Pod Your Reef

My Biocube 14!

Gvtv44

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Bigwavedave

Tank is looking great. Your thread is very helpfull since I just set mine up yesterday. I will start a thread tonight.

Thanks for Sharing!

The tank looked awesome up close, cabinet was messy as hell though, specially with all those timers. Well thanks to ur influence I'm starting to get interested in reefing too, course I'd have to do things on a larger scale >.>. Your not planning on stuffing the tank anymore are you? really doubt theres much room left considering the condition of it the last time I saw it XD. Lets hope the other projects will be fruitful as well.

-Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here is a video of my reef:

Taken with a shiatty digicam, looked good on my 19" Widescreen, but youtube killed it :(

Ah well.

Enjoy. :happy:

lol as usual, the media always makes ur tank look so much bigger than it is. Video quality ain't that bad, but it ain't too great either. Could always ask to borrow my digicam/corder if u wanna do something like that, Sony =D.

• 2 weeks later...
purplepeopleeater!

Hey i just bought the bc 14 and i found that its actually only a 9 gallon tank (roughly) which means you have about 2.1lbs of LR/Gallon thats alot unless i missed something cause you have a mighty long thread.

oh and i wanted to thank you cause your thread was a good chunk of my inspiration to get the bc14 and pretty much confirmed that i wanted a saltwater tank

:welcome: !

Glad to be an inspiration!

Yes, you are probably right- did you fill all the chambers and remove the drip tray/ bioballs? Empty I think it was more- probably less now though (coral, sand, LR). You can never have too much LR though! :)

Good Luck!

purplepeopleeater!

so i have a question for you or anyone i have damsel and it is hiding i havent seen it eat. is there a good way to sorta get it to eat like turning off the pump or something it wont leave its little crevasse

purplepeopleeater!

the salinity is within a thousandth of the middle. but i havent been able to buy the test kit or any test equipment yet so i dont know anything about the conditions.

Mynameskenny19

is it possible to keep a catalina goby in a BC14 if i get the cooler thing from inside a mini-fridge and put it in one of the compartments in back? or am i going insane with my idea to keep a small coldwater tank with an "okee person's" water cooler thingy?

very nice tank by the way. i want one of those BC14's so bad!!! only ~$30 left!

:lol: I have no clue- what is it made out of? If it is copper- NOPE! It will kill all yer' (lol) inverts.

Another problem you may have is condensation- I would check out other people's temperate tanks, and post in their threads.

purplepeopleeater!

hey im looking to get some cheato and im unable to find any at my LFSs. considering you have some i was hoping you might know where to get it.

purplepeopleeater!

well right now im in th middle of bum#### nowhere (i go to the university of wisconsin-platteville) but im going back to milwaukee for the weekend two weeks from now

I will send you some... give me an address I can ship it on Monday/ Tuesday from here... I will ship it regular mail, but it should definitely survive. Free of course- PM me ;)

• 9 months later...

UPDATE!!

So, after neglecting my tank for... more than a year (living away from home, school, hard times, etc), not doing ANY water changes, etc. I lost a lot of coral, any fish, and most of my inverts :)

So this past weekend I decided to take action. I did a water change and spent probably close to four hours cleaning things up.

Here is the result:

Top:

photo3.jpg

Side:

photo2.jpg

Side:

photo1.jpg

Front:

photo.jpg

All taken with IPhone 3G :)

So now I am going to start again. Once I get funds, I will add inverts, then fish, then coral. Interestingly enough, after almost everything seemed to be dead or dying two weeks ago, some macro algae came back that grew when I first cycled the tank- sort of inspired me to start again.

As usual, comments, suggestions, etc.

I am looking forward to reefing again, I must applaud myself though, because this stuff lived for OVER a Year with no water changes- shows you how stable these systems really are when done correctly. No nutrients in, none out, just recycling.

***I don't recommend this to anyone by a long shot, haha!!!*****

Archived