SaltCritters.com

Finnex 30g owners unite!

Phixion

My skimmer seems to skim wet as well, but I've heard a wet skim is better anyways. No bubbles here with mine either. :) Your tank looks nice, Zann!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It definitely does get better over time and once it's broken in good. :) Just keep an eye on it, with my tank at least detrius seems to build up on the skimmer chamber floor and then eventually clog up the intake strainer, so I have the clean it out once every 2 months or so.

I was poking around Finnex's site today to email Ron a couple questions. Anywho I noticed that they sell a neat little dual fan cooling thing similar to the Aqua-Tek fans, that attach to the false wall. Have any of you purchsed this accessory, or any others that they have now available on their website? for thos that havn't visited the site in a while, it's totally redone and offers A LOT more things for sale now including the tanks them self.

cool they did redo there site and you can buy direct from them now.

and the cooling fan is a great deal i have a small fan blowing on mine but this will look so much better

cool they did redo there site and you can buy direct from them now.

and the cooling fan is a great deal i have a small fan blowing on mine but this will look so much better

I agree! I'm glad they finally stepped up their website BIG TIME and can be ordered from directly now as well. Ron can always be emailed with a quickness for replacement parts like the drip-tray I had to reorder a couple of a couple weeks ago when my original one finally broke off the hinge. :(

yeah he is good people to work with always fast to respond.

i just dont understand why everyone has to have a nano cube and such when theres a less exspencive better product out there like finnex with more opptions for lighting and such.

Hi guys/gals... i have been researching the All-in-one tanks for a while now and a couple of weeks ago i made up my mind to go with the finnex 30 :) and just like one of the posters i am buying all the other things before i buy the actual tank bc i will just jump into it as well lol, here are my plans and will start a build thread as soon as i get all my toys in :)

BB SPS/pipefish(only) dominated tank:

-30G Finnex M-Tank

-Reef Keeper II

-Tek Light 24

-Tunze Nano Skimmer 9002

-Tunze 1X6055(with controller) 1X6025(might mod it if not enough flow...)

-Starboard(no sand :)

I am pretty much done buying everything, it is most in route as we speak, and i will be purchasing the tank today.... and now my final purchase is going to be a nice fan to cool the water down some :) i will have to look into the finnex one as well... thanks for the great thread def has some good ideas :)

The ReefKeeper2 (or ACjr. like I have for that matter) will probably end up being one of your most prized purchases for your tank. Excellent choice there deciding to get one. :)

I love that some CAD owners insist that their tanks don't need mods. Heck, even adding a Hydor-Flo is a mod, lol! I love how with all the mods I've done to my 30g glass tank, not a single one has required any tools to be installed. :) The TEK reflectors just clip in, the Hydor-Flo is a no brainer, and my ATO just clips on as well using the hanging attachments. Even the Aqua-Tek fan over my return chamber didn't require a single tool to install, nor did the pair of R2 moonLEDs that I installed into the hood. :)

yea right now i have well what is left of the tank anyways.... 2 Tunze 6100 along with about 1100 GPH coming from return in other words tons of flow!!! lol.... so my corals i guess are use to it :). I spoke to Ron at Finnex and i am getting the tank by itself with the return pump along with the clip on fan you linked me too :) thanks. Should be a great setup! i would like to hook up a squid to it as well or split the return pump into 2 outputs and hook up a dual hydor flows to make a little more water flow :) i guess once i see the tank in person i will be able to visualize what i want to do a little better :)

for me i dont feel like anything is good enough until i mod it and add my own little touch to it ;) yea i had a RK in my old SPS tank as well(breaking it down :( ) and loved it....

thanks guys :)

haha, a tank is NEVER personal unless it's modded to your needs. ;)

That's awesome Ron can accomidate you and exclude the things you don't need like the skimmer and such. I've thought about dual returns for my tank... I haven't heard of anyone upgrade the main pump though, maybe that's a good thing? But I DO wonder what other pumps would work off the bat without much modification to fit the "T" pipe design. I have a locline piece and will be getting a "1/2 bulkhead to fit it on the false wall, and then I'll have a nice "Y" setup with a nozzle let attachment at the ends. The flow from the stock pump even with the T pipe turned to max for the fuge, is too much flow for my Hydor-Flo, lol!

damn i want to put in hydor lol....

It works, mine just stops turning after about a week. I never had that issue when I had one in my Aquapod... But it makes sense since it's rated at 310gph max flow through it and the stock pump is putting out almost 500gph, lol!

That fan looks interesting, but it doesn't look like it will work with the glass cover on the back of the 30g. I'd love to run without the glass covers, since I have an ATO setup to take care of evap, but I haven't figured out a good solution to keep the fishies in the tank yet. I saw a mod using window screen frame with some wide-hole plastic mesh on a different model tank, but the feet on the finnex light fixture would get in the way. Curious to know what others have come up with.

As far as my mods...just got my 30g setup over the weekend...saltwater only in it now, need to order some live rock. I have the heater in the fuge right now, though I will probably move it eventually to under the fuge, next to the return pump. Hard to get to to adjust, but I will have it connected to a controller so probably minimal need to do so. Tunze Osmolator topoff is in the last chamber above the return pump, works like a champ. I ditched the stock skimmer off the bat to go with a Tunze nano...because the Tunze nano doesn't have a defined output tube, I put in another baffle so the flow from the first chamber goes under the baffle and then over into the "drop-in media" area. Keeps any film from the surface skimmer in the first chamber, and should further eliminate any chance of microbubbles from the skimmer. With the Tunze nano, there is PLENTY of room underneath for one or two additional pumps, if I felt like plumbing in a skimmer or some additional flow through the false wall. Decided I wanted the flexibility of a powerhead instead, tho, and will be using a Tunze 6025.

I am most excited about the dual-head peristaltic pump I got on eBay that will drive my automatic water change system. Pulls water out at exactly the same rate as it pumps water in, I'll be doing continuous water changes, probably 5-10% per week. It should arrive tomorrow, then I just need to order tubing for it so I can get it set up. I'll definitely post pics and details.

well unfortunately there were no more 6055's at the time of my order so i had to change it to two 6045's i will figuer something out to make my wave action be it split the return and put two hydor wave maker things, or somehow setup a SQWD..... either way stuff is comming.... :)

Also can't wait to see that setup, Erick. :)

Deadfishy... Are you positive you're fish will jump? I'm completely topless with my tank and haven't used my glass covers in months! I have a dusky jawfish which of course jawfish in general are notorious jumpers, but I've never had an issue. I also now have a fridmani pseudochromis and a mated pair of tomato clowns. Not a single problem though going topless, not to mention I couldn't anyways with the fan I run on the tank. I did just order the Finnex fan (which is actually made by Jebo I was informed) from OceanReeflections. :)

trust me the minute i get the tank in and the pumps i will take pics!! :) i dont want to spoil it just yet so i will take a pic of all the equipment and then an FTS with all the SPS ;)

Archived