Cultivated Reef

Finnex 30g owners unite!

Phixion

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah on the upgrade page with the fan theres a pump for 1800gph and 800 gph

That's just the model number, click each one. One is the 343gph skimmer pump and the other is the 475gph main pump. ;)

Jebo "Finnex" fan arrived today. Fits nicely and has a pleasent sound to it, not loud at all. But it doesn't seem to cool quite as well as my single Aqua-Tek did. Probably due to the Jebo being a pair of smaller and slower CFM fans, but they do work. Also put on a locline "Y" piece attaching it to the pipe coming through the false wal using a Hydor-Flo adaptor, lol! A "1/2 bulkhead obviously won't fit through the tiny (I'm guessing "3/8? dia) hole, so the Hydor adaptor I used was my alternate choice. Works like a charm and fits like a glove!! Now my only issue is that the flow seems rather weak. Could be because the fuge flow needs to be turned down some, but who knows. My next quest could be to see what other pumps (maybe a Rio?) will fit the T-pipe of the Finnex... I shall email Ron about that.

good Q phixion i am wondering what pump could be used as a replacement as well... maybe eheim?? that would be nice :) i did notice as well once the fan was powered up although it does cool it is not as good as i was expecting, then again this is coming from someone that had a 1/4HP chiller ;) haha let me know what you find on a new return pump :)

good Q phixion i am wondering what pump could be used as a replacement as well... maybe eheim?? that would be nice :) i did notice as well once the fan was powered up although it does cool it is not as good as i was expecting, then again this is coming from someone that had a 1/4HP chiller ;) haha let me know what you find on a new return pump :)

lol, will do! yeah, the fan still needs the aid of my chiller... =/ Maybe I'll run the Aqua-Tek on the tank AS WELL at least till our temps here cool down a bit.

Tomorrow I'm going to be ordering a Rio 14HF pump (840gph) for my 30g glass tank to replace the stock 475gph pump with. I determined that this pump should be close to a plug & play with the tank as the dimensions are pretty close and it also has a "3/4 outlet like the Finnex pump has. My Finnex pump is working just fine, but the flow from it is weak when having the fuge flow at around 3/4 open and having a Y-locline on the return. Doubling the flow should yield good results, plus will up my overall tank flow to 48x turnover including my Koralia 2 pump. I will keep you all informed on how this mod goes.

A big thanks to Ron at Finnex for answering my countless questions trying to get sizes, dimensions and info about the stock pump and alternatives for it. And even BIGGER thanks to Ken @ OceanReeflections for giving me added info and insight and helping me plan this mod out. Ken has some of the best customer service I've seen in this hobby of any shop.

def keep us posted :)

On another note i have good news for everyone thinking about a new skimmer :) I bought a DeltecMCE300 and it fits in the back chamber, to connect the output it needs to be modded though. the out put is too long and if hooked up with output it will end up in the main tank... although bubbles will eventually go away, i just run mine without the output plumbing. I am however going to cut the output down a little bit as well as the input so that they sit closer to the back wall. Skimmer has been running only for about 12hrs and is already skimming nicely! as expected from a Deltec! i almost forgot why one pays so much for deltec!! i ran the tunze for a while which by all means is not junk but its no deltec and i was getting aggravated with it being that i was a deltec user b4 i switched to my nano.....(had an APF600 in my 75G SPS) but i am def happy with spending the extra cash on this baby!!

if anyone has any question's def ask! i will take pics later when i get home from work for everyone here ;)

I do believe that I'm the first person (I'm aware of) to install a new and more powerful pump in this tank to replace the stock pump without a single modification done. It's simply drop in and play.

I got the pump installed today. Took about an hour to do though... The "3/4 inlet for the pump return on the Rio was just a hair too small, or rather the Finnex T-pipe was a hair too thick. ;) Nothing that a sanding drum on my dremal couldn't cure though, lol! I took some pics of the Finnex and the Rio pumps side by side to show you the comparison. I'd have to say that you pointed me to a near perfect match to say the least. My only one complaint is that this pump is noisey!! Maybe it just needs a few days to break in, but it's pretty loud. I went ahead and installed it with no prefilter and just the elbow on the intake part, but pointed angled up as to suck in minimal junk through it. It's definitely more powerful though which I can attest to. Can locklines really decrease flow a lot though as Ron pointed to? Eitherway I'm pretty happy with this new Finnex mod. One thing of note is that the mounting base is wider than the width of the rear chambers with the suction feet on, so I left the base off and instead put 2 layers of 3M heavyduty doublesided tape (which has a foam center) just to give some vibration buffering to the bottom. It's possible I s'pose that that could be the source of the noise from the pump...

Top down of both pumps (Rio on the left, Finnex on the right)

pump1.jpg

The pumps side by side to show the height of each (again Rio on the left and Finnex on the right)

pump2.jpg

And lastly a rear view of each pump (Rio on left and Finnex on right)

pump4.jpg

Pump is working out well so far, cyano is starting to dissapear, YAY! Pump is still rather noisey though, but I'm getting used to it. Definitely not whisper quiet like the stock pump...

Anyone able to answer this? Why is it that Finnex lists the M tank as 30 gallons and Oceanreeflections and Lgreens fish thread list it as a 32 gallon tank? 2 gallons is a decent amount of water in a tiny tank. Any maybe it's my eyes tricking me but it looks like the display has way more room then the CAD Lights tank that is 34 gallons.

Anyone able to answer this? Why is it that Finnex lists the M tank as 30 gallons and Oceanreeflections and Lgreens fish thread list it as a 32 gallon tank? 2 gallons is a decent amount of water in a tiny tank. Any maybe it's my eyes tricking me but it looks like the display has way more room then the CAD Lights tank that is 34 gallons.

The 32g IS a different tank, it's acrylic and not glass and I don't believe has the seperate fuge either, though I might be wrong about the fuge. But it's a totally differant tank than the 30g glass.

The 32g IS a different tank, it's acrylic and not glass and I don't believe has the seperate fuge either, though I might be wrong about the fuge. But it's a totally differant tank than the 30g glass.

That makes sense then, what about my eyes telling me the 30g Finnex looks bigger then the 34g CAD am I just crazy?

That makes sense then, what about my eyes telling me the 30g Finnex looks bigger then the 34g CAD am I just crazy?

The display area of Finnex 30g is 24" x 14" x 17" (height). It is actually bigger than CAD tank.

Well I finally made up my mind and decided not to go custom, I just ordered a 30g Finnex from OceanReeFlections along with a Coral Life 50GPD RODI and one Koralia #2. I will PROBABLY be building my own stand.

Can't wait!! (but I will be taking my time ;))

The display area of Finnex 30g is 24" x 14" x 17" (height). It is actually bigger than CAD tank.

The Finnex is definitely a true 30g tank that will hold 30 gallons!

Well I finally made up my mind and decided not to go custom, I just ordered a 30g Finnex from OceanReeFlections along with a Coral Life 50GPD RODI and one Koralia #2. I will PROBABLY be building my own stand.

Can't wait!! (but I will be taking my time ;))

good decision...what light did you get with it?

niiiiiice...cant wait to see it set up B)

Thanks. I'm trying to design a stand in sketchup that I will probably build on Sat. Building the frame from 1x2s but I haven't figured out what I want to wrap it in yet.

Homemade stand is probaby the way to go. I have the Finnex stand it's it's pretty sturdy. Not flimsy like the CAD stands that the CAD owners are reporting. it's enough to hold the weight of the tank at least, somewhere near 400lbs.?? But good lighting choice you went with. If money had not been an option when I got my tank, I'd have gone for MH as well... There's always the Sunpod option for me though.

I emailed Ron the results of my pump swap and suggested that they look into a pump upgrade option perhaps using the Rio 12HF or 14HF pumps like I used. Wouldn't be a bad idea I think for reefers wanting extra or double the flow of stock.

Archived