Innovative Marine Aquariums

Finnex 30g owners unite!

Phixion

Since I know of a few recent (and some not so recent) Finnex 30g owners, I thought it would be fitting to start a thread on and about them to share and discuss things we've done with ours, and how we all each have them set up. I have the glass model, and i'm sure most others with this tank have the glass one as well, in fact I'm not sure if there's a non-glass 30g model...

My first question for owners is how do you have your main pump return set up? Mine just came with the plumbing tube poking about "1/4 out of the false wall, but nothing connected to it on the display side. Luckily the nozzel fitting from the MJ900 I had in my Aquapod fit the piping perfectly! I'd like to get a Locline Y fitting with spray bars on the end. What size is the piping, my guess is "1/2 inch??

Also how do any of you work the moonlight situation that they turn on when the actinics are turned off? My issue with this is I can't have them on a timer since the "hight" cycle would cut the power completely to the actinic circuit, thus the moonlights won't come on. Finnex said the only fix is for me to wire up my own P/S to the moonlights for independant control. I'm disapointed in that design and their lack to fix it. =/

And then I found out last night why the intake grate into the skimmer chamber should be kept clean and clear. Mine had flow through it, but when I cleaned it out last night the flow doubled and the rear area filled up more and faster.

How do any of you owners have the fuge return line adjusted? I adjust mine every other day between medium flow then to no flow at all. of course more water has to be kept in the skimmer/pump chambers when flow is directed to the fuge area as the skimmer/pump chambers water level lowers as I discovered.

With the skimmer, maybe it's my lack of knowledge of them (most likely) but are you other owners getting a foamy froath in the cup, or a more nasty liquidy soupy skimmate? Mine is the liquid variety with a pinch of foam on the top of it... The skimmer is working good though it seems for me.

Now the back area, how does everyone have their's set up? I have 2 heaters in the fuge chamber (100w Theo and a 50w Theo with the 50w plugged into my night cycle on my timer so it's off in the daytime). Then I also have about 2lbs. of L/R rubble, a sack of Purigen and a sack of PhosGuard also in the fuge area. No chaeto in there yet, but that should change after this weekend. I also keep a couple small cubes of Sea-Lab #28 in the pump chamber since it has the most flow in it. Also I keep only the front glass cover on over the tank since the rear cover is over my clam and blocks out some of the light spectrum to the clam.

Let's hear all other Finnex 30g's observations and set ups of their tanks! B)

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is on the way next week, so please everybody who has one chime in! There is nothing like learning from the hands-on experience of others. :D

Bill

Mine is on the way next week, so please everybody who has one chime in! There is nothing like learning from the hands-on experience of others. :D

Bill

Couldn't agree more! Mine is only 2 weeks old, but treating me good so far!! You can read up on mine personally in the link to it in my signatuer below.

I have lockline fitting to the main pump with a splitter so I get two outlets. I also have two mini pumps in the display area each rated at about 120 gph. I also have a mj1200 in the first chamber with lockline going into the display area with a hydor on it. I cant remember what size lockline I used...

I keep the lights on timers so at night they just turn off. I dont really like to spotlight look of the moonlights.

I replaced the skimmer with a used tunze 9002 that skims A LOT better, and there are no more microbubbles. I have the extra flow of the mj1200 in the back which made my bubble problem really bad.

I keep around 2 lbs of lr and some sand in the fuge with chaeto and some red algae of some sort. I keep carbon, purigen, phosgaurd, and chemipure. I keep most of the chemicals under the skimmer and a few more in the space underneath the fuge. I also keep #28, but I put them into the skimmer chamber as they dissolve really fast if they are in the pump chamber.

Me, being an idiot, broke my front glass cover and then cracked the back glass cover. The back still works, but it has a hairline fracture.

I really like this tank...it has a lot of space to work with and has a pretty clean look that I apprecaite. It also looks less like a toy than most of the all-in-ones do.

What lights did everyone get? I got the t-5's and then slid my viper 150 under the lip of the light to get an extra 150 watts.

Nice setup Hoobahans. I love the look of this tank verses others as well. I too have the 4x24w T5HO fixture. 96w is just fine for me and my needs thus far.

The Y-split locline on your main pump return line, did it come with your tank or did you add it on yourself?? I'm kinda wondering why mine (or any of the tanks) didn't come with some sort of end fitting to the return line...

Also , Finnex told me directly that they will soon be releasing and sending out an upgrade fix for the skimmer kit to anyone that purchased the tank from an online retailer such as Nanotuners or PremiumAquatics. It should eliminate they micro-bubble issue they say.

Couldn't agree more! Mine is only 2 weeks old, but treating me good so far!! You can read up on mine personally in the link to it in my signatuer below.

I have been reading your posts, as well as any others on the subject. It helped me reach my decision. BTW I went with the 150 MH lighting. I want to try some high-light stuff this time. Finally, I can keep a clam and not feel guilty (or more accuratley, be made to feel guilty)! I will keep my nanocubes as softie only tanks.

Man this hobby gets addicting. I just set up a 12 gallon nanocube two months ago, but it wasn't big enough. My 24 gallon (which was a reef tank before I moved from California) currently has some freshwater fish in it, but they may be looking for a new home soon. I'm thinking of using the 24 as a laid-back softy tank, and the 12 as a quarentine. Or maybe vice versa. You never know, ya know?

Phixion, how's the weather in Pasadena? I can't believe it snowed In Valencia, my old home town, before it did here in my part of NY!

Bill

I added the lockline myself. It didnt fit too well so I used various fittings I had lying around to hook it up. I heard about the fit the day after I got the tunze, but this one is easier to use and I think it skims better anyway. I heard the finnex is discontinuing the 30, is that true?

I added the lockline myself. It didnt fit too well so I used various fittings I had lying around to hook it up. I heard about the fit the day after I got the tunze, but this one is easier to use and I think it skims better anyway. I heard the finnex is discontinuing the 30, is that true?

They are discontinuing them, but still have a few. They said the problem was the time and expense in preparing them for shipment. They can only ship out about 5 a week, which isn't cost effective.

Bill

Phixion, how's the weather in Pasadena? I can't believe it snowed In Valencia, my old home town, before it did here in my part of NY!

Bill

Hey Bill, weather here is good now, almost back to normal. i think we hit the upper high 20's a couple nights. I was disapointed Malibu and West Hollywood got snow and we didn't here in Pasadena along the San Gabriels. :( Maybe next year or something, lol! The 5 was shut down for almost 24 hours that same day though, but that's almost a given if the lower levels are getting snow too.

My tank is scheduled to arive on Tuesday. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is in one piece. The lights won't come until next week, but I can start with the leak-testing and water-mixing in he meantime.

Bill

Well, the tank arrived today on schedule. Thank goodness for double boxing. There were several holes kicked through the outer box. The inner box looks OK. I have opened the box and looked at the tank, but have not removed it yet. This is one heavy tank fo its size, and I will wait for my teenaged son to get home and help me lift it out of the box. There don't seem to be any instructions. Am I missing something? I saw a thread over on RC that details how to assemble it. I will check that out.

Anything I should be looking out for?

Bill

The instructions are inside of the tank, mine were in the back cmaber wrapped around the skimmer.

On a side note, I have been getting really bad slime algae on the left hand side of my tank. I havnt been able ot figure out what I am getting it. I dont get it anywere other than the right hand side. Last night, when I turned off the main lights on the tank, I realized that the light that was leaking from the fuge light perfectly illuminated the slime algae growth and nothing else. Turns out that, because I turn on the fuge light at night, the righ hand side of my tank was getting 24 hour light, half of which was 6500, perfect for algae. I think I will be using a day-time cycle for all the lights from now on.

The instructions are inside of the tank, mine were in the back cmaber wrapped around the skimmer.

On a side note, I have been getting really bad slime algae on the left hand side of my tank. I havnt been able ot figure out what I am getting it. I dont get it anywere other than the right hand side. Last night, when I turned off the main lights on the tank, I realized that the light that was leaking from the fuge light perfectly illuminated the slime algae growth and nothing else. Turns out that, because I turn on the fuge light at night, the righ hand side of my tank was getting 24 hour light, half of which was 6500, perfect for algae. I think I will be using a day-time cycle for all the lights from now on.

Good looking out on that. I haven't gotten any red slime in this tank like i had in my previous tank. BUT my phosphates are 0.1 right now, which would explain why GHA is begnning to grow on the display side of the false wall. :( it's not significant yet, but it will be soon unless I figure out how to remove it without it spreading around... I DO need more flow in the tank, that's for sure.

Bill, my instructions were at the bottom of the display area under the main light fixture. The instructions are rather crude and don't explain very much. My main pump came bubble wrapped and the skimmer pump came in a box in the skimmer chamber on the left side. The fuge light, main light legs and something else i don't remember came in the fuge chamber. The main pump came also in the skimmer chamber sitting atop the skimmer pump. Did anyone's tank come with a return nozzle or locline or anything like that, or was everyone's like mine with just the end of a pipe coming out through the false wall? I wish there was a Hydor that was rated over 310gph for better water movement... :(

My tank was delivered 2 weeks ago and I am hoping to get the lights ordered next week. I went with 150 W upgrade! Ken at Finnex said he hopes for the shipment to be in late this week and will send them out first thing next week. So, I will keep my fingers crossed. I have leak tested the tank and everything went fine. Once, I get the room painted that it is going in, I will get it set up, hopefully before the lights arrive. Look forward to reading this thread for any tips that you guys will have.

My tank was delivered 2 weeks ago and I am hoping to get the lights ordered next week. I went with 150 W upgrade! Ken at Finnex said he hopes for the shipment to be in late this week and will send them out first thing next week. So, I will keep my fingers crossed. I have leak tested the tank and everything went fine. Once, I get the room painted that it is going in, I will get it set up, hopefully before the lights arrive. Look forward to reading this thread for any tips that you guys will have.

I am in the same boat. The lights are supposed to get here end of the week or early next week.

I will look for the instructions where you guys indicated. I still haven't taken it out of the box.

Bill

Nope, no instructions. Maybe they will be in with the lights? I will refer to the thread over on RC for instructions, but I am sure I will be bugging you guys for details. It is probably easier than it looks (he says hopefully). The glass covers in particuular look funky!

Bill

I have had this tank set up for about 3 weeks, and I still get micro bubbles from the skimmer. I guess the tank can't be perfect.

I still have bubbles from mine after a week of using it, but the bubbles are very minimal. Have you tried readjusting the valve on the skimmer?

Bill, once the tank is set up, the glass covers will make more sense. ;) The smaller one is for the front, the odd shapped is for a rear and curved to fit around the skimmer.

I still have bubbles from mine after a week of using it, but the bubbles are very minimal. Have you tried readjusting the valve on the skimmer?

Bill, once the tank is set up, the glass covers will make more sense. ;) The smaller one is for the front, the odd shapped is for a rear and curved to fit around the skimmer.

this sounds like a good tank. Can I purchase just the tank only b/c i have an extra light lying around?

this sounds like a good tank. Can I purchase just the tank only b/c i have an extra light lying around?

No, the tank comes with some sort of lighting standard. Also the tank is now discontinued, but the factory still has some left that you can buy from Premium Aquatics online.

Unlike some people, my pumps, pipes, elbows etc. came loose and seperately packaged. I have lots of stuff I'm trying to figure out. I'll keep looking at the photos. Where does the sponge with the piece of pipe go?

The only skimmer I have any experience with was the Fission Nano, and that was different than the one on this tank.

Bill

Unlike some people, my pumps, pipes, elbows etc. came loose and seperately packaged. I have lots of stuff I'm trying to figure out. I'll keep looking at the photos. Where does the sponge with the piece of pipe go?

The only skimmer I have any experience with was the Fission Nano, and that was different than the one on this tank.

Bill

I didnt get any sponges...

I didnt get any sponges...

I got a black sponge reminiscent of a Nanocube sponge, but with a section of black plastic pipe going partially through it.

Bill

I got a black sponge reminiscent of a Nanocube sponge, but with a section of black plastic pipe going partially through it.

Bill

Sounds like it might connect to the skimmer pump or the main pump. See if it fits to the intake of either pumps. I guess that there is also a possibility that it goes on outlet of the skimmer to help reduce the microbubbles.

Archived