Cultivated Reef

My Biocube 14!

Gvtv44

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Needreefunds

Hey "A", how is your tank? Any new pics?? :rolleyes:

Everything looks to be doing very well for you Bud, congrats!

Where did you pick up the fire fish?

I have cheato in the back... 1.5 chambers full :) I find it doesn't grow quite as well, but it does grow. (I don't have additional lighting though) I plan on buying a new/ bigger tank soon, so I won't be making any changes, but the new one will have a sort of fuge in the back :happy:

MY Decision:

Buy the following:

34 Gallon Cadlights Signature Series- no UV though

150 watt MH, 2 x 24 watt actinic

Moon lights

40 Lbs LS

20- 25 lbs LR (Is this too little? I am going for an "open look". I will probably add more with frags and what not...

Skimmer

Fan cooler

glass top- to use or not to use???

Rotating return

2 or 3 nano koralias (a total of 850+780= 1630gph... that's almost 48 x theoretical turnover!

50 Watt heater- think it will work????

Same coral/ LR

Stand

1 or 2 cleaner shrimp?

Pair of true percs

Any other ideas for fish?

Hermits, snails, etc, etc

C L A M S

Scallops

Chamber 1: Floss-PURA pad- LR rubble

Chamber 2: Skimmer, Heater

Chamber 3: Rubble- maybe mud, mangroves, cheato, other algae, pods, etc

Chamber 4: Pump and ATO

Comments are wanted!

:happy::happy::happy:

Will post layout plans soon :D

If you chaeto doesn't grow very well it may be packed in too tight. It needs room, for water flow through and to be able to tumble a bit.

BB: I was... but it will actually be CHEAPER to buy the CADLIGHTS, and, I feel that they will stand behind their work more, and they are right in NY if I have problems :):lol: Basically more bang for your buck.

Spanko- yea, it is too scrunched up- but rotate it around- from in the tank, to the back chambers- so it stays healthy. With the new tank though, it should grow much better.

Darklyte24: :lol: Yea, it is a jungle in there!

about that damage to your clam next time put it in complete darkness in a stable QT tank. i just heard that without light or moonlight coral and inverts start to do a bit of healing.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my BioCube 14 last night with stand the water is in, and the filters running have the sand in place and some live rock, hope to add something by this weekend, i will have pictures in a few hours.

Im excited to be a new reefer' i just hope i dont over do the tank B)

Michael

:welcome: W: Sounds great, I wish you luck! If you have any ques, ask away ;) If you are patient, RESEARCH, and are willing to learn, your tank will flourish- there is a lot of info in this thread (WOW, 18 pages! I just realized that!) and if you read through it, you will suceed! Good Luck! Oh, and start a tank thread so we can watch your progress and ask any questions you may have (my first ones were about gloves :lol:).

Adin: Yes, it's quite good with milk and sugar :happy: Thanks!

GV

I have been following this thread and you have such a great tank. I am starting a BC 14 also and I was wondering about the chaeto, do you still have it in #3 chamber w/o a light? I was thinking about using a submersable pond led light and put it in #2. What do you think?

:welcome: Thanks for the props! :) Yes, it is still in there, and growing! A submersible led should work pretty good- any links? I have the 3.24 mod, and some light goes over to the back, so I don't have an additional light back there- is yours stock, or modded?

Ask Away!

My tank is not moded and as of now I don't think I will do it. The link for the lights I found is http://www.mainlandmart.com/aquapump.html Its called the FLO 2 about half way down the page. I haven't got it yet but I am thinking about putting it and my chaeto into # 1 with LR in #2 and heater and pump in #3. I will put any of my chemical additives in #2 as needed.

I highly suggest the lighting mod, as it will enable you to keep a much larger variety of coral. I'd put cheato in number 2, as a fuge needs LR and cheato, and with that LED light, you will have yourself a fully functional fuge. 1 should have your filter media- you should gut the cartiridge, and use floss- it will save you A LOT of money $. The pump goes in chamber 3, and the heater can go in 3 or 1. Oh, and you probably don't need an additive, if you use a good salt mix/ salt water. Check a few pages back for the way I have my filtration configured- it works pretty well ;):)

Gasp! Look what the cat dragged in! Can it be

none other than Demartini?

Is it she

that I see?

(Sorry... feeling rather poetic)

Just for you: :flower:

MVITE/AA coral:

Set15.jpg

Set18.jpg

Oh how I love my soapy dish.

Frag on a rock:

Set19.jpg

FTS's

Set110.jpg

Set111.jpg

Set113.jpg

Set13.jpg

All pics taken with my new BLACKJACK! :)

Although the quality is lower, the pics are decent!

Archived