

JBJ antarctica mini - up to 40 gallons - with mj1200 pump = $360

Pacific coast 1/10 - will chill up to 160 gallons - with quiet one pump = $415

Current USA 1/15 or 1/10 - not sure on price but about the same as the JBJ i think

what do you think of those options...i'm thinking that its likely that i will upgrade to a larger tank or maybe multiple tanks so if i have the larger chiller it can work then also and it isn't that much more money...

idk what to do

Thanks Adinsxq. I've had that nem for years in a 7 gallon MB and is one of the reasons why I had to upgrade to the 30. I have another one in a 12 gallon AP that is more than likely going to have to be given up as it has really outgrown the tank.

Here are some new shots of my Finnex!

FTS

P1010052.jpg

Right

P1010053.jpg

Left

P1010054.jpg

Clam

P1010055.jpg

JBJ antarctica mini - up to 40 gallons - with mj1200 pump = $360

Pacific coast 1/10 - will chill up to 160 gallons - with quiet one pump = $415

Current USA 1/15 or 1/10 - not sure on price but about the same as the JBJ i think

what do you think of those options...i'm thinking that its likely that i will upgrade to a larger tank or maybe multiple tanks so if i have the larger chiller it can work then also and it isn't that much more money...

idk what to do

I'm with you, go big so if you upgrade to a larger tank later you're covered. I'm using a mag5 on the Current USA I have and it's awesome.

ReefInChicago

haven't had time to get out here in a while, and just saw this thread. cool stuff!

i haven't read it all, but will do so over the next couple days.

here's a fts of mine, set up early december, 2006:

IMG_0771.jpg

ReefInChicago
Still going good I see ReeferInChicago! B)

thanks. seems to be working pretty well......i've gotten lazy on water changes and test lately and have only done one change of 10% in the last 6 wks (a week ago). i did a set of tests today because i was testing the cadlights tank and figured i should check this one, too. no ammonia, no nitrite, no phosphate, nitrate of 2 (i'll do another water change this weekend). the only thing i still have problems with is kh. i'm at 13.1, which is high. calc is at 430 so i seem to be ok there.

the one big problem at this point is that the darn xenia that started out as a 2" stalk has now grown to 4 6" stalks that have populated the back right of the tank wall (and the return), and are starting to shade my clam. gonna have to move the clam, i think, and i may put it in the cadlights tank when it stabilizes.

got a new fts for yours?

Archived