Top Shelf Aquatics

My Biocube 14!

Gvtv44

I got a bunch of zoa frags from oceancube today... great seller! Most of it is open already... pics come tomorrow :)

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey nice tank very clean...and im not bashing it whatsoever and im not familiar with bio cubes back chambers, but instead of having the chaeto in the display cant it go in the back somehwere? or is there no room in the back

Thanks for the compliment :D Funny you ask about the cheato... although I am fine with it in the display portion, I find it detracts from the area I can keep coral... so, I am working on a mini experiment... I have the 3rd chamber empty, so I tossed the drip tray on an angle in there, and put some cheato on top... in a week I will see if it is dead or alive... if it lives... bye bye soap dish! :happy:

Thanks!

:bling: Update- things are moving slowly but surely... I just shelled out ~$90 :bling: on electrical for my timing system: 1 GFCI, 2 Power squids, and 4 Marineland timers- How safe is this??? :eek::scarry:

Just offering up some input on the Corallife products (6 months later -- i just happened to be reading your thread for the first time now!): I bought the Corallife Dual Timer, and it works fine. Nothing digital to fail, which is nice. My only critique is that there is only one "always on" outlet -- so, if you have a heater and a pump (or chiller, or whatever else), you end up short. This is easily fixed, though -- you just need an additional power strip.

Normally, I would discourage over-drawing from a single outlet (i.e. using power strips on top of power strips), but assuming you're just running your tank from that outlet, I can't imagine there is much of an issue here. I assume you're not having any trouble with this anymore.

As an aside, it seems to me that the "single timer" version of the Corallife product doesn't do what we would typically want as far as light controls go (8am to 8pm actinic, 10am to 6pm 10000k, 8pm to 8am lunar led), though it would work well for wave-making functions. I made the mistake of buying one originally, only to return it once I realized it would really only work if you wanted one light on at a time. That's why I have the dual timer one -- and it seems to be perfect, aside from that one small, easily-remedied complaint.

Needreefunds
Thanks for the compliment :D Funny you ask about the cheato... although I am fine with it in the display portion, I find it detracts from the area I can keep coral... so, I am working on a mini experiment... I have the 3rd chamber empty, so I tossed the drip tray on an angle in there, and put some cheato on top... in a week I will see if it is dead or alive... if it lives... bye bye soap dish! :happy:

Thanks!

If it doesn't live, you know who will Hook Ya Up Again!! B)

I think this stuff could live in yur swimming pool :lol: ( well, ok, maybe not. But you get the point!) -_-

tim: So far, it is working great! I LOVE the flexibility of the setup, as I can an outlet out to plug in say, a heater or pump, without disturbing anything... I just don't like all the bulky timers... if only they made small, digital ones :rolleyes:

needreefunds: It is growing great in the display, and so far, it is doing well in chamber 3.. I was looking in there with the hood almost closed today, and it gets a decent amount of light... Imagine having a pool full of cheato :eek:

No pics tonight, as my urchin moved everything, and the coral are mad from me moving them around...

Needreefunds

Pool full O Chaeto!--Just think of da big honkin' pods!! :o

Oh, BTW- I went to Eagle Reefs Saturday! Nice shop, but the guy caught me drooling into his clam tank and he kicked me out :huh::lol:

It looks like he is more geared for his maintenence business than for walk in customers. How about all those kick arse six ft tall skimmers at the end of each row!! He had nice stuff, but don't ya hate it when they dont have prices on anything?

SUPER clean tanks, every one.

Glad to see you had fun :rolleyes: Did he really kick you out? I did the same thing, but I was asked what I was interested in... lol. Oh do I ever hate the no prices thing... I felt the better impression I left, the lower the price would be :lol: But yea, the tanks ave very clean :D Did you buy anything?

Well, I REALLY want a clam, and right now Fraggle reef has 2" crocea for $20! Soo... will it survive under my 72 watts?

Or: Do I upgrade to a BC29, with the 150 MH.... then can I keep like, 6 clams? :lol: It will be almost $1000 between shipping, mods, skimmers, and maybe a chiller :( But think of all the room I'll have! I could sell my BC 14 to defray the cost... but that would only be a small dent :eek:

ya the chaeto will definately live...ive had a huge chunk sittin in back with no light for about 3 months...well whenever i started the tank, and its still bright green. just recently added a fuge light and its growin like mad. do that little mod ive read about, take a little light and scrape off the stuff on the back and tape the light to that spot to seal it from getting out.

p.s. upgrade to the 29...im thinkin about gettin one too

Cool. Yea, but the $$$ is an issue... :lol: Always is... but CLAMS!!! :D

How would I acclimate all my coral.. just toss it in? :lol:

Ok, ready for a BIG update??? (I said update, not upgrade... yet..)

I visited a new LFS today... it is my new favorite shop :happy: I got the following:

DSC01037.jpg

DSC01040.jpg

DSC01041.jpg

DSC01071.jpg

DSC01042.jpg

DSC01045.jpg

DSC01048.jpg

DSC01073.jpg

for $10.

Next, I did a fan mod... a friend of mine came over and did it. My tank has been creeping towards 82.5 degrees, and I like it to max at 81.5. So, we took a computer fan, a power transformer and some good old electrical tape, & plastic zip ties, to get this:

DSC01044.jpg

A hiding conch.

JK, this:

DSC01049.jpg

oops... not supposed to show that yet!

Here it is!

DSC01067.jpg

DSC01068.jpg

DSC01069.jpg

Basically. a circulation fan suspended in mid air, sucking air from the front, against the wall... reason I did it that way? Well, blowing would make a lot of evaporation, so it sukks :P

Random Pic:

DSC01051.jpg

Some of oceancube's zoas:

DSC01046.jpg

(not the acan)

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01043.jpg

Oh... what lurks in the background? ^ (Hint:$ 60)

DSC01064.jpg

DSC01065.jpg

DSC01074.jpg

DSC01059-1.jpg

DSC01055.jpg

DSC01053.jpg

DSC01052.jpg

DSC01050.jpg

DSC01049.jpg

I GOT A CLAM!!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

It's a crocea, right?

IMPULSE BUY!!!

let the flaming begin :(:P

New FTS'S!

DSC01058.jpg

DSC01057.jpg

DSC01056.jpg

Opinions Opinions... I want Opinions!!!!

Needreefunds

New favourite LFS???? C'mon, Bro ya can't hold back that kinda info!!! :lol: Fess up!!

And best of luck with ALL your new additions!!

i think we need maybe just one more pic of the clam...jk looks good, so does the rest of ur stuff...time to upgrade to halides now.

and yes, its a crocea.

Nice clam :)

I think he'll be fine...but it'll be an experiment!

I've got a gigas and maxi, you've got a crocea. Let's see how long they last :P

BTW, I like you zoo garden

Needreefunds: ALL of the, eh? Thanks! I dk.. can you handle this place??? You probably have already been there :lol: : The name is:Red Sands in Dunellen on Rt. 28. Phone # is 732-968-8888. The owner is great! Don't be stealin my deals! :P

BB: Thanks! oK, HEY, if you want more pics, I have more! I figure if it kicks the bucket, I will have $60 worth in pictures from it... No MH for me right yet... but hopefully soon enough ;)

MDeth: Thanks! I hope you are right, and I hope they all live and thrive... and we finally disprove all those MH junkies!

Needreefunds
Needreefunds: ALL of the, eh? Thanks! I dk.. can you handle this place??? You probably have already been there :lol: : The name is:Red Sands in Dunellen on Rt. 28. Phone # is 732-968-8888. The owner is great! Don't be stealin my deals! :P

BB: Thanks! oK, HEY, if you want more pics, I have more! I figure if it kicks the bucket, I will have $60 worth in pictures from it... No MH for me right yet... but hopefully soon enough ;)

MDeth: Thanks! I hope you are right, and I hope they all live and thrive... and we finally disprove all those MH junkies!

Can I handle it? Sure! Can the wallet? Not so sure! Thanks for the info, and no, I did not check them out yet. Last I knew they were fresh water only. Sounds like another one to check out! Not this week tho, already spent "coral money" at Aquatic Obsessions yesterday. I picked up a nice Yuma ( check my thread). Also a cool zoa rock with 3 or 4 varieties on it, but that's in the frag tank for now.

They are reasonable, so if you walk in there with $50, you could get a bunch of large zoa colonies :D I'll check out your thread!

Thanks! That really means a lot coming from you (the owner of the best nano of all time :P ) :happy:

Think the clam will live DeMartini?

looks like it's time to upgrade your lighting... trust me you would love metal halides!!

I'm sorry, but I doubt it will do well under PC lighting... make sure you keep it as close to the light as possible. Does your fish store carry derasa clams? they don't require as much light and I have seen a few people keep them with PC's.

Archived