Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Biocube 14!

Gvtv44

looks like it's time to upgrade your lighting... trust me you would love metal halides!!

I'm sorry, but I doubt it will do well under PC lighting... make sure you keep it as close to the light as possible. Does your fish store carry derasa clams? they don't require as much light and I have seen a few people keep them with PC's.

For the Derasa clams can you sustain them with stock Biocube 14 lighting??? I would love to get a clam for my new biocube 14, may go with the AP12 70 MH instead not sure, getting it this week!

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looks great...!

I still have my Croeca Clam and it is under the 72 PC's. It even survived a move, I just hope it survives my move this firday. Just don't over feed and you'll be fine.

Good Luck...!

For the Derasa clams can you sustain them with stock Biocube 14 lighting??? I would love to get a clam for my new biocube 14, may go with the AP12 70 MH instead not sure, getting it this week!

for derasas you could probably get away with 72 watts in a 14g....but they get too big too quickly, I have a derasa and he's a monster. i'd say go with the 70mh and get yourself a nice maxima or crocea.

DeMartini: A BC29 with MH upgrade is on the agenda ;) Shhh!!! Don't tell anyone! I'll be accepting donations everyone! :lol:

Ronin: Go for MH, I wish I did... but get a Biocube and upgrade!

RaSooch: Thanks! Glad to hear the yours is doing good... it gives me renewed hope :lol: Good Luck with the move!

Oh, and a lovely little hermit decided to chow down on the mantle the other day... the clam had a hole in the bottom, and you could see right through from above... but it excreted some gray/ whitish material, and the hole is all plugged up :D I am thinking about adding the hermit to a FW tank... and see how it fares against my african cichlids :D

:lol: Yea, me too... I guess I have to wait a while to see how it does... it's funny because I want to see if it survives alright, but I want to upgrade too!

Breaking the myth! (That Rasooch already broke :lol: )

Oh, and a lovely little hermit decided to chow down on the mantle the other day... the clam had a hole in the bottom, and you could see right through from above... but it excreted some gray/ whitish material, and the hole is all plugged up :D I am thinking about adding the hermit to a FW tank... and see how it fares against my african cichlids :D

my pom pom crab did the same thing!

Grrr... stupid crabs... did yours secrete that weird mantle building material and survive?

Give it to your African Cichlids? (I don't even think you have any? :lol:

(I would never do that... it's just its nature, and I introduced it to the tank... unless it killed the clam... then he will meet my 15 lb sledge hammer :happy:

Surf- talk to DM ^ right here :happy: but I suggest either- the viper, the sunpod, or a coralife pendant (would look chic (sp?)), but the nano tuners upgrade (enclosed one)... I see heat issues in the future of anyone who does that... I had problems (now under control thanks to the fan I installed on the last page) with 72 watts of pc! Go open top! (Or topless :naughtydance: )

Grrr... stupid crabs... did yours secrete that weird mantle building material and survive?

Give it to your African Cichlids? (I don't even think you have any? :lol:

(I would never do that... it's just its nature, and I introduced it to the tank... unless it killed the clam... then he will meet my 15 lb sledge hammer :happy:

Surf- talk to DM ^ right here :happy: but I suggest either- the viper, the sunpod, or a coralife pendant (would look chic (sp?)), but the nano tuners upgrade (enclosed one)... I see heat issues in the future of anyone who does that... I had problems (now under control thanks to the fan I installed on the last page) with 72 watts of pc! Go open top! (Or topless :naughtydance: )

right on to that. You wouldnt happen to know what size I would need?

Ronin: Go for MH, I wish I did... but get a Biocube and upgrade!

I ended up buying a 40 gallon TRUVU Aquascape with halide :D i will be open a new thread and postig pics when i get the rest of my rock!!! :lol:

What pic?

BTW... clam no doing so well :( Remember the hole? It's not plugged up, and it's all shriveled up... any advice???

What pic?

BTW... clam no doing so well :( Remember the hole? It's not plugged up, and it's all shriveled up... any advice???

Yeah sorry about that i didnt know how to work the forum yet ;)

post-29225-1183194920_thumb.jpg This is my new tank

The clam will/can heal himself. If you can remove the clam it would be best...but I assume its 'stuck' in the rock?

Don't yank it out! You can try cutting the byssal threads as CLOSE as possible to the rock.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the luck MD, but I came home, and nothing looked very happy....so I look at the clam, and he has furry stuff sticking out of him... I pulled him out, and he stunk like dead fish... he's a gonner! SO I put him on a paper plate outside for the flies to clean up, and I will use his shell to glue zoas on... He was a good clam while he lasted... I really think if my F-ING crab didn't try to EAT him, he would be happy and healthy... oh well... my first loss... :(

Thanks for the help!

Supernip- I come home, and the little bast##ds are all over my biggest colony, and it is all closed... I pulled out a bamboo skewer, and stabbed/ pulled out as many as I saw... a snail genocide... I will kill whenever I see them!!! They laid eggs.... and I can't get them off the zoa colonies... will my other inverts eat them, or do I have to worry?

Went to OGII today, and got for $15:

a neon sponge- 1"

3 mushrooms- .5-1"

some rubble

a zoa- is it PPE?

I believe a colony of neon green palys

a flame scallop (he is a ping pong ball) I tried to move him, and he shot all around the tank... so I put him on the left side, where it is rocky, but right under the cheato- I figure he'll get food that way... any care tips? I just needed something to cheer me up after loosing my clam

and a strand of macro algae

Will post pics

In other news... I am working on the upgrade.... has anyone you seen the shin mao tanks there... what do you think of them? I am considering the 30 gallon, and it comes with a protein skimmer, wet dry (will convert into fuge and rubble and heater area) willl order MH and actinics for it, and it comes with the stand too... basically doubling the size... now to fit it...

don't expect the scallop to live too long. They seem to be short lived.

Will the 14 be FS when you upgrade ?

hey sorry bout the clam man....

and those shin mao tanks look pretty cool, look exactly like finnex tanks, do you know if theyre owned by finnex or the other way around? seriously the stand looks exactly the same as my finnex stand...and the tank looks the same as the newer 22 gallon

Yea, I know... but it looks cool, and it will live longer in my tank than in the LFS's ;) Any tips?

BC14: May or may not be FS... if it is, you will have dibs if you want, but I have a feeling it is going to my work... my boss (dad) wants to set up a nano there... he will have to give me $$$ though :lol: But if that falls through, you will get a pm.

BB: yes, they are strikingly similar- how much did your 30 g cost, and what did it have? (Weighing my options)

pIcS:

What's this called again?

calperla? (sp?)

DSC00024.jpg

Ping pong:

DSC00025.jpg

See how he is secluded? I don't want any trouble!

DSC00027-2.jpg

Clam yest:

DSC01117.jpg

DSC01118.jpg

See the hole in the bottom in the second pic?

At least he had a nice shell I can use... just not worth $60!

When I upgrade- there will be clams! Lots of them!

Paly... id?

DSC01119.jpg

DSC01123.jpg

DSC01124.jpg

Zoa:

DSC01120.jpg

DSC01121.jpg

DSC01125.jpg

That ain't a PPE, is it?

Shrooms:

DSC01128.jpg

DSC01130.jpg

You can see the sponge- in the 3rd photograph (din't want to write pic) from bottom

my 30 is the older model and it cost me 150 for tank and stand...with the fuge and drip tray, no skimmer or light, but the new ones out now not sure how much that one is, i say go for the shin mao, havent seen anyone with one before

I'm just worried about cracks, leaks, etc... I'll have to go it alone modding... but with a skimmer and MH already there, we are talking pump mods... easy peasy stuff ;) Ok, I think I'll do it, but I will research a little first... let's see what the rest of N-R.com has to say :)

Needreefunds

Hey Bud,

Very sorry about the clam, that sux.

Looks like you got yourself a piece of OGII grape Caulerpa??

And you put that in your tank on purpose?? :eek::scarry:omgomgomg --Quick, call the cops, or OEM, or HAZMAT-- get it out while you still have a chance!!!

OK, OK, but seriously I have been fighting that stuff since I started my cube. When I first got my live rock it had two or three pieces on it. At the time it was cool, you know, something to look at while the tank cycled -----( NOOB!!). That stuff grows FAST and EVERYWHERE. Constant trimming and pulling. I will NEVER be able to rid this tank of it without total break down. I had done a search a while back and it seemed the bad out weighed the good as far as keeping grape in a Nano. JME, this is just one frustrated, grape fighting, (and losing), still newbie reefer's opinion, but if I had it to do over again....... Bye-bye- grape!!

Oh, and I checked out Red Sand yesterday. He looks like he is still setting up, but a nice shop. Nice clean tanks. Parking sux :lol: He was pretty cleaned out. Nice prices though ( six line for $12???) pretty good for around here! I will check them out from time to time. Thank you for the info!

WTH is we me lately... buying with out researching rolleyes

Well, I have it isolated... let's see how it goes for a little while...

Have YOU seen the Shin Mao tanks in OG2? What do you think?

Archived