Coral Vue Hydros

Finnex 30g owners unite!

Phixion

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have those, I was talking about the V shaped plastic legs.

I didn't get any V shaped plastic legs, just the clear plastic risers and the black U's.

Bill

the t5 kit gets the V shaped things because they slide into the clear risers like i showed in the picture above but does not get the U shaped brackets because they t5 lights do not produce nearly as much heat as the MH.

the MH kit gets the U shaped brackets but not the V shaped brackets because they need to get the light off the water a little more or the heat would fluxuate too much. there is no spot on these U shaped brackets to connect the clear V brackets so you did not get them.

Those of you who have been following my other thread on trying to rescue the angel from under the refugium know my tank has been somewhat disrupted. It has been interesting to see what impact this has had on the operation of the tank.

I have had to remove the pump several times to try and get to the fish (unsuccessfully so far), and also have turned power off to the skimmer on several occasions.

Well, the tank ain't bubbleless anymore! Both the skimmer and the 'fuge are pouring out bubbles again. And last night my skimmer overflowed the cup.

This is an excellent demonstration of how this tank LOVES stability. I guess that is true of any tank. But it also argues for patience. Just letting it run without playing with it was I think the key to getting everything to settle down. I wonder how long it will take for things to return back to "normal?"

Bill

I've been pondering the idea if plumbing the fuge flow to it's own seperate pump and keeping the main pump to the display return only. Has anyone else considered or done this?? Can anyone foresee any complications to doing this?? I just don't like how much the main display return flow is cut when the fuge flow is on, thus why I usually keep my fuge flow OFF. =/

I've been pondering the idea if plumbing the fuge flow to it's own seperate pump and keeping the main pump to the display return only. Has anyone else considered or done this?? Can anyone foresee any complications to doing this?? I just don't like how much the main display return flow is cut when the fuge flow is on, thus why I usually keep my fuge flow OFF. =/

I think this would be an excellent idea! It would solve both the weak flow and 'fuge bubble problem. Would you be drilling, or using seperate intake/outflow pumps in the fuge?

BTW my skimmer stopped putting bubbles in the tank again within 36 hours of being turned back on, and the 'fuge is almost normal as far as bubble making goes. So the tank does improve with age.

Bill

I've actually been thinking of extending the intake pipe for the return pump to go down farther under the fuge. I think most of the bubbles are coming from the flow from the skimmer chamber down to the return chamber. This is because I have the water level down to about 6 or 8 inches above the return pump so i don't get algea growing between the Fuge and the side of the tank. i like to see what I have in the fuge and it was be impossible to clean between the two pieces of glass.

I think this would be an excellent idea! It would solve both the weak flow and 'fuge bubble problem. Would you be drilling, or using seperate intake/outflow pumps in the fuge?

BTW my skimmer stopped putting bubbles in the tank again within 36 hours of being turned back on, and the 'fuge is almost normal as far as bubble making goes. So the tank does improve with age.

Bill

I'd be using seperate intake pumps from the fuge plumbed to the fuge intake pipe. I don't plan to do any drilling to the tank.

Just added a Hydor-Flo tonight before topping off, and also turned the fuge flow back ON. I'll see how this works out for me. I guess the rotating flow is ok, but I really liked the constant surface breaking flow I had with the nozzel I was using, it just seemed more effective to me.

my hydor periodically, about once every week to two weeks will stop spinning and just kind of get stuck. i have yet to figure out why this does this, but i suspect it has something to do with the flow coming through it being over what it's made to handle, so just be aware that it can get stuck so check it and clean it once in a while.

my hydor periodically, about once every week to two weeks will stop spinning and just kind of get stuck. i have yet to figure out why this does this, but i suspect it has something to do with the flow coming through it being over what it's made to handle, so just be aware that it can get stuck so check it and clean it once in a while.

Oh yeah definitely! I always was celaning the one i had on my AP12g when it was set up. I think I still might add a pump for some cross flow, probably a Mini or Micro Jet pump.

I guess I'll jump in on this thread. I have an old finnex 32g tank made of acrylic and so far so good. I was wondering what size Y locline to stick on the outlet? I wanted to add a hydor but its rated at 310gph.

I guess I'll jump in on this thread. I have an old finnex 32g tank made of acrylic and so far so good. I was wondering what size Y locline to stick on the outlet? I wanted to add a hydor but its rated at 310gph.

I put a 1/2" bulkhead and 1/2" LocLine.

Plumbing pics

The Y totally KILLS the flow. I tried to add a QuietOne 3000 w/780GPH but it was way to noisy. So I went back to the stock pump and single outlet with LocLine.

Hydor-Flo is working out great so far! I added the driptray with the filter floss that came with it, and NO MORE micro bubbles from the skimmer. I was completely amazed and pesimistice if it would make a differance if any at all. I'm using the tray with the floss in it, but left the sponge in the box it all came in. I can't figure out how the sponge installs with the intake pipe in the way anyways, although I have a good idea how it goes since it has a hole halfway through the sponge, but I didn't feel like messing with that much of it tonight. Since the bubbles are gone just like that by adding in the tray and floss, I'm not going to worry about keeping the sponge in it anyways. In fact, I plan to CUT the sponge to the size of the floss square and see how that works out when the use of the floss is exhausted I'd imagine in a few days. That way I won't have to cut out the floss weekly to keep replacing it with, the sponge can be rinsed and reused.

By the way the new addition of a 6 inch extention to the return pump intake to reduce the Microbubbles didn't work.... Well it did reduce them, but didn't eliminate them. I'll post pics later.

That way I won't have to cut out the floss weekly to keep replacing it with, the sponge can be rinsed and reused.

I wold suggest that you cut a bunch of filter floss to the correct size and change at least once a week. A sponge can build up nitrates in it and even if you think you've cleaned it good there is always residue left.

By the way the new addition of a 6 inch extention to the return pump intake to reduce the Microbubbles didn't work.... Well it did reduce them, but didn't eliminate them. I'll post pics later.

I wold suggest that you cut a bunch of filter floss to the correct size and change at least once a week. A sponge can build up nitrates in it and even if you think you've cleaned it good there is always residue left.

Yeah, you're probably right... =/ Is nylon pillow batting the same as what "filter floss" is made of?? I want to try to find some floss locally to me so I don't have to order any.

Picture Update

This is the modification I made it's just 1in pvc

DSC01538.jpg

This is a picture with the new 250 metal halide

DSC01536.jpg

Looks bad from the out side now but wait until I get some plans together for a stand. I'll make sure to keep you guys posted.

DSC01539.jpg

This picture I just really like.

DSC01529.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, after getting back from vacation I was able to transfer everything from my 7G mini bow to my 30 G Finnex. Here are a few pictures, still kind of plain and not as good as Perry's pics above, but its a start.

30fts2.jpg

clownnem3.jpg

brain1.jpg

ywg1.jpg

Definitely a nice start though!!

Because of my dusky jawfish and it's burrowing and sand shifting, I had to put in a piece of plastic I made from a CD case to cover up the 3 intake holes to the pump chamber. Leaving them open and exposed allowed sand from the jawfish's pile to fall in and get sucked into the pump chamber thus get sucked through the pump and through my Hydor which would very quickly jam up the Hydor making it stop rotating as well as shower the scaping with sand making it look like a snow globe! :rolleyes: So far the blocked intake holes are working out, luckily (at least yet) this isn't an issue with the skimmer chamber.

Also last night I opend and hooked up the JBJ Arctica Nano chiller I bought and had waiting for the summer. Since it's been warming up to the 80's here in So. Cali and expecting to hit 90 next week, I figured it was as good of time as any to hook it up. Not to mention my tank has been hitting the 82 range and hit 83.2 yesterday, and that's with BOTH glass covers removed. I'm running the chiller with an MJ1200 pump which is working out very well thus far. The flow is totally sufficient and the head pressure at the return end is still pretty strong, I'm running it through a total of about '6 feet of "1/2in. I.D. tubing I got from Home Depot. I have the chiller sitting atop the box it came in as to elevate it high off the ground to keep the tube lines shorter, and it's also easier to adjust the temp control knob as well than if it were on the floor. When I got it all hooked up and turned on last night, the tank was at 83.2F. Within 10 minutes the temp was down to 82.8 and after 25 or so minutes the temp was knocked down to 81.5F!! WOW, this thing chills quick and efficiently. When I woke up in the morning the temp was 80.8F and the chiller was off, so I think I found a good setting for it. I'll see what it is when I get home today, I'm sure different results than during the night.

Looks good!

Are you still running the stock return pump or did you upgrade? I am still using it with the Hydor like you have, but I don't think the flow is all that great! Also, what is the powerhead on the left running to?

Looks good!

Are you still running the stock return pump or did you upgrade? I am still using it with the Hydor like you have, but I don't think the flow is all that great! Also, what is the powerhead on the left running to?

Still running the stock main return pump. Flow for me is pretty adaquate even with the fuge flow on about half way like I have. The MJ1200 on the left of the tank goes to my JBJ Arctica Nano chiller. I plan to find a more permenant home for it in the back of the tank somewhere.

Here's my latest FTS...

finnex6.jpg

WOW NICE!

How long have you had that Clam?

How about a top down shot of him?

What and how often to you feed?

I haven't target fed the clam yet, Jin you target fed it, right?? Anywho, I've had the clam for about a month and a half now, but it's 3-4 years old. At least the original owner had it that long ago before it was sold to EXcompany, and then he sold it to me. I do have a top down shot of it, I'll get that for you to show. I do believe I have top down pics of it in the thread on my tank in my sig below.

Archived