SaltCritters.com

Party at my place--BYOD-Bring your own Dremel!

mvite

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A wet tile saw, Yes................ I had a link to a reasonable priced one, but cant find it. Mvite that was the exact tub I used. I still have one left.

That saw is great--I'm so glad they started manufacturing stuff just for us!

I may venture into the saw realm again some day, but right now I just like the thoughts of using a razor blade and dremel.

It's true that the saws were much easier on larger pieces---it's what happened to my tools and my garage---all the rust!

I just unloaded my box o' bounty from BibleSue--and I gots all I needs to get started again. I just have to remember how to set up skimmers and stuff. I can't believe how much "know-how" I lost in my hiatus.

I believe that I already have a flaw in my "simple" plan....

photo.jpg

The skimmer probably needs to be in a separate tub.....here I go.... :D

I am thinking about a 25 gallon upper round tub that will be plumbed to the lower oval tub.

I think I forget how to do an overflow.

Nonetheless, this will set me back a bit. None of the local farm stores have had a good selection of tubs. The damn farmers must be growing coral again.

Just get another tubs and four bulkheads. drill two at each end. Make sure the overflow side, you plumb both overflows separately. This was the mistake I did with my tubs, plumbed both into one drain. The second will allow you to keep all equipment and LR in there. This way you can keep the top open for eggcrate and lots and lots of corals.

What type of skimmer is that?

It's an Octopus 130 or something.

Just get another tubs and four bulkheads. drill two at each end. Make sure the overflow side, you plumb both overflows separately. This was the mistake I did with my tubs, plumbed both into one drain. The second will allow you to keep all equipment and LR in there. This way you can keep the top open for eggcrate and lots and lots of corals.

Thanks for the ideas!

I went with a 1" bulkhead and an additional 25 gallon tub. I drilled the tub just above halfway so that the skimmer will just need a small lift.

This thread has some good info on the skimmer: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=171488

Thanks girlfrient! I still haven't fired up the skimmer in anything but freshwater. It made bubbles in freshwater---do you think that means it's fine? I hate to keep mehlady waiting for $$$$.

It's slowly coming together. As I mentioned above, I went and purchased a round tub and drilled it for a 1" bulkhead.

I also just bought some stuff on ebay-- (like in the old days!) a Stealth 200W heater and a Koralia Evolution 425GPH pump.

I've looked for some LR on CL but it's all crappy. I will keep scouring the classidifieds....

theres this place in phoenix called top of the reef, its alright, but they had a huge trough (maybe 350) and even though it was just a sump I thought it was so damn pretty! like a tide pool! had a butterfly fish and all this nice lr.

cant wait to see your set up in action

theres this place in phoenix called top of the reef, its alright, but they had a huge trough (maybe 350) and even though it was just a sump I thought it was so damn pretty! like a tide pool! had a butterfly fish and all this nice lr.

cant wait to see your set up in action

I'd like to check that out!

Here's the empty set up--the skimmer will go into the upper round tub.

2009_1206newcam0001.jpg

I used some silicone on the bulkhead tonight and ordered another pump.....

I also bought some live rock off of CL. I couldn't pick it up until next weekend and the seller is traveling from next weekend until the 6/29. That will give me another week to get water in these babies. I'll need it as I just ordered the pumps that I need.

Then I need a bulb---I guess I'ma haveta order that online. ####!

Take note of the fancy stand I am using for the upstream refugium!

Mr. FancyPants indeed!

We knew the skimmer would start up fine, why don't you have it running for a week first, kay?

Mr. FancyPants indeed!

We knew the skimmer would start up fine, why don't you have it running for a week first, kay?

Awesome---I should have water in it within the next 7-10 days.

Are you going to raise the tub up off the floor? Gonna be hard on your back

I thought about raising it up but I think I'm staying lazy and leaving it on the floor. I have a little wheeled stool that I motor around on---it should be perfect.

By stool, I mean chair.

OOPS! Sorry--I spaced!

No water yet---but everything is ready to go.

I have to buy a bucket of salt tomorrow and I get the rock on the 29th.

I just got my nano Koralia and it's amazingly tiny!

Archived