ReefCleaners.org

Finnex 30g owners unite!

Phixion

Tunze 9002 is also a great skimmer. I got it and am getting way more skimmate, and way thinker skimmate than the stock one. And...drum roll, no microbubbles!

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did the other skimmers just drop right in? Or did you need to rig it somehow...

The tunze dropped right in. You just have to hang it with the provided kit in the first chamber.

Ok guys, here is my 30G Finnex after I finally found a piece of furniture to put it on. The tank has been cycling since Sunday. The pictures are with the 150W HQI on only. I am new at posting pictures, so I don't know if I will do it right or not, so take it easy on me if I donot....

post-1762-1171408102_thumb.jpg

post-1762-1171408102_thumb.jpg

from the picture it looks like your skimmate is clear. this should be really messy and gross stuff. another way to post pictures would be to upload to photobucket and then to just copy the box into your post.

Cshradr7- Yes, the skimmate is clear. The skimmer has only been running on and off since Sunday. I haven't gotten a good surge protector or power center yet, so I have only been really running the main pump in the center chamber all the time and playing with everything else. Thanks for the advice on posting pictures, guess I'll have to sign up for photobucket.

evolution8888- the fuge light did not come with legs. It has little tabs that are on the corners but I wouldn't call them legs... Its just sitting on the glass that came with the tank.

I just "upgraded" my 4x24 T5HO fixture by adding in a pair of SLS TEK clip-on reflectors to the 10,000K daylight bulbs. Definitely gives out a bit more intense light, though it's a tight fit with the Actinic bulbs, and the reflectors cover up the moon LEDs completely. =/ But it's a nice upgrade I think though. I'll try to get some pics of it when I can. With the skimmer fix kit, I only put the air-intake "silencer" on the air line to quiet it down a bit and the skimmer seems to be making a more frothy foam now with the silencer in place.

Did everyone recieve the glass top and the legs for the refugium light? I didn't recieve either of these things with my tank.

There are no legs for the refugium light. It just sits on the glass over the 'fuge. And I think you might have gotten the glass for the light. What looks like a particle board protector for the bulbs is actually a piece of glass covered on both sides by a brown peel-off piece of paper. Slide it out and peel off the paper.

Bill

My tank came with both glass tank cover pieces. I got some odd "legs" with my tank but still don't know what on earth they go to, anyone get these?? I thought maybe the fuge light, but it won't fit with it. I have both glass tops OFF of my tank right now, and the fuge light fits perfectly over the fuge chamber resting on both the fuge/center chamber divider wall and the frame of the tank.

Phixion,

Are they grey in color and U-shaped with 2 holes in one end and 1 hole in the other?

No, mine are clear like the main light fixture legs and in a very wide V shape... Reminds me of a boomerang with a precise angle in the middle rather than a round bend.

Not sure what those are. Mine came with these grey brackets that I didn't know what to do with, until I fooled around with them long enough that I figured out that they were used in conjuction with the main light fixture legs, to get the light up a little higher.

Not sure what those are. Mine came with these grey brackets that I didn't know what to do with, until I fooled around with them long enough that I figured out that they were used in conjuction with the main light fixture legs, to get the light up a little higher.

Mine didn't come with those though the instructions detailed to use them. I wouldn't have anyways so no loss there for me. ;) I don't mind the fuge light not having legs either, keeps it as low to the water level as possible which means less light to leak into the main tank if I run the fuge light after my main lights are off which I usually do for a few hours a day.

I haven't really done much with my tank since I started cycling it this last weekend, and I am leaving tomorrow for vacation for a week. So i'll have more updates when I get back next weekend, hopefully!

phixon: are these the clear boomerang shaped things that your talking about that help to steady the main light?

Settingupnewtank008.jpg

Those U shaped pieces only come with the MH system because they put off so much extra heat...so don't worry if you didn't get them with the T5's

Oh wow, thanks Cshradr7. Those are the exact pieces I'm refering to. So they go with the main fixture? The instructions are seriously useless, they make NO reference to those pieces and only to the riser brackets for the MH fixtures.

Knock wood very hard :) , but my tank is now bubble free. The stock skimmer is now making a pure foam skimate, and there seem to be no more bubble problems with the 'fuge. Needless to say the tank is far more attractive with clear, bubble free water.

Bill

Just to clarify for us all, how's your tank setup, as in are you using ALL of the sponges and stuff provided with the tank, and what's your flow like to the fuge?

I'm also curious, for the T5HO lit tanks, how often are you guys topping off, and what are you going by to determine when to top off??

Just to clarify for us all, how's your tank setup, as in are you using ALL of the sponges and stuff provided with the tank, and what's your flow like to the fuge?

I'm also curious, for the T5HO lit tanks, how often are you guys topping off, and what are you going by to determine when to top off??

I am using all the sponges. I keep the water level in the middle chamber just below the level of the drip tray sponge, maybe just touching it after top off. BTW I abandoned that sponge and just use a slug of filter floss, which I change every day.

I would say that the flow into the 'fuge is moderate: looking down the inflow pipe into the 'fuge the knob is at the 4:00/10:00 o'clock position. This provides obvious outflow from the 'fuge grate, but not a torrent.

Something just seemed to happen to the skimmer over night. Maybe this is the fabled "break-in." The nature of the skimate changed without my making any adjustments.

I have the 150HQI lights on a 7 hour cycle and am running topless. I add less than a half gallon a day, a little in the morning and a little at night. I really don't know exactly how much. I just add enough water to bring the level back up to the bottom of the drip tray

Bill

I have the Mh kit and I didn't get those V-shaped legs....Hmmm..what's going on here?

Are you talking about the black U shaped brackets? They go between the clear plastic legs and the light fixture to supply some extra height above the water. You use the clear screws to attach the legs to the brackets, and the black pins to keep the bracket from sliding off the fixture. It took me several days to figure this out....

Bill

Archived