SaltCritters.com

Finnex 30g owners unite!

Phixion

Sounds like it might connect to the skimmer pump or the main pump. See if it fits to the intake of either pumps. I guess that there is also a possibility that it goes on outlet of the skimmer to help reduce the microbubbles.

On the skimmer, that's a thought. I've got everything else together (I think), but the skimmer will remain a mystery until I can test it out.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the skimmer, that's a thought. I've got everything else together (I think), but the skimmer will remain a mystery until I can test it out.

I also got what looks like a hang on shelf with a thin white sponge on it. Any idea what that is for? I don't see it in anyone else's pictures. I can't post photos right now. I have to get a photobucket account.

I'm sorry for all the questions, but I got no instructions and everything was packed seperately.

Bill

I also got what looks like a hang on shelf with a thin white sponge on it. Any idea what that is for? I don't see it in anyone else's pictures. I can't post photos right now. I have to get a photobucket account.

I'm sorry for all the questions, but I got no instructions and everything was packed seperately.

Bill

I bet that the foam shelf hangs in the middle pump chamber to strain and remove the micro bubbles out of the water that is pouring over from the skimmer chamber. I know that I put sponges in there to mute the noise, strain, and remove bubbles. That's my guess.

I wish I had all that stuff...

I bet that the foam shelf hangs in the middle pump chamber to strain and remove the micro bubbles out of the water that is pouring over from the skimmer chamber. I know that I put sponges in there to mute the noise, strain, and remove bubbles. That's my guess.

I wish I had all that stuff...

That might work. I'll look at it.

Bill

That might work. I'll look at it.

Bill

Yep, the shelf fits there perfectly. It has a small sponge on top and the bottom has multiple holes to let water flow through. It is perfect for keeping bubbles out of the return chamber.

Thanks for figuring that out!

Bill

I know!! Maybe the skimmer fix kit they told me about will include that stuff... =/ Mine didn't come with any sponge stuff, hmm...

Does anyone have any idea how to go about wiring the moonlights to an independent control??? I think I may email Ken about doing this... I am also going to ask him about the shelf w/ sponge...I wish mine had included that.

Dang, Phix, your tank came with nothing like that. You should call them up!

Hey, we could be wrong about what this stuff is really for! Without instructions, it's all guess work. But it looks like it's for the skimmer. Ken said they would send the instructions along with the lights. Maybe we will be illuminated (cough) at that time.

It's kind of neat that they are still committed to fixing any problems with a tank they have discontinued.

Bill

Hey, we could be wrong about what this stuff is really for! Without instructions, it's all guess work. But it looks like it's for the skimmer. Ken said they would send the instructions along with the lights. Maybe we will be illuminated (cough) at that time.

It's kind of neat that they are still committed to fixing any problems with a tank they have discontinued.

Bill

You guys figured it out exectly. Ken sent me a pdf of the way everything is supposed to be set up, and the sponges go on the skimmer in just the way predicted.

Bill

Anyway you could send me that PDF? I sent Ken an email asking if he would send the skimmer fix kit with my light and a pump cap that was cracked when the tank arrived. He said yes, so hopefully that will be next week.

Does anyone have any idea how to go about wiring the moonlights to an independent control??? I think I may email Ken about doing this... I am also going to ask him about the shelf w/ sponge...I wish mine had included that.

I asked them about the moonlights, and they said I could wire them myself, but didn't explain how. I'd imagine from a liability standpoint, they won't tell you how to but it shouldn't be that difficult...

Ken's response to my email about the moonlights:

"It is not so difficult. However, you need to have an additional power supply cord and a power switch."

I am going to see if he will elaborate for me... My guess is that he won't based on what you said about liability. I am very tempted to try this even with no electrical knowledge. It would make the lighting system much better... I'll see what I can find out...

What skimmer fix kit??? please explain this more, we just got it like 3-4 weeks ago and I have no sponge.

Apparently Finnex came out with a skimmer modification kit to help reduce microbubbles back into the display tank??? I asked Ken about this and he said they will sending them out to everyone who has purchased the tank. He also said that if you purchased the tank from one of the online retailers, i.e. nanotuners.com or premiumaquatics.com they have your name and address already on file and will be sending them out soon.

Well, I don't think the stand will win any awards for ease of assembly or beauty, but I guess it will do. The instructions are really pretty bad, even for self-assemble furniture. And one of the wing supports which come up the side of the main stand and support the overhanging tank platform was too long. I had to sand it down level with the bottom of the platform or the tank would not have been level.

Be advised that I used to be the stand assembler at a TV/Stereo store, so I know of what I speak! Total assembly time including sanding - approx 1 hour and 10 minutes. Make sure you have a rubber mallet or are a soft touch with a hammer.

Bill

OK, it took about 26 gallons of water to fill, no rocks or sand in it yet of course. The skimmer isn't turned on, so that might suck up a gallon or two. How does this compare to everyone else's experience?

Bill

Edit: After a recount, it was only 25 gallons.

OK, it took about 26 gallons of water to fill, no rocks or sand in it yet of course. The skimmer isn't turned on, so that might suck up a gallon or two. How does this compare to everyone else's experience?

Bill

Edit: After a recount, it was only 25 gallons.

I'd say that about right.... Mine was pretty full after 26lbs of rock, "2.5 of sandbed and 20g of water... It took about 25-26g total I'd say.

I was told the same thing about the skimmer fix kit, anyone that bought it online should receive it soon and those from LFS are kinda SOL on it... =/ I got mine from PA, so I should be fine.

And I agree Bill, the stand was a PITA to assumble, but it seems sturdy enough, it supports the 350lbs.+ weight of the tank at least. ;)

Do you use any filter floss? If so, where have you found is the best place to put it?

Also, what have you put on the outflow pipe? Is there anything like a Hydor Flo that will work on it?

Thanks,

Bill

Do you use any filter floss? If so, where have you found is the best place to put it?

Also, what have you put on the outflow pipe? Is there anything like a Hydor Flo that will work on it?

Thanks,

Bill

No filter floss here... As for a Hydor-Flo, unfortunately short of a Tunze Turbelle or the similar one that someone recently posted about (ac actual orbital rotating power-head) the Hydor only works for up to 310gph flow rate... =/

Although the hydorflow only works up to 310, I highly doubt that the stock pump puts that through the outlet. After diverting to the fuge and then going through all those turns, I think it is far below the reported 500. I have felt mine, and I would place it under 300, but maybe that is just mine...

Also, I attached lockline to my outlet and added a y, so I have two outlets at the moment. If you do that you can for sure add a hydor to one of the outlets.

Although the hydorflow only works up to 310, I highly doubt that the stock pump puts that through the outlet. After diverting to the fuge and then going through all those turns, I think it is far below the reported 500. I have felt mine, and I would place it under 300, but maybe that is just mine...

Also, I attached lockline to my outlet and added a y, so I have two outlets at the moment. If you do that you can for sure add a hydor to one of the outlets.

This is true! At the moment my flow is high since I have the fuge flow off right now. But another member who got the tank before I got mine, had a Hydor flow on his and wondered why it worked fine on another tank, and didn't work on his Finnex 30g...

Sure is loud as the water cascades back from the skimmer chamber into the return chamber. Or is that because of the "shelf" feature of the new anti-bubble kit?

And I agree that a Hydor Flo would probably stick to the outlet pipe once the outlet into the refugium chamber is factored in.

Bill

Well, after several hours things are improving. For some reason the water level in the middle chamber was too low, and that was what was causing the unit to run so loud. I have no idea why this happened. Now it is higher and the waterfall is much quieter. Any idea how this is regulated?

I also think the shelf in the center chamber with the sponge is more for cleaning the water then cleansing bubbles. The overflow pours right through it. I think the smallest penguin filter would fit over the tray.

Bill

Well, after several hours things are improving. For some reason the water level in the middle chamber was too low, and that was what was causing the unit to run so loud. I have no idea why this happened. Now it is higher and the waterfall is much quieter. Any idea how this is regulated?

I also think the shelf in the center chamber with the sponge is more for cleaning the water then cleansing bubbles. The overflow pours right through it. I think the smallest penguin filter would fit over the tray.

Bill

You regulate it by adjusting the refugium knob. Depending on how much flow goes through the refugium determines how high the center chamber is.

Also I am using a JBJ pump, and I love the amount of flow I'm getting.

JBJ Dual Output, it was $11 Bucks I get 290gph and it hits off the front glass panel and the back one at the same time creating a great flow pattern. Combine that with the pump in the rear and I think the flow is outstanding, It's nice becasue I have a low flow area right at the center bottom for corals that don't like high flow or bright light.

Apparently Finnex came out with a skimmer modification kit to help reduce microbubbles back into the display tank??? I asked Ken about this and he said they will sending them out to everyone who has purchased the tank. He also said that if you purchased the tank from one of the online retailers, i.e. nanotuners.com or premiumaquatics.com they have your name and address already on file and will be sending them out soon.

Great I bought mine from Premium, so I guess I just have to sit back and wait for the post man.

I have been able to get the water level up a bit in the center section. That results in very little flow through the fuge though.

I tried out the skimmer for the first time, and that really droped the center water section again :huh: . I need to play with all the settings. Is there supposed to be water in the collection cup, or only dirty bubbles? Mine filled right up with water. Is there a photo somewhere of what the collection cup is supposed to look like when operating correctly?

Any help is as always appreciated.

Bill

Where are you guys keeping the water level for the center chamber? The diagram shows to keep it below the refugium, which is what I did when I leak tested mine. That makes it seem like there is a good amount of flow in the refugium and keeps the water out of the gap between the exterior glass and refugium. I had read some other threads where people were having problems with algae growing in the gap and you couldn't see the refugium from the back.

Archived